What's new

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Maverick arrived yesterday and this weekend will be a Top Gun double feature!

Top Gun 4K Set.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The truth is I was a big fan of the original film when it came out in 1986. In the years since, I drifted away from it, and came to dislike not only the film's jingoistic tone but its star's immensely inflated ego. When the dawn of DVD started and I was replacing my VHS collection, I did not upgrade Top Gun. I was satisfied to let it be part of history. (There are very few films I didn't upgrade.)

But then I had kids, one of whom said to me after Maverick had left theaters that he wanted to see it, so I got him the two-film 4k set for a gift. And I was intrigued by the universal good reviews that the new film got, which was something I never expected.

Last month, my son deigned to sit down and watch the first Top Gun with me. I enjoyed it all over again, jingoism and egomania be damned. It's a well made film.

Today, we watched Maverick, which, I have to say, is a better film in just about every way - most notably in the writing and acting. It touched on nostalgia, but the film is more about dealing with a past that never leaves you, and letting go, as Iceman says. Count me impressed. My son was also very impressed, which he rarely is these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltby
Recent bookmarks