What's new

Top weight for light sub? (1 Viewer)

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony SA-WM20 sub -- very cheap ($100), small and light (10kg). When I rest my hand on it, I feel lots of vibration. I don't see how that can be good -- energy spent vibrating the cabinet is not vibrating the air. So I'm thinking of wrapping some cement blocks in cloth and piling them on top of the sub (which rests on a vinyl covered cement floor).

However, this vibration of the cabinet is perhaps taken account of in the design of the sub, so I might be doing more harm than good. I saw some discussion of top weighting the SA-WM40 in the hardware archive, but it seemed rather inconclusive. Maybe I should use spikes instead, or in addition?

My experiments will profit from your experience in top-weighting subs, I'm sure.

Thanks,

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I don't know about top weighting although I have heard of lining the inside with lead to weigh the sub down in order to eliminate just the kind of problems you speak of.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The goal is to add mass to the walls, making them harder to vibrate. If you have blocks lying around then give it a try. It won't hurt anything (as long as the driver's motion is unrestricted).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks