What's new

UHD Review Total Recall: 30th Anniversary UHD Review (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
For context I'll put Sam's original quote here (I really dislike how this not-so-new-now forum software makes you do extra clicks to get to the meat of reviews and also the Round-up):
Similarly there is a new Atmos encode but it too is subtly better than previous editions. It’s -accurate-, detailed and airy, with stuff well positioned throughout the presentation. But it’s still late 80s sound technology, for good or bad, fed into Atmos without being fundamentally re-done. There’s not a ton of bass and I think that will be the biggest sticking point, but Goldsmith’s soundtrack is more amazing than ever and its hold on the film is stronger because of Atmos.
I agree with this completely. Especially the part I bolded.

Clearly Lionsgate didn't feel the need (or want to spend the money) to create a new sound mix with Atmos overhead surround effects and super-active bass channels. To be honest, given the overall lack of sound effects fidelity (meaning the original sounds of explosions and tech that were used in the late 80s) the result might have sounded weird. Not sure when sound design for effects really took off and started sounding hyperrealistic and dynamic, but it wasn't that at the time this film was made.

I think this only highlights what the Star Wars sound crew (and Ben Burtt in particular) were doing in those films, in how far ahead of the competition they were. Nearly every other 70s and 80s films pale in comparison to what they accomplished, in terms of the quality, fidelity, and realism of sound effects (inasmuch as we can imagine what those space weapons should sound like).

Given that, I agree with Sam's score of 3.5. This is a faithful recreation of an 80's era soundtrack. In fact I'd argue that simply turning the knobs and moving the sliders (i.e. putting effects in overhead Atmos channels, adding dBs to the sub channel) would make the original audio's weaknesses stand out even more. We know the sound effects are dated (like the whooshing sound after Richter shoots through the glass in the airport terminal). To make that louder, or bassier, or more active in the overhead channels would only serve to draw even more attention to the dated sound effects.

In a case like this, the only way to give a truly 2020 style Atmos presentation would be to re-record the entire soundtrack, including updated effects sounds; something which I'm sure neither Lionsgate nor (probably) the original talent have an appetite for. And would likely clash with the 80s style cinematography as well.

Just my take on it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
For context I'll put Sam's original quote here (I really dislike how this not-so-new-now forum software makes you do extra clicks to get to the meat of reviews and also the Round-up):

I agree with this completely. Especially the part I bolded.

Clearly Lionsgate didn't feel the need (or want to spend the money) to create a new sound mix with Atmos overhead surround effects and super-active bass channels. To be honest, given the overall lack of sound effects fidelity (meaning the original sounds of explosions and tech that were used in the late 80s) the result might have sounded weird. Not sure when sound design for effects really took off and started sounding hyperrealistic and dynamic, but it wasn't that at the time this film was made.

I think this only highlights what the Star Wars sound crew (and Ben Burtt in particular) were doing in those films, in how far ahead of the competition they were. Nearly every other 70s and 80s films pale in comparison to what they accomplished, in terms of the quality, fidelity, and realism of sound effects (inasmuch as we can imagine what those space weapons should sound like).

Given that, I agree with Sam's score of 3.5. This is a faithful recreation of an 80's era soundtrack. In fact I'd argue that simply turning the knobs and moving the sliders (i.e. putting effects in overhead Atmos channels, adding dBs to the sub channel) would make the original audio's weaknesses stand out even more. We know the sound effects are dated (like the whooshing sound after Richter shoots through the glass in the airport terminal). To make that louder, or bassier, or more active in the overhead channels would only serve to draw even more attention to the dated sound effects.

In a case like this, the only way to give a truly 2020 style Atmos presentation would be to re-record the entire soundtrack, including updated effects sounds; something which I'm sure neither Lionsgate nor (probably) the original talent have an appetite for. And would likely clash with the 80s style cinematography as well.

Just my take on it.

Carlo, you are 100% spot on here. An entirely new mix would have had to be redone.

I'm just reporting the overall experience on my end and that of which I have been reading on the Internet.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
The best summary would be: this is a great reproduction of a not-great soundtrack. :D

It reminds me of the warning put on early CDs (remember those?): about how the fidelity of the new-fangled compact disc was so clear, it could reveal flaws inherent in the source material. That was back when they used to put the AAD/ADD/DDD labels on discs.

#80sflashbacks

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As I said in my post above, I thought the opening titles music sounded thin, no bass, and the rears sounded much stronger then the front while the score was playing during the titles. Once the film started I was ok with the sound. You’re right Carlo pointing out this is a soundtrack from a different era.

I can’t wait to receive the Goldsmith score and listen to that. I‘m sure it will sound slightly different because it’s not mixed into the film soundtrack.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, FYI, about a week ago I was looking at the Best Buy app for the Total Recall steel book edition. At the time of release the steel book sold out so I wasn’t able to order it online.I was pleasantly surprised to see the steel case was back in stock. I like the steel book design so much, I went ahead and ordered a copy and it arrived a couple of days ago. I was worried as it arrived in a thin padded envelope. I opened it and the steel case appears OK, though I have not removed the shrink wrap yet. I did get the regular case version at the time of release so now I have two copies! I’m not even that big a fan of the movie. I like it a lot, but this was kind of crazy because I wanted the steel case. :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Guys, FYI, about a week ago I was looking at the Best Buy app for the Total Recall steel book edition. At the time of release the steel book sold out so I wasn’t able to order it online.I was pleasantly surprised to see the steel case was back in stock. I like the steel book design so much, I went ahead and ordered a copy and it arrived a couple of days ago. I was worried as it arrived in a thin padded envelope. I opened it and the steel case appears OK, though I have not removed the shrink wrap yet. I did get the regular case version at the time of release so now I have two copies! I’m not even that big a fan of the movie. I like it a lot, but this was kind of crazy because I wanted the steel case. :)
Well Steelcase is ...
1609817947887.png

... the desk of the FUTURE :D!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! I used to work at a company that was affiliated with Steelcase. So it was a slip of the tongue.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Never did buy this and I don't trust any comment over at Blu-ray.com as far as I can throw it so...is it worth upgrading the 2012 disc*?

*which I think looks pretty good considering Total Recall's always been kind of a lousy looking movie.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Never did buy this and I don't trust any comment over at Blu-ray.com as far as I can throw it so...is it worth upgrading the 2012 disc*?

*which I think looks pretty good considering Total Recall's always been kind of a lousy looking movie.
I don't have the disc but do have the 4K digital, and it looks much better than the 2012 blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks