What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Army of Darkness -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Children around the world will probably be dressing up this Halloween as Bruce Campbell, the beloved comic star of the original Evil Dead series, which arrived way back in 1981. Army of Darkness came 11 years thereafter.

As part of an attempt to get over 500 Halloween themed films in the marketplace this year in 4k, Scream Factory has been doing its part.

Evil Dead almost seems to be in a position of its own in the comedy / horror genre. What others play to this fanbase?

Scream's new 4k does a meticulous job of extracting data from the original film elements, and interestingly we can see the film's budgetary roots in some of the effects, which are a bit exposed in 4k. Regardless, those areas without plates look beautiful in this new release, which will be a fan favorite.

Grain structure seems authentic, color, densities, black levels are all fine. Audio is room-filling in DTS-HD MA 5.1.

The big thing for fans will be that this is a four-disc set, in a beautifully produced steelbook.

The main disc is the feature in 4k in its Theatrical version. Three Blu-rays contain the same Theatrical along with a slew of quality extras, The Director's Cut with more extras, and finally the International Cut in HD, and the Television Cut of the film in SD, along with - you guessed it - more extras.

Scream has once again gone full Criterion to give fans their money's worth. The Steelbook is currently $35 for pre-order, while in standard plastic the cost is $28, also with 4 discs.

Will the steelbook become a collectible, and worth the $7 up-charge? I betting that scalpers already have in their orders.

Image – 5 (Dolby Vision)

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1 & 2.0 Stereo)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 3.75

Highly Recommended

RAH

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
army-of-darkness-evil-dead-groovy.gif

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
I'm glad this looks good, but I already have the 4-disc Blu ray set that shout put out some time ago. And, personally, I think my Steelbook looks better than this iteration.

Since there are 500 other 4ks coming out this fall, I can't justify upgrading this one. Especially since the director's cut is my preferred cut, and that ending is what it is quality-wise. I doubt 4k would do anything for it.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
There are a some people complaining about the lack of a 4K version of the director's cut, but speaking as someone who prefers the theatrical cut anyway, and considers the DC more of a novelty, I really need to pick up this set!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I didn't think the DC elements existed in any condition that would support 4K? Isn't it basically a "frankenstein" cut made up of scraps and leftovers?

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
The director's cut has a few changes here and there throughout the movie, but a completely different ending. The elements for the ending are not in good condition and would not benefit from 4k.

I don't mind that the DC isn't in 4k. I'm sure the theatrical cut looks good in 4k. It's just that the only difference between this set and the 4-disc Blu set I already own is the theatrical cut in 4k. Shout doesn't normally discount their titles over time, though there is the occasional sale.

I just don't want to spend that much on a set that is 98% redundant to what I already own. This is a great set, and if someone doesn't already own a copy of this film the 4k seems to be the way to go.

Maybe in a few months if the barrage of new 4k titles slows down I may pick this up, but right now I can't justify it to myself.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I picked this up yesterday. I swear this is the movie I’ve bought on the most formats: VHS, DVD, HD DVD and now 4K steelbook, which was only $3 more here. Go figure. My price was $29.13 US or $39.99 Cdn. Not complaining for a 4 disc set.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just reporting in on first impressions. This is the best this film has ever looked, hands down. The Introvision process always had a bit of fakery to it, but in the context of this film, it doesn't matter, as it pays due homage to the works of Harryhausen et al. This has always been one of my favourite movies from day one, and to see it so splendidly represented is an absolute joy.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think the DC elements existed in any condition that would support 4K? Isn't it basically a "frankenstein" cut made up of scraps and leftovers?
The D.C. exists as an Interpositive, as does the European cut. IPs (and other dupes, inclusive of prints for DR. STRANGELOVE and CITIZEN KANE) have been used for UHDs.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks