What's new

Toshiba, Hitachi, Pioneer or Mitsubishi (1 Viewer)

Neeraj

Grip
Ok, I am starting to build my home theater and am completely confused with what TV to buy. I am interested in buying a WS HDTV monitor in the 53"-57" size. We have a 17' X 12' room so if any of you think the 57" is going to be too big let me know (I guess our viewing distance will be about 14' once the Tv is set and the couch comes in).
Until about 3 weeks ago, I seemed pretty set on the Toshiba 57HX81 but I have heard repeatedly of their "ghosting" problem (not sure what exactly this means). Also, I heard that the power sometimes just turns off and back on automatically (is this ghosting?). In addition, just yesterday I also found out that the Mits TVs have some kind of "red push button" problem. I would definitely prefer to have such an expensive piece of equipment ready-to-go right out of the box (with minimal adjustments).
So I guess that I am back to square one. I had initially not even looked at the Mits and the Pioneers because I had thought that they would be over my budget (budget~$2700 w/shipping or $3000 w/ship and extended warranty). But I seemed to have been wrong as they are available in this price range.
The following are the TVs that I am looking at:
Toshiba 57H81
Toshiba 57HX81
Pioneer 533-HD5
Hitachi 53UWX10 (Ultravision)
Mitsubishi 55809
Mitsubishi 55859
I have a PS DVD (Toshiba SD-3750), Yamaha HTR-5460 receiver and Polk R40 speakers. Since I will be mostly using my receiver, I am not too particular about the sound. I am more interested in the video quality, reliability and fliexibility (# of ins/outs) on the TV.
We will not be buying an STB at least for the next year so we would prefer a TV which can broadcast regular cable and/or dish reasonably well (I understand that we will have to compromise somewhat due to the resolution difference between the broadcast and the TV).
Also, like this post isn't long enough:), if anyone has pricing info on these (including shipping), I would really appreciate it. I haven't checked the others but I think I can get the Pioneer for about $3590 shipped, the TOhiba HX for about $2540 shipped and the Hitachi (at CC) for $2629 shipped.
Once again, sorry for this long post, but I have way too many questions and I definetely need some expert advice. I would greatly appreciate any help that you guys can give me.
Thanks.

David Judah

Screenwriter
All the sets you are looking at are good performers. Each has strengths and weaknesses. It just depends which weaknesses you are willing to work around.

One note on the Mits 55859: You can easily correct the red push in the service menu, unlike the 55809.

DJ

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
14' from a 57" RPTV is fine.

As far as 'ready to go right out of the box' - I dont think there is such a thing. Then again, tweaking is half the fun.

Im curious. You mentioned all of the major brand except Sony. You can get a great deal on the 57" because of a recent price drop.

I had the Hitachi 53uwx10ba and it had a great picture with decent stretch modes.

All of the prices that you quoted are a bit high. Shop around.

Neeraj

Grip
Yeah, you are right in thinking that my feelings about the Sony brand in general is that its overpriced. I will definietly consider it now. But how does the 57HW40 (I think this is the model) compare to the rest of these TVs on on all the picture, reliability, fexibility and features (one thing I forgot to mention in my first post).

Also, you mentioned the the prices that I am looking at are high, are there any sites that you know that I can browse through.

Thanks for all the responses so far. Please keep them coming.

GarryW

Stunt Coordinator
After a 9 month search, here is what I got:
http://www.sharp-usa.com/products/Mo...58,637,00.html
And this is where and how much I paid:
Link Removed
Excellent picture right out of the box. Every tweak imagainable without opening up the set, which I prefer not to do.
Excellent stretch modes comparable to Pioneer. This set is HD ready with a RGB connections and TWO component inputs.
I love this set!
:)

DanielC

Grip
Take a look at the Sony as well. I purchased the 57hw40 just last week. After price match and negotiation I got it delivered for $2640(tax included) from Rex. Went in with the intent on purchasing the Toshiba 57hx81, but they couldnt get that set. Absolutely stunning picture (after some minor tweaking) and its not even broken in or Avia calibrated yet.

Neeraj

Grip
Thanks guys.

GarryW, upon doing about 15 minutes of research on Sharp HDTVs, it does look like a great set, except I did see a lot of mention of the vertical line problem (it might only be on the 4H series). Are you getting that problem on the 5H too?

Again, please keep the responses coming. THanks.

GarryW

Stunt Coordinator
Neeraj:
I just got the set on Monday afternoon of this week, and so far so good. Maybe Sharp figured it out(I hope)and I won't have to contend with it.
I was all set on a 55" Mits, but their stretch modes suck for regular TV viewing. You'll find out that the majority of the HD ready sets ALL do HD signals very well. Kind of like direct view sets displaying a satellite signal, they all look pretty good.
The Sharp has the following stretch modes:
Smart Stretch - Leaves the center portion of the image alone, then stretchs the tops & sides
Cinema Mode - for viewing 2:35:1 DVD's
Stretch mode - for sports
Side Bar - 4:3 mode with gray bars
I knew the wife was going to give me a lot of grief about the set not delivering a good picture for regular tv viewing, and the Sharp does this very well, for about $1K less than the non-elite Pioneer.
Going back to the v. line problem, it seems that almost all of the sets your looking at have some type of quirky irritating problem, whether it be red push, green push, raster ringing, ghosting etc. I'm no videophile, but for my mid-fi setup, this completes my system very nicely!
Happy shopping!;)

Ozzie

Agent
Neeraj:

I too have just started to build my HT.

Just yesterday I went to a local retailer (Brandsmart) here in Miami. I had my heart set on the Sharp 55RWP4H being that it is on super sale for only $1089. Upon arriving to the store, I passed up some Mitsu's and thought, WOW, what a great picture. Anyhow, I proceeded on to what I came to buy.

My opinion (I am new at this so this is soely based on side by side comparison):

Sharp:

Okay picture

I was completely turned off by the protective screen on the TV...the light was reflecting off of the thing like a mirror! I saw myself more than I did the picture quality. I was still turned on by the price until I walked back over to the Mitsu section.

Mitsu:

The WS 55809 WOWED me! It too has a protective screen but unlike the SHARP, it is removable should it become an issue. The picture quality was outstanding, even when comparing it with the higher priced Sony's and Hitachi's.

My mind was made up...The Mitsu it is and that is what I bought.

I can sit here and go on for days in comparing the two or even all the sets they had there but I am sure you all know the "bells and whistles" of each. IMO I made a great purchase...again, based on picture quality alone.

Another great feature that comes accompanied by Mitsu is "The Promise"...look it up!

I cannot wait to start playing with my new toy...this year's football season is going to be better than ever on this puppy!

One last note, I ended up buying the floor sample that was in EXCELLENT condition. The TV, along with a 5 year warranty, including taxes, only set me back $1586. Check out brandsmart.com (you have to go to the "current ads" section to check out their inventory) they do have the best prices around!

Hope this helps!

GarryW

Stunt Coordinator
I was completely turned off by the protective screen on the TV...the light was reflecting off of the thing like a mirror! I saw myself more than I did the picture quality
They're all like that, whether it's Sony, Tosh, etc. The Sharp screeen does come off, just do a search at www.hometheaterspot.com. under Sharp/Sanyo threads.
Also, afer having this set for a few months, I see no vertical line, maybe 'cause it's the 5H set which you can only get thru a Sharpvision dealer. Being that HD signals on most Chiacgo stations are simulcast in HD now, the stretch mode thing is becoming less important on ALL of these sets.
Whatever set you get, you gotta get a HD STB, because that's where ALL this sets really shine! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks