What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Throughout the millennium many types of motion pictures have been labeled as "trash."

One can return to as far as 1896 for Edison's epic drama "The Kiss," which had members of censorship boards fainting after leaving a screening.

There have been big-budgeted attempts to place actresses in varying modes of (un)dress on the great silver sheet. From pernicious flappers to ancients bathing in cow's milk, the motion picture industry has always had a way of presenting new forms of titillation.

Move forward decades, and you'll find that high-end trash has a following, brings in nice monetary rewards, and becomes "guilty pleasures."

Think Paul Verhoeven's wonderful Showgirls is a crowd-pleaser and deliriously fun film.

Which brings us to Wild Things, directed by John McNaughton via Mandalay Entertainment, which is being released on 4k via Arrow.

The film features Kevin Bacon, Matt Dillon, Theresa Russell...

along with Neve Campbell and Denise Richards.

Shot in Florida, with all of the heat, humidity trappings of the wonderful south. Think Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil mit out spanish moss.

It's a testament to the type of film, that a basic Google search about cut versus uncut versions will appropriately bring up the question, "so how nekkid to Neve and Denise get? How much more of them do we see in the uncut version?"

And this is precisely where the concept of wonderfully, beloved, trashy films comes in, as this one is right up there in the genre.

Production values are fine. Photography by Jeffrey Kimball perfectly reflects the locales, as well as steamy flesh.

Colors pop off the screen. The image is highly resolved, with a crisp sheen of grain, great blacks, and wonderful shadow detail.

Arrow's 4k shines.

It's a worthy addition to one's "guilty pleasure" shelf.

Image – 5 (HDR)

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Plays nicely with projectors - Yes

Makes use of and works well in 4k - 4.25

RAH

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Excellent news that we finally have a UHD release for this special kind of eye candy.

I noticed that Sony has a 4K DCP available so it is nice that they worked something out with Arrow:

Park Circus.PNG

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Wonderful movie. Stellar cast. Matt Dillon has always been underrated; I thought he was great ever since I saw him in a little classic, 'My Bodyguard'. And can't see enough of Neve and Denise. Kevin Bacon is as brilliant as ever. Wish more films were as well cast as this!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Has Neve Campbell's career stalled? I thought she was really good in this movie and I like to see what else she has done.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Has Neve Campbell's career stalled? I thought she was really good in this movie and I like to see what else she has done.
I guess it depends on your definition of stalled but she's been a working actors for over 25 years which is more than most actors can say.

If you like horror movies then I'd suggest watching the five Scream movies. She was also semi-recently in House Of Cards and an episode of Mad Men.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I guess it depends on your definition of stalled but she's been a working actors for over 25 years which is more than most actors can say.

Agreed, not everybody can become a superstar. Being able to work constantly and keeping you head straight in this business is very good already.

If you like horror movies then I'd suggest watching the five Scream movies. She was also semi-recently in House Of Cards and an episode of Mad Men.

I really liked her in Wild Things and Three to Tango so this is one movie that I would like to add. Not a big fan of the Scream movies but of course Scream made her famous.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

Thank you. I'm not a fan of horror movies and that may be why I haven't seen most of her work.

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Love this movie in the best 'guilty pleasure' type of way. Looking forward to this one!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I was feeling a little guilty clicking on this link, and then I found this unexpected support group. Time to preorder...

Funny story: I just watched Starship Troopers for the first time after my initial viewing when it came out in theaters. I remember at the time feeling bad for Rico for not getting with Denise (given my early 20s taste in women). But at middle age, I was like "dude, totally hook up with Dina Meyer and forget Denise". :laugh:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Thanks for the review. I haven't owned this on home video so as not double/triple dipping, it doesn't feel like an indulgence!

I've probably said this before, but 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' is my favourite movie (book) title.

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Not to turn this into a Showgirls thread, but my buddies and I would have cheesy movie nights where we'd watch stuff like Miami Connection, Maximum Overdrive, etc. Showgirls is the only movie we ever turned off. :emoji_sweat:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Funny story: I just watched Starship Troopers for the first time after my initial viewing when it came out in theaters. I remember at the time feeling bad for Rico for not getting with Denise (given my early 20s taste in women). But at middle age, I was like "dude, totally hook up with Dina Meyer and forget Denise". :laugh:

Same, Carlo. Same.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Oooh, thanks for the tip. I've never listened to it. Now I have an excuse to appreciate the eye candy again. :)
I haven’t either. I just looked it up on “My Movies” app and the commentary is called “The Greatest Movie Ever Made”. Just a little hyperbole there. So the commentary is fun?

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Excellent news that we finally have a UHD release for this special kind of eye candy.

I noticed that Sony has a 4K DCP available so it is nice that they worked something out with Arrow:

View attachment 134836
Sony doesn't let licensee's do transfers, so Arrow had nothing to do with this master (other than encoding the disc.)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Oooh, thanks for the tip. I've never listened to it. Now I have an excuse to appreciate the eye candy again. :)

I thought that commentary was pretty terrible. From my review:

"Apparently Schmader runs annotated screenings of the flick during which he chats about it as it proceeds. I guess he saves the good material for the paying customers, as his commentary seems less than scintillating.

Expect almost no information about the film’s creation. Schmader tosses out a handful of remarks about some cut sequences as well as Verhoeven’s motivation and that’s about it. Otherwise he simply snickers at the movie and makes fun of it.

That’d be fine if he offered more entertaining statements. His cracks tend to be fairly lame and obvious, and he also fails to speak much of the time. Schmader remains silent during the vast majority of the film. I don’t know if that’s good or bad; since what he says seems so pointless, I can’t imagine this painful commentary would fare better if he talked more frequently. Anyway, skip this dud unless you can’t live without a screening of Showgirls narrated by a mostly unfunny MST3K wannabe."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks