What's new

Touch of Evil (50th Anniversary Edition) 10-07-08 (See Post# 14) (1 Viewer)

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee

This Island Earth was 2:1.

The Killers was shot for TV as I understand. Quite the exception. Almost every American film, and certainly every major studio film, made from 1954-55 onwards were shot for widescreen

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

It's obvious that it refers to Welles wanting to shoot in CinemaScope since all but 4-7 of Universal's 28 feature releases in 1957 were shot anamorphic. Like most 1.85:1 films shot on normal 35mm, it was certainly shot "full frame" 1.37:1, but always with 1.85:1 matting in mind.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

I have to believe you're being argumentative for no reason other than to be argumentative, therefore I shall not respond beyond this one post:

Everyone here uses 1:85 when talking about 1:85:1 - so if you think you're being clever, you're not.

See the post below about the 2:1 This Island Earth and other Universal films.

The Killers was not filmed for theatrical exhibition, it was filmed for television and later it was decided to put it into theaters, where it was shown in the only way it could be shown in theaters - 1:85. So, bad example. No late 1950s film in the US for theatrical exhibition was shot in Academy ratio because 98% of the theaters could not have shown it.

Chimes At Midnight should be either 1:66 or 1:85 - full frame is not correct and just because you thought it looked fine doesn't make it right.

If you want any further response from me, try being a little less snarky.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

You are so right. It appears that Simon Howson needs a little history lesson in aspect ratios.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I never did buy the restored version of this, I've only seen the whatever version was issued on VHS. can't wait for the set to come out!

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
There is studio documentation dictating that This Island Earth was to be shown at 2.1. It's not some illogical assumption, its simple facts

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Unfortunately, many have only seen the reconstructed version on DVD or TCM. I certainly prefer the reconstruction, but I saw the old theatrical version so many times over the years, that it has always bothered me that nobody sees it anymore. You almost cannot appreciate the improvement in the reconstruction without seeing the old one, with the music and credits over the opening scene.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

I'm sure he won't believe that either. I wonder if he replies to each and every post here where someone abbreviates 1:85 - seems pretty obvious what everyone's talking about when they do it, but no, we get a history lesson in mathematics. I'm fairly certain that he didn't know what an aspect ratio was prior to the advent of DVD. I wonder if he's a teenager, because his snarkiness would sure lead one to believe he is. I guess there are always people like this on these types of boards. I see no further reason for discourse with someone like that who's being vitriolic - and for what reason?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

The Universal DVD of This Island Earth is 1.37:1, as are many of the films in their sci-fi box sets -- the only exception is The Incredible Shrinking Man, where the FX shots were hard matted, forcing them to do the entire film that way.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
The Universal PAL (region 2,4,5) version is 1.85:1 I must admit I'm finding it puzzling that Universal released this film full frame for the NTSC transfer, when many in this thread are convinced it is meant to be shown in the uncommon 2:1 ratio.

I'm happy to step out on a limb and say that if the film was released on 35mm anamorphic prints (like SuperScope) then it is probably true that 2:1 was the intended ratio. But if the film was released on flat prints, then 1.85:1 is more likely right. It doesn't make sense to me that a studio would crop a film to 2:1, but not utilise most of a CinemaScope screen's width.

But anyway, back to Touch of Evil...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks