What's new
World Wide Stereo

Top DLP Projector Companies For $10,000-$20,000 (1 Viewer)

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
I got a question, if a projector can have a high definition picture, what makes the picture resolution so bad. Or let me put it this way, Yah got a $10,000 projector that can do a great picture on a 120" screen at 720p, and yah got a $1,000 (or under depending how cheap it has to be) that can do a 720p image but it looks terrible on a 120" screen. My question is why is that? throwing lighting aside of course.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I don't know of 1000 dollar projectors at that resolution.

There are issues of color fidelity, on/off contrast ratio, ANSI contrast ratio, etc etc.

With LCD projectors, usually higher resolutions can be cheaper than DLP, but the downside is lower pixel fill rate which leads to more visible and distracting SDE.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
alrighty.

But back to the top, if my tv has component outs or ins or whatever on the back does that mean i can get high definition if i get a high definition box from my cable company and all of that and/or hook my xbox up to it and get high definition. How do you get high definition out of a dvd player or is it already considered high definition?

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Questions questions and more questions.

http://www.christiedigital.com/produ.../25KImages.asp

how's that thing, what is that thing in the second to last picture and is there anything more to it then bracketing it to the ceiling, (special plugs with initials, things resembling a processor or external power source etc etc).

Can you get 1080p picture using component or do you need that DVI thing.

what is htpc?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Allen: component inputs at least, are required for high definition material, but it does not at all mean that your set is HD. DVD players need to use component for progressive scane, but it is not HD. Most DVD players do not scale up the resolution, DVD is not high definiton

It's probably part of the power supply, like the ballast or whatnot. I don't mean to be cold or anything, but are you actually interested in these kinds of setups? You seem woefully new to this, which is ok, but if you are serious about this kind of setup, there are people who can better provide information services and design than a forum. I'm happy to answer questions people have about their system, but I'm not going to explain the absolute basics (covered in the forum FAQ and primer) while dealing with the very advanced nature of the best display devices out there, especially if you're not at all serious about this equipment.

An HTPC is a home theater computer.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
yes i am chris. But im just trying to get a mindset goin for projector performance in they're price range.

Chris is there a way i can tell if my tv is HDTV compatible (other then me recalling it saying that on the bill when we got it.)

The only thing else i want to know is HTPC. I've seen people talking about how it does something...for something..like acts as a processor for a projector or something :frowning:

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
the whole HD issue is a complicated one, which is why I somewhat dodged the question. It has less to do with input resolutions, but the native resolution of the display in the case of fixed pixel displays, or with CRTs, more the "sweet spot" of the projector.

A computer is a DIY way to get superb video processing without needing to pay ridiculous sums of money for it. You can do all kinds of things with computers, but it's for the technically initiated usually.

I would recommend you seek out a knowledgeable high-end dealer to help you with a lot of these things, because that's what they are good at, in helping you design a system based on what you want, without you having to spend years learning everything possible about audio, video, acoustics, etc etc etc.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Bob i always try researching stuff before i ask on here. Nothing would make me happier then not asking these questions on here, so im either a google idiot or you just cant get info if you dont know what your specifically looking for.

If your refering to how i call everything thingies and somethings and majiggers.......just trying to hold on to my inner child for a little while longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks