Top end speakers and receiver for plasma screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anish, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I was in the plasma screen forum and found the folks there EXTREMELY helpful in helping me decide on a plasma screen TV. I went ahead with the 50" Panasonic plasma screen TV from this year.

Now I need to find a matching set of speakers and a receiver to complete the minimum requirements of my home theater system. I have had a lot of brandnames thrown at me from local stores, but I never trust local stores because they will obviously push their own products. I'd much rather come to forums like this and ask the more knowledgeable and unbiased folk here.

I am a pretty clean slate. I've done a lot of reseach but I don't think I've even scratched the surface as to what brands would be a nice top end for speakers and receivers to complement my new plasma screen TV.

I would really appreciate some help from you guys here. Throw me some brandnames and pros/cons. What I am looking for is for an apartment, so I was thinking more along the lines of those long skinny speakers or the tall metal legs with the little cube speakers on the top. I hear that even those tiny speakers can pack a powerful punch compared to some of the large box speaker systems.

Thank you for your help in advance.

2. Steve K.H.

Steve K.H. Supporting Actor

I see this thread getting real long in a hurry...

Room dimensions?

Obviously you are looking for more HT impact than music impact?

Budget?

Do you absolutely want a receiver or have you considered separates?

With a plasma unit, you're probably looking for clean sound instead of straight power... no?

What is the neighbour impact with regards to sound? Too much sub may not work for you...

3. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Hi Steve,

4. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Hi Steve,

5. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Oops sorry about the double post... I thought I clicked on EDIT. Can a moderator please delete POST #3 of 5?

6. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

"That is why I am not wasting time in retail stores to listen to mostly uneducated biased opinions. That is why I am here to get the advice from the experts."

Ummm...you'll have to do a lot of separating the wheat from the chaff here too. I'm not so sure there are *that* many "experts" here. Some for sure, but also many, many enthusiasts that may know less than they think they do.

Your ears really need to be the final judge. You are asking for recommendations on choices that are very personal. Some like metal tweeters. I can't stand them. Receiver recommendations are likely to be blind suggestions to purchase what the poster has in his/her rack. Just the kind of thing you are trying to avoid by visiting those "uneducated biased opinions".

What makes you think that about a specialty retail stores employees? Your statement may be true for Best Buy and Circuit (among others) but there are many excellent resources in the audio retail community. Good luck with your purchase and the buying process.

7. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

Since you are in Canada you have lots of good choices like Energy, Mirage,Paradigms and Axiom for speakers.
    Denon and Onkyo receivers are very common around here. For seperates a 5 channel amp from Sherbourn, Parasound or Outlaw should be considered with a Outlaw, Rotel or Anthem processor.
    The outlaw combo seems like a winner but I like the Denon 4802 and Parasound 2205 combo. Since speakers are more personsal I'll leave that to you.
    My system is by no means reference but as a sample you can start with a Denon 3802, Parasound 1205, Energy Veritas 2.4F, 2.0C 2.0R, Encore 2's and a EXls12 sub.
    Good luck[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hey isn't it Caribanna in TO today? Used to have some wild parties[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Agent

Anish - what plasma screen forum are you referring to at the beginning of this thread? Thanks.

9. Clint Roberts

Clint Roberts Auditioning

Apparently you have some money to spend. May I suggest...Denon (just about any model for any budget) for a receiver. Check out www.6ave.com for best prices (call them). Also, if you do not have much smarts in setup Pioneer Elite 47 or 49tx has this automatic setup thing that is supposedly real cool (and works). I just bought some Rockets www.rocketloudspeakers.com but they are a bit new and are known for their good sound and high value but are big. Not sure on the small speaker sound but just about everyone dislikes those cubes...Bose. I'm sorry but you cannot get REALLY great sound out of such small speakers. I say check out B&W 800 series (large, expensive but beautiful and oh so pretty next to a Plasma), Revel (expensive stuff too), Paradigm (good value especially in Canada), and then VMPS www.vmpsaudio.com (2002 speaker award for the big show). Have not heard any of these but B&W but this is the consensus. Separates only means processor is separate from the amplifiers. This is how the rich or true audiophile typically do it. I see nothing wrong with a large beautiful floorstander such as what B&W has sitting up there under a small plasma. People will come in see the plasma and wow at that and then see the speakers and wow at those. Especially after they hear it. I would of spent my money on a projector and screen but I suppose a plasma is cooler and can be easily moved. When i watch movies I want really big. My 57" widescreen i still have second thoughts when i could of for a few thousand more got a projector. Yet i already had a cabinet for my widescreen so a screen would not of worked. Also a budget is helpful. There are definitely some who can put together the best system for just about any dollar range. For example if you want to only spend $4k then I would go with Rockets and the Denon 4802. If you have $10k then B&W and maybe the Denon 5803 or separates. Have fun. Anything looks good next to a sleek plasma. Shouldn't be too hard if you have the money. Oh, don't forget the sub. Everyone recommends the VTF-3 ($850) unless you have a few thousand.

10. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

I suggest you get monitors all around, like 6 B&W N805's, and the matching Nautilus center channel. Then, you could get two SVS Ultra subs. Your neighbors wont like you very much [​IMG]
    For a receiver, get a Denon 5803.

11. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Bob I went out and got the Panasonic PT-50PD3-P 50" plasma screen TV.
    Jason Seems like the Denon 5803 is the top of the line of the top of the line... looks good to me so far... is there anything better even?? The B&W website is a little confusing. Isn't there a 5.1 set (or 6.1) that I can buy... or do I have to buy each speaker individually? I don't see any logical correspondence between the different model numbers. Also, what about their Prestige series? Is it better than their Nautilus series or is the Nautilus the one of choice?
    Cliff Thanks for all the recommendations. I am frantically searching on google for specs and comparisons. [​IMG] Seems like the B&W speakers are held in high regard and same with the Denon receiver.
    Has anyone heard of Harman/Kardon receivers? Are they any good?
    Also, I've read that there needs to be some special initial setup done with the plasma screens and/or receivers. Is it not as easy as plug and play? I am obviously going to do my research before they all arrive... but I didn't realize that it might not be as easy as plug and play.
    Lastly, speaking of separates, does this relate to the receiver? Is the receiver composed of a processor and amplifier... and if you are getting separates you are pretty much splitting the receiver into the separate processor and amp? If so, I don't think I need to go that hardcore, do I... I only have an apartment (living room dimensions are 11'10" x 28'8") There is a large window at one of the short ends of the rectanglular living room. The screen and receiver would be mounted on the opposite end, with speakers all around.

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'll second what Jason recommended... Good choices. Denon & B&W with twin SVS Ultra's.. outstanding. [​IMG]

13. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

My recommendation to you is to go out and listen to the products suggested or just ones you are interested in for yourself. People can and will recommend everything and anything under the sun. You have to get what sounds best to YOU, not someone else. You should look in your phonebook for some audio stores and go to at least 2-3 of them and see what you like. They will have instore setups for music and hometheater with many different speakers and electronics. Don't impulse buy. Think about what you are looking for and visit them for a couple weeks. In the end one will most likely come to the top of the list and you will have found what you are looking for.

14. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Allen, a lot of what these guys are recommending for high end units, are not available in local stores near me. I would have to make quite a trek for each individual distributor and some aren't even anywhere near me. That is why I was hoping that if I was able to specify what I'm looking for and what I have to work with, my tastes are probably pretty close to the majority of people out there who would buy a high end system. Afterall, if it is a high end system, it would sound good no matter what you put through it, correct?
    In addition to the highly recommended B&W, what about M&K? http://www.mksound.com
    Thanks for your help.

15. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

First of all, we "really" need to know the price. Here are some manufacturers to keep you busy with [​IMG]
    Yes, I know. I did miss some. Feel free to add to the list. [​IMG]
    Speakers
    B&W 800 series
    PSB
    Avalon Acoutstics
    Axiom
    Boston Acoustics
    Definitive Technology
    Dunlavy
    Dynaudio
    Egglestonworks
    Energy
    JBL
    JMLab
    KEF
    Klipsch
    Magnepan
    Martin Logan
    Meridian
    Mirage
    Mission
    M&K
    nOrh
    Paradigm
    Revel
    Snell
    Sonus Faber
    Talon
    Tannoy
    Thiel
    Totem acoustics
    Triangle
    Vandersteen
    Wharfedale
    A/V Recievers
    B&K
    Denon
    Harmon Kardon
    Marantz
    NAD
    Rotel
    Onkyo
    Yamaha
    Thats all for now.

16. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

17. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Holy smokes!!! How do I even begin to start narrowing down?

But I noticed that B&W made it to the top of the speaker list (everything else was alphabetic) and Denon seems to be the general consensus to be the best receiver.

This ain't easy but I guess I have some time to research. I find manufacturer websites not so helpful because they all make their products sound glamourous. To check the technical spec sheets can be misleading because something with a "better" number or rating might not sound as good as some other manufacturer's product... quality can't be measured on a spec sheet... you know what I mean?

Anyway right now I'm leaning towards Denon 5803 with B&W speakers. Someone recommended the Nautilus 800 series, but what about the prestige series... specifically the "Model Nautilus"... that seems to be the best of the best... haha... but I'm open to other opinions.

Thanks.

Anish

18. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

19. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

We REALLY need to know the cost range you are working in here. That is why you have more recommendations than you can handle. Speakers start at $25 per pair and go up to $200,000 per pair. Is $200,000 per pair within your range? Can you spend $500K on a 5.1 system? No. OK, cross the Wilson Audio Whamms off the list. That leaves everything else in the world. See my point?

Also it would be helpful to know if you want towers (big tall rectangles) or bookself sized (smaller boxes that go on stands or bookshelves). Your preference there may be more a matter of aesthetics than anything else.

Give a budgetary range, e.g. $10,000-$20,000 (or whatever it is) for the entire audio system and you will get fewer and more targeted results.

Good call on the Panny BTW.

20. Anish

Anish Stunt Coordinator

Wow you aren't kidding Eric. I had NO IDEA that speakers could ever get so expensive!!! I guess I have to make a budget now. I want good speakers because I did invest in a Panasonic 50" plasma screen TV. However I am not going to spend a 5-digit figure on it.

The way I want to do this is, get a set of speakers that are the top of the line of a particular manufactuer. The B&W Prestige series "Model Nauticus" speakers look so sweet. But I was also considering something tall and skinny since it will be for an apartment. I now know that you cannot get the same power out of small speakers, but is there any manufacturer that makes a happy medium... ie, speakers that are tall, skinny or cubes or smaller in size, that also pack a punch? Isn't there some sort of new technology (I remember some salesman trying to push B*se on me who said that they were the only ones to have patented magnetic technology in their litte split cubes)?

So I hope that helps paint a picture for a starting point. Oh yeah in addition to the Panny plasma screen, I am considering the Denon 5803 receiver.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. How about Dynaudio's little speakers? Is that a brand/model I can consider for what I'm looking for?