What's new

Toshiba TW56X81 problems (1 Viewer)

SureshG

Auditioning
Hi,

recently our Toshiba TW56X81 power led started blinking and the screen went blank. Now whenever the set is turned on the power led blinks. Only way to get out of the mode is to unplug the set. We called the local service person and he changed the following parts ;

STK392-100 (3 Channel convergence circuit IC) and
2SC5143 (transistor for horizontal deflection output - switching application)

Replacing those things did not fix the problem. Now he is claiming that the yoke of green CRT is shorted out and it needs a replacement. I want to know if I am being taken for a ride or if the repair person is clueless of the problem ?

Thanks,

Suresh

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
This is a tough problem. From what I read (and experienced with my Mitsubishi), the blinking LED and the screen blanking are a kind of "general protection shut-down" that occurs for safety reasons. The bad news is, it could be caused by just about anything. The set senses that something ain't right and shuts down. Then the tech has to try to deduce the problem, or hit on it by trial and error. I've heard of the convergence circuit chip being a culprit, so replacing it seems reasonable to me.
Note: This is just feedback, not an authoritative answer! :) I am no tech!
With my Mits, the tech spent several hours testing every little part, replaced a few leaky capacitors, etc., but ultimately had to admit failure. The 8-year-old set went out to the curb.
Your service tech might indeed be clueless, but I wouldn't assume so based solely on what you've said so far. This problem is a toughie.
Best of luck to you!
Jan

SteveBridge

Auditioning
I had the same problem in October 2002, it went to the shop and took 2 weeks for repair and parts. Toshiba had to order the parts from the factory. The same parts you referenced were replaced.
The set just failed again 27 Dec 2002 with the same problem. Looks like another visit to the repair shop!

Steve bridge

SteveBridge

Auditioning
I just found another post with a similar problem. I placed my set in TheaterWide mode, started Menu to change the Theater Mode from T1 to T2 and it failed. Tried it several time and got a consistent failure.

This appears to be a somewhat common problem with Toshiba TW sets.

Hope this info helps

SteveBridge

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
This appears to be a somewhat common problem with Toshiba TW sets.
I don't know how common it is, but I've read a number of posts about it, so there's something wrong somewhere. Just don't let Toshiba off the hook about it. Keep going up the chain of command until you get satisfaction.

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks