What's new

Toshiba 50HX70 squeeze trick. (1 Viewer)

I was in a Toshiba dealer today, talking to a sales person about the Toshiba 50HX70 (4x3) as the price is now attractive ($800.00 cnd less than the Sony 53HS10).
But the lack of it being able to do the squeeze trick from a standard progressive scan DVD stops me from purchasing.
I hope the new 2002 models (57HX81 16x9) will do it with no problem.
The sales person then tells me that the Toshiba's have 2 1080i/480p inputs and if I feed any of the inputs with 480p from a progressive scan DVD it will do the squeeze trick.
I belive that the Toshiba's will only do vertical compression (squeeze trick) on 1080i source material.
I asked the sales person to show me with a progressive scan DVD, I was told that the way the demos are set up , it could not be done at this time, as the demo DVD was a none progressive scan. I was asked to phone Toshiba and they would confirm that it would work.
So guys (gals) what gives, If the Toshiba can do the squeeze trick with a standard DVD player, how is it done.
I am looking at the new Panasonic RP91 or RP61 as my DVD player.
Thanks Brian, Ottawa. Canada.
------------------

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
The sales person then tells me that the Toshiba's have 2 1080i/480p inputs and if I feed any of the inputs with 480p from a progressive scan DVD it will do the squeeze trick.
The salesman is wrong. The current Toshiba models (4:3) require a 1080i source to allow the Vertical Squeeze function to be used. Incidentally, a 540p signal would also work, as it uses the same timing as 1080i - but 480p from a standard progressive player will not allow you to engage this function.
____
Jeff
------------------
"You're a walking stick! It's funny! Now GO!"

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Jeff is correct on all counts.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Thanks guys for the conformation on the 50HX70, looks like I was mistaken on the 16x9 TV's
Brian, Ottawa.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks