What's new

TNT LotR was a disaster in high def... (1 Viewer)

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I recently purchased a Sony XBR5. I knew the LCDs have motion blur problems but parts of the LotR trilogy this weekend were unwatchable. Gandalf's fall in Moria was one total blur. I used the motion enhancer, which made absolutely no difference at all.

I knew TNT did not show the movies in the correct aspect ratio, but what I don't know (as I know nothing about such problems at all) is if this could be part of the problem with the picture? When it was not a pixelated mess it was like watching something screened on burlap. No, the TV has not been calibrated (will that help the motion problem?), but when there is no movement (i.e. dialoge shots) the picture is beautiful.

My most urgent question--when LotR finally is released on Blu Ray, and I've been able to purchase the Blu Ray player, will the player help at all with these motion problems? If it's always going to look like this on this LCD I'll just satisfy myself by watching it in standard def on another TV.

If this question belongs in another forum, mods please move it. I'm just not sure what Blu Ray can or cannot do in regards to smoothing out the picture. I'd like to think it was largely the fault of Brighthouse Cable's signal. But what I need is the real answer. I'm going to be very disappointed with this new TV if this is the best there is. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I wouldn't worry about it too much. TNT's shows have all kinds of weird distortions on my CRT. You watch a credit roll, and the names separate and come back together. Their stretching and zooming makes everything look screwed up, and I've also seen weird movement during pans and tilts. If you own them, run the standard LOTR DVDs on your TV and I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied. The Sony XBR has a pretty strong reputation. And, I think the Blu-Ray discs will look great for you.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I agree that the issue is most likely with TNT. The stretching and compression are only making things worse. I would bet that when this is out on BR the image will be much better (AND BE THE PROPPER ASPECT RATIO!!!!).

Sorry I yelled. :) but the stretching these so called HD channels are doing is driving me mad.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Many thanks--you've made me feel better. LotR is about my favorite flick, and the thought that my TV wasn't going to be able to handle the action was getting me down. What I know about frames per second and picture quality can be comfortably put on the head of a pin, but I am very pleased with the picture that, for example Discovery HD Theater puts out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks