What's new

Tosh DST-3000 forced to buy DirecTV?! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I was all excited yesterday, when I got what I thought was a great price on a Toshiba DST-3000 for my 65H80. Then, today, the dealer called me and told me I had to pay a $150 fee if I was not going to subscribe to DirecTV. I only intended to use the tuner for over-the-air HDTV transmissions. Can they do this?!

Jeff D

Supporting Actor
I believe the answer to this is yes. Unless you paid cash. If you paid cash there's little chance they can track you down.

Generally DTV gives dealers a kickback for each subscriber signed up. The dealer then usually will forward most/all of that to you, the user. It seems to be about $200.

When you bought the unit they should of told you this. If they did not then you don't have to subscribe. That is my understanding.

I've purchased several receivers from several different retailers who have never mentioned that. I'm a DTV subscriber so it made little difference if they told me.

I don't know what your rights are regarding not getting told up front.

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
I'm already a DirecTV subscriber. If I buy a HD receiver and activate as a second receiver on my account, does that meet the dealer's requirements?

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
The same thing just happened to me. I got the Sony SAT100 from CC open box for $445. I'll install it tonight to check out the OTA at home and then decide if I should keep it and then get DTV.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
This sucks! Maybe this is why they're not selling as many DTV's as they would like to. I guess I'll just keep watching only DVD's on my 65H80. I'm perfectly happy with my cable system.

Michael_Sit

Auditioning
Activating it as a 2nd receiver is ok too. That's what I did.

I might ultimately cancel it. The agreement sattes that if I cancel, I have to send the access card back. No big deal but I would send it certified mail so there's no disputes later on.

PaulKH

Second Unit
Jeff, get a Samsung SIR-T150 - since it doesn't have a DirecTV tuner in it, they can't charge extra ;)
I have one and love my OTA reception/picture. I'm near Atlanta like yourself also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks