"Bow-tie" effect on Mitsubishi RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David_K_09, Jun 19, 2006.

1. David_K_09

David_K_09 Auditioning

Our 4 year old Mitsubishi 55" RPTV has started having a bow tie or hourglass type distortion of the picture when the unit is first turned on. The center of the screen bows inward and the colors distort. It usually corrects itself after warming up, but sometimes it only "snaps" back in place if you tap the top of the cabinet.

Any ideas on what the cause of this may be?

2. Matt_A

Matt_A Stunt Coordinator

The convergence IC's are going kaput on it. You can either solder in new ones yourself or have an authorized service center fix it. Guess which one costs more. [​IMG]

If you do a search on google, you'll find lots of different threads on forums all over the place talking about it. Apparently, it's quite common. Mine just started doing the same thing about a month ago.

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi guys
    This isnt that big of a deal...but it is very well known issues on crt RPTVs, especially the Mits.
    A service center should be contacted. the repair can be done in your home...and figure 200-275 as the cost.
    regards
    Gregg

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Does replacing the convergence IC's mean a new calibration is required?

5. Matt_A

Matt_A Stunt Coordinator

The funny thing about my whole convergence problem is that I purchased a 5 year extended warranty on the TV. It is now 5 years and 1 month old. [​IMG] It just figures. The company that uses the contracts basically told me to go away. I'm upset, but what can you do?