What's new

UHD Review Total Recall: 30th Anniversary UHD Review (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Regarding the soundtrack, I’ll be picking that up too, I always try to add more Goldsmith scores to my collection. I’m not familiar to the Quartet label, I imagine this is a good transfer or you wouldn’t be recommending it?
Bruce and I used the original 48-track digital tapes for that release.

If you're ordering from Quartet, they also have The Great Train Robbery which I produced for them last year. It's another top Goldsmith score. It's completely different than TR, but it's recorded with the same orchestra. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil! I’ve never seen The Great Train Robbery, but I’ve been collecting Connery films I’ve not seen yet. So this is great to know about the score.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
My favorite Arnie, Sharon Stone and Carolco movies. I had the laserdisc then the DVD, skipped the first Blu-ray because of bad picture quality, bought the remastered Blu-ray (it's excellent by the way), I believe I'm done.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sorry for the slight sidebar. Neil, I was checking the Quartet site and the prices are in euros? Does that mean this is a European company and they ship from Europe? Looking at the same CD’s on Amazon they cost more at Amazon then direct from Quartet if I did the conversion right. But maybe the shipping costs evens out the Amazon price.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
My favorite Arnie, Sharon Stone and Carolco movies. I had the laserdisc then the DVD, skipped the first Blu-ray because of bad picture quality, bought the remastered Blu-ray (it's excellent by the way), I believe I'm done.
It's never been a visual feast, but the 4K iTunes stream is noticeably better than the remastered blu-ray, even at 1080p.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Sorry for the slight sidebar. Neil, I was checking the Quartet site and the prices are in euros? Does that mean this is a European company and they ship from Europe? Looking at the same CD’s on Amazon they cost more at Amazon then direct from Quartet if I did the conversion right. But maybe the shipping costs evens out the Amazon price.
Yes, they are based out of Spain. Both are available in the states from Screen Archives.

Total Recall
The Great Train Robbery

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I will definitely be getting my ass back to Mars with this edition. Based on its filmic (is this a word? if so I probably used it incorrectly) contemporaries I don't have high video quality expectations. For whatever reason (RAH and other film historians could probably explain why) many films shot in the 80s and early 90s just looked..."cheap" by comparison. Like film stock quality declined or something. I don't know, but this movie has never been one I put on for "reference quality" video.

I put it on because it's a hell of a lot of fun and I look forward to wishing I had three hands soon.

Yeah its just a lousy looking film although the last blu-ray transfer blew all other releases out of the water.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Bump for release day. I still gotta check the Blu sorry!
Yikes thanks for the reminder! I just put an order in for the BB Steelbook (yes I love this movie that much) and it's the *last* one at my local store. Hope they find it and it's in good shape. Hopefully will pick it up after work meetings today.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
A box just arrived at my door that’s supposed to have the new Total Recall 4K blu ray digital set. I have not opened it yet, but will later this evening. When I ordered it, I thought it is a steelcase and I thought that seemed unusual for an item from Amazon, so I guess this release is not unique to Best Buy.

I also have the new Total Recall soundtrack score on order. :)

Good luck Carlo!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
It's not looking good. Usually I get a confirmation within an hour. None yet and it's been several...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A box just arrived at my door that’s supposed to have the new Total Recall 4K blu ray digital set. I have not opened it yet, but will later this evening. When I ordered it, I thought it is a steelcase and I thought that seemed unusual for an item from Amazon, so I guess this release is not unique to Best Buy.

I also have the new Total Recall soundtrack score on order. :)

Good luck Carlo!
You haven’t opened it yet, have you? I just opened mine and it’s not a steel case. I’ll search for it tomorrow, but I vaguely remember posting in perhaps the release announcement thread that I was happy with the price and it was a steel case to boot.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just got it ten minutes before they closed down curbside. It certainly looks like a steelcase from the outside of the packaging.

and it does have the claim of only at Best Buy steel book sticker on the outside.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
6C144EDE-0FD0-4215-B35B-861EC9F42259.png
here is a pic I took of it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also the steelcase and regular are two different skus and prices. The steelcase was more, $18.99. But it’s total recall. So I ate the up charge.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ll open mine tomorrow, had a late night with work and a workout. Based on what Carlo shows, I guess the steel case in a Best Buy exclusive. Looks good Carlo!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks