What's new

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from the IMAX fan event, best time at a movie this year.

At 7PM they showed highlights from various premieres and then went straight into the movie even though they announced that they were showing the Mission Impossible trailer.

This movie managed to both have massive fan service and be better than the original.

All the aerial footage was in expanded IMAX ratio.

Both Anthony Edwards and Meg Ryan were in the movie via archive footage.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Saw the AMC IMAX presentation. From what I remember, the entire film was in the usual IMAX aspect ratio with everything filling the IMAX screen (no non-action scenes getting the letterbox treatment), but maybe I'm misremembering...

Anyhow, enjoyed the film, and seemed like the audience also enjoyed it.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Saw it in Dolby Cinema with my wife. We really enjoyed it. Yes, there were plot holes, you could fly a F18 through, but it had the perfect amount of well-done throw backs to fans of the original, and it gets a lot of its heart from those scenes. I think that if someone hasn't seen the original, they would still enjoy it, they probably wouldn't rate it as highly. We did get the Mission Impossible trailer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A well done film and the plot holes didn't bother me as I kind of expected that, especially about the aircraft capabilities. I was thoroughly entertained. Again, I think it's a better film than the first movie and I believe most people will enjoy this film.

YANG

Screenwriter
It definitely switched between 2.39 and 1.9 in my IMAX theater.
with the great response in boxoffice take in on first week of opening, those skeptical on the sequel will likely have interest grown in them and will go for theatrical experience in following weeks.
with such great earnings ahead, it wouldn't be too harsh to make a request for this to release this in different options like Avengers in different aspect ratio options when comes in UHDBD?
Cinematic 2.39:1 only or “IMAX Experience” pack?

YANG

Screenwriter
IMG_20220527_112055_3.jpg

a sequel with nostalgia,
a film that triggers some reminiscence... that make me pull out my laserdisc and slap it with a new declaration of love! 😁

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I saw Top Gun: Maverick last night in IMAX. I thought this was great!

A lot of movies are said to have "third act problems". Not this movie. Maverick has one of the best third acts in recent memory (especially amongst action movies).

I had to chuckle, though, at the obvious similarities to A New Hope. There was a trench run to fire a missile into a small thermal exhaust port right below the main port (okay, not really, but close). They even had Rooster "turn off" his targeting computer!

But I really liked it all.

We also got the return of the "super pumped to be there guy" in the opening sequence's deck crew.

This is an excellent sequel that I didn't know I wanted.

Edited to add my score: 9/10.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks