What's new

To upgrade AV or not (1 Viewer)

dtiao7eb

Grip
Real Name
David
Hello all,
I currently have the yamaha rx-v867 that is connected to my Emotiva xpa-3 to my Klipsch rf7ii. I am currently using this setup as my home theater/2ch music set up. I mainly use my ps3 to watch blurays and my PC using HDMI out for music/itunes movies. In the future I hope to purchase a nice record player and start a record collect... however my current townhouse's space is limited.
My question is.... Is it worth upgrading to the yamaha aventage series? like their top of the line 3020.. or is there a better av receiver than yamaha. I know its best to audition systems, however where I live, there is no such option. Its a shame there was a "home theater" shop within walking distant, but they have moved to out of the area. Should I save my money and upgrade my amp to the xpa 1?
I feel as if the sound from itunes is off... however it maybe the fact that mp3 dont carry all the "data" the artist records.
Bottom line is I feel like something is off..
sorry if what i'm trying to type seems confusing. I am just trying to figure out how I can improve my sound quality overal.
Thanks!
David

dtiao7eb

Grip
Real Name
David
itunes bought songs, from the few i looked @ they say bit rate 256kbps samplerate 44.100khz

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If the 256k is not to your liking on home equipment...upgrading your amp, believe it or not, will only exacerbate the problem.
I can only listen to Itunes with either a bluetooth connection or an HDMI connection for so long on either an Integra DTR5.8 feeding DCM TF600(from the 80s) or via an Onkyo TX SR707 feeding BIC V830(from the 90s)...
It doesn't matter if it is off a PC(HDMI or bluetooth), Ipod(brand new one) or an Ipad 1 or 2(have both).
I mainly listen to Itunes in the car.
I have, however, been tempted to try one of the Wadia Ipod docks(they aren't cheap). Supposedly they are the only way to get the music off your Ipod without having to use Apples hideous DA converter.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Some modern receivers and pre/pros (e.g. some from Denon and Marantz) include features which are claimed to improve the listenability of low-bitrate mp3 recordings. I can't vouch for them, though -- I don't listen to many mp3 tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks