Toshiba TV too sharp?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Christoff, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Christoff

Christoff Auditioning

I just got the 24AF44 for my office. I didn't spend alot of time comparing them, because I will only use it to watch football and basketball games.

All of the images seemed to have false edges to them so I turned the sharpness all the way down, and that didn't help. I hooked up a DVD player and put in Video Essentials. Even with the sharpness at zero, there is still a white edge on that circle pattern.

Also the reds are a little overwhelming when the color is set with that blue film thing.

Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to take it back for a TV closer to my tastes?

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Try google and search for a way to turn off Velocity Scan Modulation (VSM, or SVM as its also known as... Scan Velocity Modulation) on your set

3. Christoff

Christoff Auditioning

Thanks Nick. I've never heard of that SVM thing, but thats appearantly the problem. Other people seem to hate it too.

According to my research I have two options:

1) Open TV case and fiddle with stuff to fix it.

-or-

2) Return TV to Best Buy and get non-crappy TV.

Guess which one I'm gonna do.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I'm not sure if you set has it but some other Toshiba Tube models Turn "OFF" the SVM when you set it to the "Movie" Mode (Theater Mode? or whatever Toshiba calls it) so you might want to try that & then adjust your settings for that mode.