1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Titans (D.C. Universe)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by tempest21, Sep 14, 2018.

1. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Disclaimer: I haven't been able to find a topic on this series anywhere within these forums but if there is, feel free to merge this with the pre-existing topic.

Every time I heard some promise by Warner Brothers, the producers, the directors or the actors talk about how fans should wait until the series debuts, the more I keep swearing at Warner Brothers and D.C. Universe for giving us this travesty that is D.C.'s Titans. The problem isn't with the majority of the character designs for the series but with Starfire. Don't take this as race baiting or hate, because it's not. Anna Diop was a fine choice to portray Starfire but every leaked photo, every official imiage, even the trailer and the official cast photo is NOT selling me on this series.

Starfire still looks like a hooker, prostitute, tramp, hoe, whatever terminology you want to put in there. Every image that has been leaked to the public has shown Starfire as a black woman and I can;t believe that I'm saying this, but someone should fire Greg Berlanti for getting Starfire wrong. Arrow, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl ... these shows were done pretty awesomely and I can't believe that he dropped the ball on a character as well known, well-loved and well-liked by the fans of the various incarnations of the Titans comics and animation shows.

She looks like like a tramp from one of those old 70's Shaft movies. I keep expecting Richard Roundtree to appear and proclaimj "you've been pranked".

I expected orange skin, green eyes, reddish-orange hair. Even when Starfire is not powered up, she does not have black skin. I just expected more quality control when it came to a character as important as Starfire is. I'd hate to say it, but the look of Starfire is going to fail this series in a major way if Warner brothers and D.C. Universe doesn't fix her appearance.

I just don't think they are selling it to the fans because it sure as hell hasn't sold me on the series. If Titans is going to sell their D.C. Universe streaming service, then someone isn't doing a very good job at that.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This looks like "Batman Forever: The Series", only without Batman. I'd maybe give it a show if it was on The CW, but it doesn't make me want to subscribe to yet another streaming service.

For everybody's reference, the trailer:

3. tempest21

Mark
    Tell me about it. I felt the same way about CBS All Access when they were trying to launch Star Trek: Discovery as the flagship series. ST:D just didn't impress me all that much to sit through a new Star Trek series and be forced to watch subtitles. If I wanted to watch subtitles, I'd watch some anime (which I like better than Star Trek). But, the whole thing about with Titans that will sell me to D.C. Universe's new streaming service is how they visualize Starfire and I just haven't been impressed.

I see to recall everyone involve with the series telling fans to hold off judgment. Well, the marketing for the series has been an absolute failure (didn't D.C. Universe learn anything from Sony's Ghostbuster reboot). This isn't just me saying this but there are a lot more fans of this series that have expressed similar concerns. The series is going to succeed or fail based on what Starfire is going to look like in the show. I'm also not happy with Cyborg/Victor Stone being a member of the Doom Patrol. D.C. Universe has this kind of ass-backwards.

If I remember correctly, it was Garfield Logan/Changeling/Beast Boy who started out in Doom Patrol and Cyborg started out in New Teen Titans. When Garfield left Doom Patrol, it was a period of time before he was recruited by Raven for the New Teen Titans. Yeah, I've always been a fan of the Marv Wolfman/George Perez reboot of the New Teen Titans (1980-1988).

4. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Here is one of my favorite comic book series that I was very much into years ago:

[​IMG]

That trailer....ummm that resembles nothing of what I used to love about the comic books. It is hideous, ugly, dark and more.

I think I'm going to take my love for DC, and keep it in the past tense. I am officially done with everything they have to offer. Film, and TV.
    Thanks for pretty much nothing.

ponset and tempest21 like this.
  5. tempest21

Mark
    Bryan, that is the series that I also grew up with. I think I gravitated toward that series, simply because I related more to the new characters in the series. Marv Wolfman and George Perez really made that series identify with a lot of its fans. That was the version of the group that I thought that D.C. Universe would adapt but this new series isn't recognizable to any version of the Titans. It doesn't even resemble the first animated series of the Titans. I'm also dreading by what Cyborg is going to look and if they end up one-offing Trigon, it's going to be a disaster for this series. Worst yet, how will they adapt some of the best Titans storyarcs every written: The Judas Contract, the Brother Blood storyarcs that first Brother Blood storyarc, etc.

I just don't hold too much hope for this series simply because they are already off to a rotten start. Most of the character designs were palatable to me, except for Starfire. I think they should name the Starfire in this series to "Hooker From Another World" or Hookaw. I've literally seen cosplayers who looked like Starfire than the Anna Diop version in the trailer. The fact that she looks like a hooker is going to force a lot of parents to ban this series from their homes. I just think that after the first episode drops, that the series is going to take a major hit in the reviews if D.C. Universe doesn't do something by the end of the first episode to fix that problem.

I'll check out the first episode to see if her appearance changes. But, if they wait until the final episode of the first season to make her comic-book accurate appearance, then they are going to lose a lot of support for this series. Netflix did that with their Lost in Space reboot and they got excoriated by fans and critics for it. I think someone (an entertainment reviewer) had remarked that "they don't get Lost in Space until the final scene of the season finale".

Bryan^H likes this.
  6. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    I don't have any problem with casting a black actress for Starfire. I do have a problem with the relentless grim and dark texture of everything DC does (excepting parts of the Arrowverse). DC was always a bit brighter and lighter than the competition, which makes the turn to grim and gritty more jarring. Add in Robin's "F*** Batman" comment in the trailer, and this is not a show I want to see. They're making generic dark superheroes and slapping name-brands on them, which cheapens the whole thing.

tempest21 and Bryan^H like this.
  7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I don't know what bothers me more, that the trailer reminds me of the worst homemade fanboy videos circa late 90's(the dark and dreary imagery and writing) or that there will be fans waiting to see it "oh my god did you here what Nightwing said? He said fuck Batman. This is going to be the best show ever".

Add it all up and it's a scary mess.

Sam Favate likes this.
  8. tempest21

Mark
    Tell me about it, Sam. This all started when Warner brothers hired Christopher Nolan, jacked up by a factor of 10 from Zack Snyder and now it infects everything that Warner brothers does with these D.C. Comics superheroes. I'm just sick to death of these "darker and grittier versions" of the franchise that is the DCU. While it's nice that Titans was greenlit, I just don't hold out much hope that Titans will be successful. Then there's Arrowverse's Batwoman and the DCU's Batgirl. It's like Warner Brothers and DCU keep doubling down on the same ideas then in trying to actually create something that fans will enjoy.