What's new

Help with Center Channel Placement (weight of speaker?) (1 Viewer)

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
My Klipsch R*-3IIs came today! A question regarding center channel placement, my previous sony center sat atop my television, a Toshiba TW56X81. The new Klipsch center is much bigger and weighs about 29 pounds. Is it ok to put the center channel on top of the TV like the Sony. Unfortunately, I dont really have any alternative, so if it could cause a problem, i'd need to build some type of rack system over my tv for the center (TV is too far away from the wall to mount it there). I must say upon opening them, that they absolutely dwarf my old Sonys! Can't wait to start rewatching some dvds, especially LotR! Thanks for the help!

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
My center speaker is more than 30 pounds, but works out fine sitting atop my 32" Panasonic, it's a Boston Acoustics VR-12.

There should be no problem placing a 29 pound speaker on top of a big set like your Toshiba.

Tom_Maher

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply, scouring around here I did find a few more instances of 25+ pound center channel speakers sitting TVs ranging from the 32" on up. Seems to sit fine on my tv, all I need to do is slightly aim it down to the listening position.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Tom,
I think you'd be smart to build some sort of support. The plastic of your TV's top is only going to hold up so long! Most of the mods I've seen involve cutting some plywood/mdf to the exact same size as the top of your tv, painting it to match, and putting your components on top of that. That way, it evenly distributes the weight and doesn't cause sag, which I've seen in person and it's ugly! Good luck!

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks