What's new

Thank you HTF and those that have responded with good info. (1 Viewer)

289FIACobra

Agent
Real Name
Herman Hong
This weekend I finally corralled my wife and went to Fry's Electronics so she can listen to the various speakers I was going to choose, and other items to make up a HT system. Oh, btw, the left channel of my Bose was not working. I just happen to notice something during a movie where there was suppose to be a left and right speaking scene and the left was kinda more toward the 'center'. Sure enough all that was coming out of the left was a soft white noise. Back to Fry's, we spent a good 40-45 minutes listening to the Klipsch RC-42,62,82, Martin Logans, Polk Audios and Infinity's. Since all systems in the room were using a NR-1050; I set the treble and bass to 0-db and used the same demo DVD with a mix of vocals, guitar, and mixed instruments, for all 4 receivers. She narrowed her likes to the Martin Logans and Klipsch. The mylar towers were $1100 each; the smaller towers just didn't cut it for her. The looks of the smaller towers also didn't match the living room theme as they were glossy black. The Klipsch match perfectly with the entertainment stand (an Ethan Allen furniture piece with no hutch) as it's a stressed black, so some of the brown comes through; the Klipsch black is a woodgrain veneer but not stressed but it was closer in looks. Most of the 30 minutes was listening between the ML mylar towers, RC-62II and RC-82II. The RC-52II I had listened to before were gone and the RC-42II in both our opinion was just too small. In the end, she really liked the RC-62II. Then I showed her the various AVR's but Fry's did not have the NR-809 but that's to be expected since that model is 2 years old. The NR-717 was available and I probably would have been fine with that, however, when me and the Mrs. were in the speaker room, she asked about the NR-1050 and I told her those were probably over $1,000 and with the RC-62II being $499 ea. we'd be over my $2,000 and still needed a sub and center... this is when she surprised the hell out of me... "if we're going to get a good HT system, why are we limiting this to just $2,000... I was thinking $5,000... " DAMN, I LOVE MY WIFE. I'll cut through the chase; this thread is long enough... I ended up with: 2 x Klipsch RF-82II 1 x Klipsch RC-52II 1 x SW-110 1 x Onkyo TX-NR818 100 ft. speaker cable, 14ga., 24 banana plugs and for the Onkyo, we decided on Fry's 4 year warranty; this is a $180 option, however, I don't have to send the NR818 back to an Onkyo repair center; I just drive it down to Fry's; they'll do the leg work on the first fix, and if something else crops up, they'll just give me a new one. My wife fully supported that idea. I spent the entire afternoon uninstalling the Bose and slowly just began the process of unboxing and installing everything. The only big hiccup was the HDMI-Out/Main... we were getting audio from the Cable (Comcast), BD-DVD player, but no video. After an hour of going through the setup and swapping known-good HDMI cables, I decided on a whim to use the HDMI-Out/SUB and bam, I got video. I later found out your can assign "monitor" output to one or both and apparently it was set to the 'sub' HDMI. So far, I've got about 5-6 hours on the AVR. This entire setup rocks... LITERALLY, the room was shaking on the opening sequence of Avengers when Loki enters S.H.I.E.L.D. though the portal. But then again, NOTHING was calibrated and I forgot to get the USB wireless (I don't have a long enough LAN cable to reach.) We can finally hear people very clearly now, thanks to the center speakers, but this thing is a bit tall ( 6") and if we put it on the same plane as the Plasma, it would block 2"-3" of the bottom of the screen. For now, we put it on top of the Bose's sub-woofer and it brings it just above our coffee table. :D I'm in the process of designing a solid shelf behind the plasma so it will sit just above the top of the Plasma. Off to Fry's again for the USB wireless transceiver and will begin the long task of updating firmware and such. I do want to thank everyone again. Had I known my wife would be so generous, I would have expanded my research a lot further. The timing was good as the RF-82II were normally $599 but they happened to be on sale for 20% off so we saved $240 on the speakers so that savings went right into the Onkyo TX-NR818, over the NR717, to gain the Audyssy MultiEq capability as schan had mentioned on another thread. I did take a couple of pictures so I'll post them when I get a chance. *EDIT* some pics added
c5dd16c9_HT_001.jpeg
a2c91396_HT_002.jpeg
3025e2fa_HT_003.jpeg

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Congrats on a fine setup! Please come back in a couple of months and give us your honest impressions of the Klipsch speakers. They seem to be a love'm or hate'm thing, mostly with music. I find a brighter speaker wonderfull for movies but not so much for music. I'd love to hear your opinion. Also, the 818 was a great choice. Not silly-expensive but still has everything you should need. The next 15 years starts today. First thing to do is up-grade the subwoofer. It's not up to par with the rest of your system. 28 hz just isn't deep enough. Also think about a good universal remote like a Harmony. And don't forget about surge protectors/un-interuptable power supplies to help protect your new equipment. BTW, does your wife have a sista! :D .

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Congratulations! Looks like you have a great system and had a good time getting there. I don't want to take anything away, but I wouldn't wait on the sub, I'd return it now. With a greater than 12x25 room, you want at least a 12" driver. I reco Hsu or SVS.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm going to guess that sub was a throw in with the main three Klipsch(Amazon runs roughly the same package). I'm not sold on needing another remote*. The remote the 818 comes with is enough to run everything you connect to it. It is if you start running zones that it won't be enough...but the NR series Onkyo have enough app support from Apple/Droid...your zone control is probably going to be covered by your phones/ipad/ipod. *Read the manual carefully on the use arrangement of the "remote mode" buttons. The "activities" buttons are macros. And not sure if everybody else has caught up with this, but since Onkyo went "On Screen Remote Set-Up"...the Remote Mode/Input Selector area does not have to follow what the buttons say... On my 707, currently... DVD/BD is Panasonic BD35(has total control of the BD35...including set-up) VCR/DVR is Pioneer DV420V(won't do set-up, but does everything else, including bookmark) Cable/Sat is Directv(the only thing missing are letters on the numbers for VOD and an actual record button...does everything else) Game is Laptop(my Acer has HDMI control and I have some file functionality from the Onkyo remote) TV-Tape is Oppo 970(does everything) Aux is a Wii(obviously the Onkyo remote does nothing for the Wii) CD is a CD390(won't turn the CD player off...odd) And on my remote(the NR818 has more actual inputs...2 more I think) CD and Port can both be set-up for video. So if you use the 5 HDMI and two component/composite/s-video...you can add video to make a total of 7 video inputs. The only ones that can't be changed are Tuner, Phono and Aux(which has its own front HDMI anyway)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Al.Anderson said:
Congratulations! Looks like you have a great system and had a good time getting there. I don't want to take anything away, but I wouldn't wait on the sub, I'd return it now. With a greater than 12x25 room, you want at least a 12" driver. I reco Hsu or SVS.
That' why I said the next 15 years starts today. Return it to Fry's or put it on ebay/craigslist if it was a throw-in. As for the remote, activity based remotes are just easier to use for those with families. I know some brands are adding this feature to their own remotes but I'm not sure about Onkyo and I'm too busy (lazy0 to look it up :blush: . I don't use them myself but again, those with families swear by them. And I didn't notice anything about surround speakers. Maybe I missed it. If not, are they in your future or are you satisfied with a 3.1 system?

289FIACobra

Agent
Real Name
Herman Hong
Thanks everyone. First: Gene, I did get a Monster Cable 'Clean Power - Stage 2' power brick. It was pricey but then again, the great thing about Fry's is they will match internet pricing so the sales guy, was really eager to do that on EVERY item I bought, right down to the spool of cable and the Monster Clean Power brick was a good $20 less than online; in the end, I saved an average of at least 20% on everything all totaled up (again, just using Amazon as a reference.) I'm going to go back tonight to tally up what this all would have cost me v.s. online. Second: I did say the room wasn't all that large; I just remeasured it and it's 17.5' wide x 13 ft. deep 8'ft. ceiling. The 10" seemed logical and it is a hardwood floor so let's just say, the feet rumble when this thing is pumping. We connect my wife's Ipod mini to this thing and she was impressed that we could hear and "feel" the audio from 25' ft. away in the other room. My daughter now complains her wall vibrates. :D It's a huge learning curve now in terms of setting up the Onkyo's audio and video configurations. It'll be a fun journey.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
289FIACobra said:
Thanks everyone. First: Gene, I did get a Monster Cable 'Clean Power - Stage 2' power brick. It was pricey but then again, the great thing about Fry's is they will match internet pricing so the sales guy, was really eager to do that on EVERY item I bought, right down to the spool of cable and the Monster Clean Power brick was a good $20 less than online; in the end, I saved an average of at least 20% on everything all totaled up (again, just using Amazon as a reference.) I'm going to go back tonight to tally up what this all would have cost me v.s. online. Second: I did say the room wasn't all that large; I just remeasured it and it's 17.5' wide x 13 ft. deep 8'ft. ceiling. The 10" seemed logical and it is a hardwood floor so let's just say, the feet rumble when this thing is pumping. We connect my wife's Ipod mini to this thing and she was impressed that we could hear and "feel" the audio from 25' ft. away in the other room. My daughter now complains her wall vibrates. :D It's a huge learning curve now in terms of setting up the Onkyo's audio and video configurations. It'll be a fun journey.
Glad you got some protection for your equipment. My "everyday" room is 10' wide and 13' deep and I still use a 5.1 system. Get an HSU or SVS and you will feel the audio on the way back from the store! What can I say. We really like our bass around here! A sub that can go down to 20 0r 22/23 hz would really make a noticable difference. But if you feel the Klipsch 110 is enough for you then rair enough. Have you run the Audyssey XT 32 yet? I'd like to get your impression of that as well.

289FIACobra

Agent
Real Name
Herman Hong
I'm trying to upgrade the firmware so I downloaded what I "thought" was the latest driver but like some computer hardware companies I know (they will remain nameless), it was last years upgrade. Cmon Onkyo, update your freaking website. I just found one from 2/28/2013 so I'm going to do that first.

289FIACobra

Agent
Real Name
Herman Hong
Took me a while to figure out that the initial firmware version was old, but to get to the most recent version, I had to first go to an intermediate level that seemed I could only do via network. So off to Fry's again to get the USB wireless transceiver. Once I got that home, and configured it, it took a fair amount of time to first download all modules, and then update the firmware (5 files). Once done, I was finally able to use my USB key to download the latest update and load it onto the NR818 and man, that was so quick. With all that out of the way, I went through the "Initial Setup" and watched the Audyssy MultiEQ do it's thing. So far, the only thing that confuses me is the HDMI Main and the inability to view the OSD Setup; as it stands, "HDMI Main" goes into the very first (top) HDMI /ARC port on my Panasonic 55" Viera. I have to change Input on the Panasonic to the BD-DVD port and I proceed to go through the setup. I thought the setup should show up on the primary HDMI. Isn't it suppose to show on the HDMI/ARC port? Is there some configuration on the NR818 that I'm missing here? TIA

289FIACobra

Agent
Real Name
Herman Hong
heh, I'm a bit smitten now. We had told Fry's to get us the Klipsch RF-62II's but they gave us the RF-82II's instead but the did maintain a 20% off . For whatever reason on Saturday, I just didn't look at the box that closely to note the "82" and just went to town building the system. So anyhow, I do like them and will keep them. I look at it as getting RF-82's at a RF-62 price. :D Oh, and I did figure out my problem with the Setup OSD not showing up. It is showing up as it should. I had another mental error looking at the Viera and mistakenly thinking "Input 1" was HDMI-1, Input 2 was HDMI-2, etc., when in fact it Input 1 is the plasma's COAX connection!!! I'm such an idiot. Input 2 is HDMI-1, thus everything is working as expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks