What's new

Top end speakers and receiver for plasma screen (1 Viewer)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Ok Anish (no offense but it sounds to me that you are very new to this hobby), at first you don't give a budget but made a generalized sweeping statement about cost is secondary, second you made it sound like you were willing to budget $5000 for a Denon 5803 plus $1-2k for speakers, so if these are the case then is your total budget for speakers and AVR (Audio Video Receiver) about $6-7000?

If the $6-7000 is the price of your future system then I would recommend (and agree with Jason_Me) that you budget more for speakers vs AVR for one simply reason: good speakers can be used to great potential with almost any future audio gear but AVRs necessarily won't (changes due to new audio formats processing {future AVRs will most likely process internally SACD and DVD-A formats, but none of the current ones do it except by buying proprietary matching components or buying an upgrade module if the item has it availible}, type of video switching {good example is the recent addition in the last two years for component switching but what will be the next, DVI?}, and future of possibly different type of component interfaces (maybe an add-on of fire-wire, USB, or RJ11) will most likely make the AVR a more "disposable" and outdated component than the speakers will ever be at this price level (remember the Denon 5700 was this way about 4+ years ago but now the people who owned it still don't have DPL2, DTS-Neo, DD-EX, and DTS-ES and if guy1 went that way then, guy1 will be upgrading to a $4000-5000 AVR for $2000 speakers vs the guy2 buying the new $2000 AVR to match his $5000 speaker and still having an inferior sound compared to guy2). You will save more money, have a higher performance level, and more "bang for the buck" system that will have an overall greater longevity (from replacing components from need vs wants) by going this route.

My other opinion is to get off the "mini-speaker" on "skinny stands" bias as the size of room you are placing it in, wanting an impacting system, and emphasis on great sound won't be obtained this way. The trade off in esthetics vs the physics of producing sound means the speakers that met these goals compromised too much to meet such expectations (you stated that your room size is 11' 10" by 28' 8" by guesstimate 8' ceiling meaning your room means you have to fill about 2700 cubic feet which is very close to the THX Ultra specs, your speakers are going to have to be decent size for such an area!) and most likely will not meet yours if quality of sound is an issue you won't compromise on. You have a very good chance to have a system that makes going to the movies more of a preview of what DVDs you will buy (because frankly it won't sound better) from a sound perspective if you can make size a lesser issue. Just the simple physics part small speakers are going to have to move more (or multiple drivers) in their action to displace air to produce sound at a level that will reach your listening area at an adequate level
preferably without distortion, and the items that will need to absorb the kinetic energy from such motions (ie cabinet, stands, etc) will need to be such that they can stay sonically inert (they sway and ring at times not including falling due to instability from small children, animals, and even cleaning) and small won't cut it.

I would recommend speakers from Canada since you will get the most for your money and for the most part they have great brands (I like the Paradigm Studioes, excellent for the price). I would recommand stands that can be lead shot/sand filled as well that weigh about 40+ pounds without the speaker on it for sonic benefits (room treatments and speaker positions are very important). I would recommend at least a Paradigm PW2200 (very good sub for the price) or two for such a room though this might take you somewhat higher than your budget requirement. I wouldn't recommend a flagship AVR (like the Denon 5803) but a model down or two so more budget goes toward the speakers (and should still be more than adequate). Something else I will add is to get a calibration disc (Video Essentials, AVIA, or Ultimate Platinum) and a spl (sound pressure level) meter to get the most you can from the system as most people who think they can calibrate by ear are usually surprised by how far off they really are.

Anish

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the detailed response Robert. It certainly did give me some things to think about. Yes I am very new to all this which is why I was so vague at the start. But after research and a lot of help from you guys I have learned a lot, to be able to narrow my search down.
Firstly, for the room size, I actually went and got another apartment. The dimensions here are slightly smaller... 16x18 and with 8' ceilings I would have about 2300 sq.ft. to fill.
I decided on the Denon 5803 and the Anthony Gallo Due' speakers for my front and rear center channels (can I make this kind of setup with the 5803?) Then I'll go with the Anthony Gallo micros for the rear left and rear right... and maybe 2 more Micros for the front left and right... or put the 2 Micros I will have in the front left and right and get something else for the rear left and right.
For the sub I think I will stick with the Anthony Gallo powered sub. What I have acquired so far is the Anthony Gallo Micro (2) and Due' (2).
This whole setup isn't too powerful, but then again something like the M&K THX Ultra could get me kicked out of the apartment... who knows... :) But that will definetly be in my future consideration.

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
Anish,
You have a lot of research to do, believe me!!! I just got back from BayBloor Radio and Audio Excellence on Yorkville. Both are fun stores BayBloor Radio problably has something in your price range. I looked at Denon and Marantz receivers paired with both Energy Encore and Totem Dreamcatcher HT systems. BayBloor Radio caries a lot of different lines, it was my first time there and I was impressed. Now for Audio Excellence....hmmm lets say I was out of place with my t-shirt and shorts, toting my 2 year old. Wear a RL Polo shirt and khaki's and speak with the queen's english and you'll be all set. To its credit (maybe) AudioExcellence does carry VERY high end stuff. I was looking at a pair of speakers with a sticker price of $36,000! They also carry tube amps (which is why I was there). They carry a lot of separates as oppose to receivers. One that I recognized was Anthem, which is a company that makes awesome pre-amps. Pair one of those puppies up with a MacIntosh amp and you'll be looking at oh..whatta ya think $15-20k?? It is fun to look and to listen to the pitches even if they are snooty.
I would say it would be easy to put an awesome system together with $50,000, the trick is to put a great system (to you) together for a fraction of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks