Your Opinion is Greatly Appreciated on my HD RPTV Short List

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Brian Mansure, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

There are some pretty decent deals out there right now and my wife is not voting against us purchasing a HD RPTV for the time being so I would like to take advantage and pick one up by this weekend before she has a chance to re-evaluate our "fun" spending. [​IMG]
    Anyhow, I've been doing some research on sets in our budget range and this is the not so short-short list in no particular order:

* Sony KP-46WT510 ($1343.18) or KP-51WS510 ($1619.10)

* Toshiba 46H83 ($1349.10) or 57H83 ($1663.73)

* Mitsubishi WS-48313 ($1499.99)

* Hitachi 46F500 ($1394.99) including rebate for stand

* Pioneer SD-533HD5 ($1784.00)

All these prices are for a local Sears except for the Pioneer which is available through Walmart.com

The Sonys seem to be drumming up great reviews from CNET to consumers for overall performance and value but I'm not a huge fan of the cabinet looks

The Toshibas are nice but I have concerns over the auto-convergance and reliability

The Mitsubishi is the low-line but I generally hear such great things about Mits RPTVs I though I should consider it especially at $1499 thru Sears

I really like the Hitachi's looks and since Hitachi manufactures most other RPTV parts I thought buying from the source might be that much better

I know the Pioneer is a closeout but what a closeout it is... this set retailed at 3599.99 originally and was still selling for over 2500.00 a year ago. I have a soft spot for the Pioneer but it doesn't have DVI, would need to be shipped through WalMart and is more expensive than all the rest.

As a family we watch approx. 50% cable (standard), 40% movies and 10% video games.

My biggest concern with purchasing one of these is how it will handle regular analog signal. We will not be spending the extra money on an HDTV receiver for quite some time and most of these sets should have comparable features and PQ when it comes to DVD and HDTV material IMO.

Obviously some sets will do some things better than others but which choice would you make and why?

Thanks I know that was fairly long to get through and I do appreciate your opinions.

Brian

2. Bernie_A

Bernie_A Stunt Coordinator

I did a lot of research and viewing and I ended up with the Hitachi 51S500 and have absolutely no buyers remorse at all. We love watching movies on this TV. If you can swing $1800-$1900 I highly recommend it.

3. Brian Mansure

Thanks Bernie, I appreciate your response.

I definitly like the looks of the Hitachi sets and the PQ is on par or above most of the other TVs I'm looking at, so it's a major contender.

Anyone else want to share their opinions, likes, dis-likes on this topic?

Please feel free to add your $.02 as I will read it all.

Thanks again,
    Brian

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The Hitachi came up big on 2 different HDTV 'shootout' articles. It never made the top of either list but it was a solid unit. (The "F" series is the UltraVision units - right?).

5. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

Yes, to my eyes Hitachi and Sony have the best picture quality after ISF calibration.

6. Eric Hahn

Eric Hahn Agent

I have a mits 48413, and I'll tell you this, go as big as you can, they shrink after a few weeks, and I now wish I'd have gone bigger,

I never really looked at the hitachi, but I think it is right in line with the mits, probably better pq out of the box, but I think all rptv's benifit from some tweeking.

If you can check out the model's you are looking at, the stretch modes are different, it may make or break a deal for you, as you watch alot of sd, I watch everything in stretch plus on my mits, the pq is better than a last years mits I had before. but I still do not like the sd on it.

just my .02

7. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Brian,
    I have the Sony KP-57WS510 and absolutely love it. Following the reccomendations of this forum, I purchased Digital Video Essentials at my local Borders Book store and ran it.
    I could not be happier.

Good Luck!

Al. Wise

8. Eric Pfoutz

Eric Pfoutz Auditioning

I say stay away from Hitachi and Toshiba. Neither sets do 480p nativly. They show many artifats from their cheap scalers. Every signal sent them except for 1080i goes through the scaler. I have calibrated many sets and though calibration improves them nothing can improve the scaler unless you buy an outboard one. If you call Hitachi they often tell you their sets perform better with your DVD player set to 480i.

my 2 cents

9. Brian Mansure

Thanks for all the added replies.

I apologize for not getting back to the post sooner.

Well, I have some more deliberating to do but as always responses from the HTF have helped alot.

Thank again,
    Brian

10. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

How does one go about getting prices like those at Sears? I have been looking at the Hitachi 46F500 and the Toshiba 46H83 as well and haven't seen prices like that in the local stores. Do I need to bring in some sort of ad or print out from an online retailer and have them price match?

Just out of curiousity, what kind of rebate was that? I am leaning toward that model.