Comparison of current rear projection CTR technology sought

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Dylan, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Dylan

Dylan Extra

Feel free to refer me to a previous thread dealing with this or a similar question. The main question/information sought is how do the different "trademarked"/ "exclusive" technologies from the big manufacturers such as Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Sony, Pioneer, ect., compare to one another as far as quality/positive enhancement of picture produced from a standard DVD source? Does one company's technology make greater strides at actually fulfilling their embelished descriptions? This question is assuming all other componets of the test system one theoretically could use to compare and test these different technologies are filtered out of the results.

Here's an example from Hitachi's web site: "Highly refined Super Contrast II CRT's produce a brighter, more accurate high definition image".

Here's one from Toshiba: "Dynamic Quadruple Focus : Dynamic Quadruple Focus utilizes both horizontal and vertical beam adjustment to ensure that even the edges and corners also have a precise beam spot for a sharp, uniform picture from corner to corner".

This is a tricky question to answer and part of the answer is inevitably subjectively based upon who's doing the visual comparison. I guess I'm looking for a scientific (or as close as one can get being outside the R & D of these comapnies) validation of the new technologies developed by the different companies. I want to know if "Company X" is on to something or if they are just using fancy terms to describe a minor upgrade?

2. John S

John S Producer

Each and every little marketing type catch phrase, they use, when equated to actual technology, seem more about trade offs, than anything being the ultimate best.

Choose a display based more on your picture quality opinion of it, than anything else.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

CRT's haven't really been developing "new" technology for a long time now, so the marketing flair that you'll see on consumer sets is probably the addition of some additional features that pro-grade CRT projection has been using for years. It's annoying to me, because the marketing statements make it sound all cool and nifty, but then it's difficult to know exactly what feature they're talking about.

If you can, it's best to get the "techy" information on sets to understand what exactly is involved. I don't agree with John that the marketing phrases are always tradeoffs. There are a number of high-end features to get the best out of CRT projection that often aren't there on consumer RPTVs, so many times there CAN be something better about one set than another. The problem is diving deep enough into learning about sets to know what that is. I don't follow RPTVs that much, mainly because of the fact that most of the info given out is marketing bs, and it's hard to get at the real info about the set.

4. John S

John S Producer

Hey Chris,

Is there any sort of link to a faq, that would explain some of the real great features used in Pro CRT FP????

I'd sure like to know more. So far, when I further investigate some of the marketing catch phrase stuff, so much of it ends up being more or less, "Just the way it's done" sort of things.

I wish I knew more really.

5. Dylan

Dylan Extra

I agree, but the problem I am facing is trying to figure out which company (of the ones that sell 4:3 HD-ready big screens still) has the better technology as far as HD upscaling and overall picture quality enhancements. Is there at least a certain HD upscaling technology that is superior over the rest that i should look for?

6. John S

John S Producer

Good questions Dylan......

I sort of gave up, and just bought the one I liked the PQ of best overall for all the sources I use giving the ones I use the most, the most weight.

I was going crazy for months back and forth from make/model to different make/model. My significant other and my friends were sure glad once I made by choice. I was quite consumed with it all.

I went with a 60" 4:3 set, with a native wide screen mode on it in the end. To many Laserdiscs, to many old movies, and to much TV on DVD still going on in my life. No real regrets here, I think I got the biggest / best for me, and ended up paying hardly nuffin for it.

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

John: Well there's issues of electronics of course, but in terms of the actual tubes and such, there are things like liquid coupling (improves ANSI CR), color filtering (to achieve SMPTE C accurate color primaries (red is usually more orangish than a deep red, to increase light output but this sacrifices a little bit of color accuracy), EM or ES focus, what poles the astig magnets have, 2, 4, and 6 pole is the best there, whether the lenses have scheimpflug adjustments (AKA lens flapping), etcetera.

This CRT FAQ has some explanations as to EM/ES focus, and deals with some of these other issues in scattered parts. You may find it an interesting read anyway:

http://www.curtpalme.com/6901.html

8. John S

John S Producer

I guess, the real trick is to figure out, if any of the catch phrases used in the various current CRT RPTV's match any of the good stuff going on in CRT FP.....

Thanks for the link...