What's new

To Buy or Not To Buy? (1 Viewer)

Scott_ATL

Grip
Greetings all.

It's been quite a while since I've posted or even visited the forum, actually. I've been satisfied with my HT stuff for a while now and have been busy with other stuff...plus, I just don't have the cash to buy new stuff all the time.:frowning:

However, my office is moving, and we have a Sony KV-32FV1 television that I may be able to purchase.

I've done several searches, gone to epinions, audioreview, etc., and I cannot find much info on this model. It was manufactured in 1999, and doesn't appear to be a WEGA model. It is, however, a flat-screen CRT Trinitron unit.

My question is, how much would be a fair price to offer on said TV? The $200.00 number has come up, but is it worth more than that? $300.00 just seems to be too much nowadays since you can get a pretty nice brand new 32" TV for that price, and for another $100-$150 or so, you can get a decent flat screen CRT TV. And if it's worth even less, then great!

I don't need a new television necessarily, but if I can snag this one cheap, it'd be worth it since the TV in the common area (I have roommates, so I don't put super-decent stuff in common areas) is my old 19" that I've had for-flippin'-ever.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Edit -
Quite odd...it says this is my first new post, but I've posted here in the past. I've just been inactive for quite some time. I guess it resets after a while. Hmmm.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'd say if it's working properly and has component video inputs it's probably worth $300, but if you can get it for less then definitely try. You're not going to find a solid 32" flatscreen tv for $300 new anywhere, or even a good 32" non-flat, so it seems like a decent deal, just don't pay more than you feel comfortable with. Also keep in mind that it's a used set well out of warranty and it could go out at any time leaving you w/ a set needing repairs that could make the overall price go up in a hurry.

Scott_ATL

Grip
Excellent point regarding it being out of warranty. At least I do know where it's been for the last 5 years, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen it used in the conference room. However, if it breaks, you're right...it'd probably be expensive to fix.

Dammit, why'd you have to bring that up?;)

Is it really worth $300.00 even being 5 years old?

Just wondering.

Thanks for the input.

SimiA

Second Unit
I believe this model sold for up to $1400 new.
Make a lower offer than $300; see if they accept it.
All they can say is no.
If you can count how many times it has been on, it's probably gonna last at least another 7-10 years.
Not a bad deal for the $$$.
Vb

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Crutchfield was selling this set for $1,599.99 & that was probably Sony's MSRP. The set is a Flat Tube Wega & the V1 was the very first Flat Tube Wega. It has a 3-Line Digital Comb Filter, 2-Tuner P-I-P, 30 Watt SRS Auto Sound Enhancement System, 4 Composite A/V Inputs (1 Front), 2 S-Video Inpits (1 Front), 1 Set Of Component Video Inputs & Selectable Fixed or Variable Audio Outputs. Original Labor Warranty was only 90 Days, Parts 1 Year, Tube 2 Years. I hate to say it but if the set hasn't been on very many times it's probably worth $300 or $400 but that would'nt stop me for offering them less ;) but your not getting screwed at $300 & for that kind of money your not going to find a new Flat Tube set anywhere near that price or near the "Build Quality" of the FV1 & I'm guessing it even has a better power supply in it than the new 32 Inch "S" Series Wega's. Some other Specs:
Fine Pitch Aperture Grille
High-Focus Electron Gun
High-Percision Deflection Yoke
Wide-Band Video Amplifier
Dynamic Focus Circuity
Color Temperature Enhancement
Color Correction
Picture Pre-sets: Vivid, Standard, Movie
Favorite Channel Presets
Channel Block
Multi-Brand Remote Control
Wide 35 1/2 Inches
High 27 Inches
Deep 24 1/2 Inches

Scott_ATL

Grip
Scored it for $200.00...even got a JVC Hi-Fi VCR as well, although I don't really need said VCR. Haven't set it up yet because I need a new stand/cabinet for the 27" TV that will now go into the Living Room.

But thanks for the responses and input. :)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a great deal. Hope it works out well for you. You could always donate the VCR to a church or school, they're still using alot of VHS. There's also ebay, might help offset the cost of the set by $20 or so.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Scott, Go over & check out IKEA for tv stands. They have a really nice one that is silver colored (Will Match The Sony)& has 2 glass shelves & holds up to 220 lbs for only $59.00 Also Great Deal on the Sony TV :emoji_thumbsup: But how come I never run across deals like this? :frowning:

Scott_ATL

Grip
Thanks for the suggestion of the IKEA stand. I'll take a look at those. However, the new stand is needed in my Living Room for a 27" Philips TV that is coming out of my bedroom (where the Sony is going), so the silver color is really neither here nor there...the Philips TV is black. The stand in my room is large enough for the Sony, so, no problems there.

I may get that $24.00 black stand for the Living Room, though...it looks just fine, and the price is right.

And I'm with you on the frequency of such deals...they don't happen often enough, do they?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks