What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Around 1998, based upon notes left by Orson Welles in the files at Universal, Rick Schmidlin set out to perform surgery at Universal, re-creating to the best of the studio's abilities, and with studio exec Bob O'Neil as his technical go-to, a version of the film close to what Mr. Welles might have wanted.

And in most ways, it works.

Previously released by Universal in Blu-ray format, with all three versions of the film - general release, preview and reconstruction on a single disc with branching, left it a tad cramped for space.

Kino has gone 180 degrees opposite, and while they probably could have branched a couple of versions, has given us a release with each version on its own 4k disc.

Things couldn't be better.

Removing the main titles from the opening sequence is just the tip of the iceberg here, as viewers can better follow the intricacies of the moving camera, as suspense builds after the placement of a bomb.

The foreign background to the original main title shows a bit of wear, but it works nicely, and while the entire film
may not have true 4k resolution, it's certainly above 2, and is therefore appreciated.

Resolution tracks nicely. Black levels work, with whites occasionally pushed out via Dolby Vision, a bit further than I recall in prints, but for those who appreciated heightened whites...

Those familiar with Mr. Welles' earlier work will find similar tech attributes here. Those not yet educated will find Touch of Evil an interesting place to begin.

At $32 for all three versions on 4k, this is also a bargain, and probably one of the most historically important 4k releases of the year.

Image – 4.25 (HDR)

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have seen this movie many times and have most of the disc releases on my shelf. Viewed this new Kino release a week ago and have to say it's the best looking image i have ever seen of the film. It's nice to see more of Orson's films on 4K.

Reactions: PMF

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I watched the Theatrical cut the other night and thought it looked fabulous! What a great film, and I'm more than happy to have all three versions in 4K.

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Have seen this movie many times and have most of the disc releases on my shelf. Viewed this new Kino release a week ago and have to say it's the best looking image i have ever seen of the film. It's nice to see more of Orson's films on 4K.
Cannot wait to get my copy of this! In my top ten and my fave of Welles' films (yes, even more than CK.) I do miss the Mancini score over the main titles though. But visually it's Welles at his peak.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I wonder if the 2 discs Eureka vs the 3 discs by Kino, would mean downgrade of quality...

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Eureka review is up on the other site - Dr. Svet.

That Orson Welles guy has cost me so much money. :angry:

Last edited:

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
The MoC was encoded by FIM so, whatever else that other review dite says it will by optimal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eureka review is up on the other site - Dr. Svet.

That Orson Welles guy has cost me so much money. :angry:
Getting that 100-page book isn't enough for me to purchase this MOC release. I'm happy with the Kino 4K release and its five different audio commentaries. At least three of those commentaries are again included in this MOC release.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I might be tempted if there was a significant price reduction (before they all sell out), but otherwise I couldn't justify it for the book. One of the reasons I bought the KL set was for the Tim Lucas commentary, which I note is not included with the MoC set.

mskaye

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I might be tempted if there was a significant price reduction (before they all sell out), but otherwise I couldn't justify it for the book. One of the reasons I bought the KL set was for the Tim Lucas commentary, which I note is not included with the MoC set.
I'm going to buy it - I love these deluxe packages of my fave films. There can't be enough written about TOUCH OF EVIL. To me, it stands elbow to elbow with CITIZEN KANE as Welles' greatest achievement in cinema. I can go on and on...and might.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks