What's new

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I doubt they got Lady Gaga to do a Danger Zone-style kick-in-the-afterburner tune. More likely she will be dousing a Take My breath Away-type ballad.

I didn't mean to imply that she was literally replicating Danger Zone. But if it is being viewed by the filmmakers as the theme of the movie, that is equivalent to what Danger Zone became in the first film.
As Stephen said, I think it's more of the "love theme" similar to Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" from the original. The Gaga song is called "Hold My Hand". Though who's to say she can only do one song in the film.

I rewatched the original a year or two ago and was amazed how often that song is used in the film.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
As Stephen said, I think it's more of the "love theme" similar to Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" from the original. The Gaga song is called "Hold My Hand". Though who's to say she can only do one song in the film.

I rewatched the original a year or two ago and was amazed how often that song is used in the film.
Yeah, "Take My Breath Away" was a huge single in 1986, and arguably the song people remember most from the first film.

But since we are talking about themes, let's not forget the amazing "Top Gun Anthem" (Harold Faltermeyer/ Steve Stevens), which is also a stone cold classic:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Side note: my ex, she never lets me live down the fact that I thought, since i was a kid, that the lyrics were "I went to the danger zone...right into the danger zone..."

That's just the way I hear it now, and forever. :rolling-smiley:

Hey man, it made sense to 10 year old me. Mav went right into that danger zone.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Really, the following song should be on the new film's soundtrack. Very Danger Zone-ish vibe, but it's from 2019. The song and video both scream Top Gun:

Crazy Lixx: "Silent Thunder"

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Showtimes for opening weekend are currently listed at my theater's website, but greyed out so you can't buy anything yet. This is usually a sign that the studio is preparing to begin advance ticket sales soon. So my guess is that advance tickets will go on sale sometime next week.

The first listed showtime is 3:00pm on Thursday, May 26.

I like Top Gun a lot and I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel, but I think I can wait for a matinee on the actual weekend instead of rushing out on Thursday.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This movie is set to play at CINEMACON this week in Vegas. At least one critic is planning to see it there and give it a review.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
At least one critic is planning to see it there and give it a review.
Even if they are showing the film next week, Paramount will still be able to determine when the review embargo is allowed to lift. So we may not get reviews next week.

On the other hand, if they are going to show this a month early, they are obviously confident in what they have and want to get the buzz out early. So that is a good sign.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Surely they must be doing a screening for critics on an aircraft carrier somewhere.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tiny Tom Cruise approves. :thumbsup:

1651198914860.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Dunno. I love Gaga for the most part, but I'm not sure I really like this. Of course, I've only listened a couple of times. But it doesn't really seem to have the big "hook" that a great movie pop song needs.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I like it. But whether it becomes iconic or not, as several of the songs in the original did, is also going to depend on how it is used in the movie. We simply don't know that part yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks