Yamaha Rx-V3300 and On Screen Display

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Winkler, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

I've had this unit for a couple of months now and I'm puzzled by the On Screen Display. I have the receiver connected to my TV ( Toshiba TW56X81 HD RPTV )through the component video inputs ( for DVD & Xbox )and the manual states it will display the OSD when using said inputs.

It does display it but it is split in two with the left and right sides in the middle instead of on the sides as would be normal ( if that makes sense ). Any Yamaha owners out there have any suggestions or the same problem?? I know the newer Rx-V2400 does it correctly.

Thank you,

Steve

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Are you saying the screen is garbled somewhat? Do DVDs and games look ok?

Try playing with the settings , Grey back on and off, OSD position etc., also i'd double check the connections.

3. Steve Winkler

Hey James, the receiver displays my component video sources just fine i.e. DVD and Xbox. It's only when I bring the OSD that things are strange. I'll try describing it like this, if you ripped a sheet of paper in half and put the two pieces back together with the un-ripped edges now the center and the ripped edges are now the outside edge of the paper. On screen position moves the OSD around but it still isn't displayed correctly. Grey back ON/OFF doesn't seem to do anything either. It's not a huge issue but annoying at this level of receiver.

Thanks for any more help.

Steve

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Hi Steve, I cannot offer much else other than I do not use my component inputs on the receiver so as far as I know mine may do the same thing.
    Give me your specific configuration and I'll try mine like that and let you know the results.

I'd give Yamaha tech support a call...you might try the US tech support if you don't get anywhere with tech support in Canada.

5. Steve Winkler

James,

I've been reading through the manual a little more and it mentions that the OSD is somehow linked to the composite and/or s-video connections. I currently have no s-video or composite sources running into the receiver, those sources (dth satellite and VHS) are straight into the TV. Maybe that is the problem.

My current set-up is this:

DVD into receiver via component inputs
    XBOX into receiver via component inputs
    component out on receiver to component input on Toshiba TV

HDTV into component input on Toshiba TV
    VHS into composite input on Toshiba TV
    Regular DTH satellite into S-video input on Toshiba TV

I rarely use my VHS, but I may change the hook-up scenario there and run it through my receiver and have it up converted to S-video and out to my TV. Perhaps then the OSD will work as it should.

Cheers,

Steve