What's new

Top of RPTV bowing? (1 Viewer)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
This September will make it two years that I've owned my Mits 65908. I just moved this past weekend and I hired insured movers to protect my precious .... Anyway, while inspecting my stuff after the move, I noticed that the top of my TV has bowed downward about half a centimeter. It's only noticeable near the front of the TV, where the top piece meets the 2-inch wide casing for the front screen. The screen part hasn't bowed at all, but the main top panel has. I have my center channel speaker up there, but it's really light (just a small Polk) and I had it pushed up to the front edge.

So is this bowing common? Is it from natural gravity causes ... or did my speaker placement accelerate the bowing?

Hugo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Daren, this is not common. And you could be right about your speaker being the cause of your bowing. Another cause could be that while being moved, the movers put something heavy on top of it, like another box of books or whatever. As long as your screen is not damaged, your TV will work perfectly.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Build a dummy shelf, the size of the top of your RPTV. Place a 1/2" piece of trim underneath the shelf around the two outer edges and back side. This way, the speakers weight will be transfered to the outer edges of the RPTV and will prevent bowing the screen. Do not place a piece of trim along the front edge of the shelf. Leaving the front open will allow the shelf to bow from the speakers weight but will not touch the top of the RPTV. Paint the shelf the color of the TV and your good to go.

I did this when I had my Mits RPTV and a Polk CS400.

The tops of those RPTV's cannot handle much weight at all and will bow. It was most likely the weight of your speaker and you just now noticed it.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks