What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I sampled the 3-D disc after watching the 4K/UHD disc in its entirety. Based on what I viewed today, the latter was a more satisfying visual experience for me.
Just watched the 4K and it was indeed spectacular. And I too watched some of the 3D and it was excellent. Better than that review alluded too imo. It's a constant dilemma for me to chose between 4K and 3D. Love them both.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I only am interested in watching movies at home as close as I can to the theatrical experience. If it is B&W I watch it in B&W. If it was in 3D in the theatre I will only watch it at home in 3D. I would play frisbee with the regular Blu ray or 4K disc in a set if it did not have a commentary or extras on it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I sampled the 3-D disc after watching the 4K/UHD disc in its entirety. Based on what I viewed today, the latter was a more satisfying visual experience for me.

By "latter" do you mean in order of viewing or in order of listing in your post?

I was tempted to pick up the 4K as it includes the 3D version and I'd like to support that kind of release strategy as much as possible, but I'm not sure this film is worth 35 bucks. It would be a blind buy for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By "latter" do you mean in order of viewing or in order of listing in your post?

I was tempted to pick up the 4K as it includes the 3D version and I'd like to support that kind of release strategy as much as possible, but I'm not sure this film is worth 35 bucks. It would be a blind buy for me.
I prefer watching the 4K/UHD presentation.

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
Just watched HOUSE OF WAX on my new Epson 6040 projector in my HT with (and not supplied) RF Active Shutter Glasses from Quantum and had severe ghosting and it was such a let down. Returning those back to Amazon today.

Watched the same movie in my den using 3DTV Corp DLP (Passive) Link Glasses and the movie was perfect.

Just bought the $100 glasses by Epson from Amazon. I so hope this works. I wanted to save money but I guess not...more money to buy more 3D!

I thought in post 3911 you said house of wax was great on your Epson ?, how long did you let it warm up before watching the 3D ?. i must check this out on my tw9300.

Last edited:

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I thought in post 3911 you said house of wax was great on your Epson ?, how long did you let it warm up before watching the 3D ?. i must check this out on my tw9300.

I initially put it on the Epson and watched a few minutes of it. After that is when the ghosting became very apparent. I turned the PJ on and put the disc in. Is there a time period you should wait before playing 3D?

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I initially put it on the Epson and watched a few minutes of it. After that is when the ghosting became very apparent. I turned the PJ on and put the disc in. Is there a time period you should wait before playing 3D?

That might be the problem, all my Sony projectors had awful ghosting from a cold start, I used to warm them up watching another source for at least 20 minutes before loading up a 3D disc. I just naturally do the same with the Epson now.

I would avoid the default picture setting of dynamic 3D to. I use -

Cinema 3D,
Low or medium lamp,
Manual Iris 0 ( fully open),
Glasses brightness Medium,
Superwhite On,
Gamma 0,
Contrast 50,
Brightness 51.

That's the basic settings anyhow. I hope you can get it a little better.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
That might be the problem, all my Sony projectors had awful ghosting from a cold start, I used to warm them up watching another source for at least 20 minutes before loading up a 3D disc. I just naturally do the same with the Epson now.

I would avoid the default picture setting of dynamic 3D to. I use -

Cinema 3D,
Low or medium lamp,
Manual Iris 0 ( fully open),
Glasses brightness Medium,
Superwhite On,
Gamma 0,
Contrast 50,
Brightness 51.

That's the basic settings anyhow. I hope you can get it a little better.

I use to notice some ghosting on my Panasonic AE8000 projector. Changed the setting from Dynamic to Normal, turned down the Brightness and/or Contrast and it's gone.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Looking forward to your comments on Moana, the trailers I have seen look amazing.

The studio never sent me a copy.

BestBuy is backordered for 4 weeks +

I won't go into a BestBuy store unless I absolutely must.

So, I ordered it from the Disney Movie Club for the same price and got 1/2 off on another EXCLUSIVE title. I chose "Escape from Witch Mountain."

So, I should have Moana within a week or so.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I thought the 3D was excellent on Passengers.
Same here!.

On another site an enthusiast wrote:
"Watched:
Passengers 4K & 3D ......................

One scene where the 4K UHD disc really shines occurs later in the movie when the ship flies near a red giant. HDR really made this scene impactful and it was a sight to behold. I wish the film had MANY more of these moments - I would have enjoyed it more. Other than that scene the 4K disc didn't really impressed me. The PQ and soundtrack were VERY good but did not stand out as an example of what 4K UDS w HDR has to offer."

And My response:
"Thanks for the heads-up about the red dwarf slingshot scene. Put the 4K disc in the Oppo and HDR-10 briefly appears on the LG E6Ps screen. Couldn't find "scene access" in 4K so I fast forwarded and found it close to the 1 hour (1:00:00) mid-way mark. Then I pressed the Oppo 203 remote's "skip to previous" scene button and viewed the entire scene.
popcorn.gif

Impresses exactly as you describe!
Then I put in the 3D Blu-ray to play the same scene via "scene access", (scene #9). The scenes in 3D really POP! Seemingly, with more depth after you look at in 2D UHD.
mindblowing.gif
Especially the Sun's coronal ejections!
Great 3D experience; except I wish I could see the skin textures that become visible in 4K resolution, and that won't happen until 8K capability."

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really wish there were 4K 3D discs.

They'd first have to begin mastering the films in 4K for theatrical 3D exhibition. At the moment, the DCP standards only allow for 3D titles to be presented in 2K, so that's the level filmmakers are finishing them at.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Same here!.

On another site an enthusiast wrote:
"Watched:
Passengers 4K & 3D ......................

One scene where the 4K UHD disc really shines occurs later in the movie when the ship flies near a red giant. HDR really made this scene impactful and it was a sight to behold. I wish the film had MANY more of these moments - I would have enjoyed it more. Other than that scene the 4K disc didn't really impressed me. The PQ and soundtrack were VERY good but did not stand out as an example of what 4K UDS w HDR has to offer."

And My response:
"Thanks for the heads-up about the red dwarf slingshot scene. Put the 4K disc in the Oppo and HDR-10 briefly appears on the LG E6Ps screen. Couldn't find "scene access" in 4K so I fast forwarded and found it close to the 1 hour (1:00:00) mid-way mark. Then I pressed the Oppo 203 remote's "skip to previous" scene button and viewed the entire scene.
popcorn.gif

Impresses exactly as you describe!
Then I put in the 3D Blu-ray to play the same scene via "scene access", (scene #9). The scenes in 3D really POP! Seemingly, with more depth after you look at in 2D UHD.
mindblowing.gif
Especially the Sun's coronal ejections!
Great 3D experience; except I wish I could see the skin textures that become visible in 4K resolution, and that won't happen until 8K capability."
Yeah, there are some scenes in which the 3-D is great, but to watch the film in its entirety, I prefer to watch the 4K/UHD disc.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
I really wish there were 4K 3D discs.
That could access HDR, wide color gamut and audio features but there would still only be two downgraded 1080P images which is the maximum resolution a 4K screen can resolve until 8K screens arrive that can fully resolve two 4K streams.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That could access HDR, wide color gamut and audio features but there would still only be two downgraded 1080P images that a 4K screen can maximize until 8K screens arrive that can fully resolve two 4K streams.

True, but as I mentioned earlier - there is virtually no 4K 3D content in existence. The theatrical DCP spec is limited to 2K for 3D titles. That means anytime you see a movie in theaters in 3D, it's in 2K.

The exception could be titles that were shot on film during the golden and silver ages of 3D. It is theoretically possible to scan the left and right eye films at 4K resolution. However, because the DCP standard doesn't allow for 4K 3D projection, there's almost no place that could show it, which means that in practice, studios aren't going to be making such masters.

Ang Lee ran into this problem with "Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk" - he wanted the movie to be exhibited in 3D at 4K resolution at 120fps, and only two theaters in the country were able to do so, and only after the installation of highly specialized projectors which would be impractical for the industry as a whole to upgrade to in the foreseeable future. The film was a massive flop, which to me makes it seem unlikely that it would drive further industry change or evolution. The new IMAX Laser system and the new Dolby Vision laser system are capable of projecting in these formats with modifications to the systems, but since these theaters comprise of such a tiny portion of the amount of 3D equipped theaters, it seems unlikely to me that studios would create custom 4K 3D masters solely for them, if the workflow for 3D had been 2K for everything else along the way. (Most Dolby Vision theaters choose to show 3D movies in 2D anyway. I believe the new remake of The Jungle Book is the only 3D title that Dolby Vision theaters actually presented in 3D.)

I'm not against 3D in 4K, but with virtually no content available in that format, and virtually no content likely to become available in that format for the foreseeable future, I don't see it as a high priority item at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks