What's new

Titans (D.C. Universe) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was skeptical of this show from the first I heard and saw of it. But I did watch the first episode and it wasn't terrible. I kinda liked the characterizations of Dick and Rachel. I haven't seen enough of the other two yet, although Kory's got me interested in her story. I hear it gets better, so I will watch the rest of this season. I do wish they'd drop the profanity. I don't have a problem with that kind of language, but it belongs in The Wire and The Sopranos, not a comic book show. I also wish they'd tone down the brutality. At times, it seemed like I was watching The Punisher on Netflix (an R-rated comic book show if ever there was one).

So is this part of the Arrowverse or not? It sure seems like it is, with reference to Kostantin Kovar (Dolph Ludgren's character from Arrow), even though he is played by a different actor. I guess with the Flash's theory of the multiverse, they're all in Arrowverse.

One thing that's clear from all these Berlanti shows, including this one and all the CW shows: They're begging for the chance to do Batman. The first episode of Titans we actually see Bruce Wayne's hand on young Dick Grayson's shoulder, and his time with Batman informs his entire character. Berlanti has already used Superman to great effect (and rumor has it he will get his own show), they've teased a Wonder Woman connection in Legends, and now they're getting ready to use Batwoman in their annual crossover, so Batman is the next natural guest star.

Warner should relent and let them use Batman. It's not like the films are using him. What's the status of Matt Reeves' film? Is Affleck in or out? It's been months since we had an answer. A Batman film should have been ready to premiere next summer for the 80th anniversary of the character (and the 30th of the first Tim Burton film), and it's not even close. That's cinematic malfeasance.

In any case, I liked enough of what I saw in Titans episode 1 to give the show a chance. That's more than I expected. Credit goes to Team Berlanti.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Saw the second episode. Even better. I do wish the brutality/profanity was toned down (I can't show it to my kids, for one thing, and they love DC), but I can't deny I am enjoying the show. I didn't want to like it!

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
The problem for me is that each episode seems to take too long for the buildup and there has been no mention of Trigon, except for some vague references by the big bag mortal guy. The introduction of the Doom Patrol, that team was just creepy as hell. But, I hope they do Cyborg right and have him transition over to the Titans. It wouldn't be Titans without Cyborg. I'm also still waiting for Starfire's traditional appearance. So far, she still looks like a street hooker. AND, WTH? Starfire is now wearing a pantsuit (episode 7), when she was wearing a dress nonstop in previous episodes? Where did that happen?

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was skeptical of this show from the first I heard and saw of it. But I did watch the first episode and it wasn't terrible. I kinda liked the characterizations of Dick and Rachel. I haven't seen enough of the other two yet, although Kory's got me interested in her story. I hear it gets better, so I will watch the rest of this season. I do wish they'd drop the profanity. I don't have a problem with that kind of language, but it belongs in The Wire and The Sopranos, not a comic book show. I also wish they'd tone down the brutality. At times, it seemed like I was watching The Punisher on Netflix (an R-rated comic book show if ever there was one).

So is this part of the Arrowverse or not? It sure seems like it is, with reference to Kostantin Kovar (Dolph Ludgren's character from Arrow), even though he is played by a different actor. I guess with the Flash's theory of the multiverse, they're all in Arrowverse.

One thing that's clear from all these Berlanti shows, including this one and all the CW shows: They're begging for the chance to do Batman. The first episode of Titans we actually see Bruce Wayne's hand on young Dick Grayson's shoulder, and his time with Batman informs his entire character. Berlanti has already used Superman to great effect (and rumor has it he will get his own show), they've teased a Wonder Woman connection in Legends, and now they're getting ready to use Batwoman in their annual crossover, so Batman is the next natural guest star.

Warner should relent and let them use Batman. It's not like the films are using him. What's the status of Matt Reeves' film? Is Affleck in or out? It's been months since we had an answer. A Batman film should have been ready to premiere next summer for the 80th anniversary of the character (and the 30th of the first Tim Burton film), and it's not even close. That's cinematic malfeasance.

In any case, I liked enough of what I saw in Titans episode 1 to give the show a chance. That's more than I expected. Credit goes to Team Berlanti.

I agree the parts of titans dealing dick when he was being trained and raised by Bruce is excellent, why are they wasting him on the big screen, a serious Batman series is greatly needed, they have such a huge story they could tell

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
One thing that's clear from all these Berlanti shows, including this one and all the CW shows: They're begging for the chance to do Batman.

Trailer spoiler: the season finale (next week) will feature Batman. Robin vs Batman.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
What I'm confused about is that I had read from a lot of sources that the first season had been ordered with 12 episodes but now the 11th episode is the finale. I just find it odd that the season is finished with 11 episodes, which sounds like an odd number for a episode count for a season of a TV series.

I was expecting to see Trigon make an actually appearance in his demonic form but it doesn't look like that's going to happen, unless it's a flashback or flash-forward by the end of the 11th episode. But, I'm shocked that Warner Brothers is allowing Batman to be used in this series since Greg Berlanti isn't allowed to use Bruce Wayne or batman in the Arrowverse; that character/persona is still off-limits to the Arrowverse, according to recent news regarding the Elseworld's crossover.

But, I suspect that the 11th episode with Batman is going to be more of a flashback, triggered by Trigon's human persona. By the end of the 10th episode, Dick was seen entering Arella's family home.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have only two episodes left in this season. It's been surprisingly very good. I know many of us - myself included - were dismissive of the show before it aired. But I gave it a chance and I have to admit they did something good with this. It's not perfect -- I think it's too adult for the subject matter (far too violent, as much adult language as Game of Thrones, and more than PG-13 sex) but the writing and the casting have been great. It's obviously meant to be DC's answer to the Marvel Netflix shows and it goes beyond the adult content in those.There is nothing that sets it apart from the Arrowverse shows (it is a Berlanti show, after all) and they'd do well to make it connected.

Are Hawk & Dove getting their own show? The latest episode seemed like a backdoor pilot. I know Doom Patrol is set for 2019 (how many shows can Berlanti do?). They name-dropped Wonder Woman and Justice League in the one that introduced Donna Troy (who seems thankfully not as angst-driven as the others). Nice to see Man in the High Castle's Conor Leslie in the role.

The show has already been renewed for 12 episodes in season 2.

I also hope there is a blu-ray release.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The season finale left us on quite a cliffhanger. It's obvious the show is very confident and received word of their renewal early on, so they can end this way. I won't spoil anything, but fans of the wider DC Universe will be pleased.

PS Stay til after the credits.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Here's a new poster for the show, which says it's a "Netflix Original Series."

Why is this? Is this another case of American audiences being charged for another service (CBS All Access, DC Universe) while the rest of the world views it on Netflix (Star Trek Discovery, Titans)? That kind of model is not sustainable.

titans_ver6.jpg

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
For once, I'm glad I didn't waste money paying for D.C. Universe's streaming service. This series has been a major letdown for me. I watched it by other means (don't ask). Ever since D.C. Universe announced the production on this show, this series has had nothing but disastrous PR going into the series and the fact that they kept pulling the rug out from under fans' feet is just another reason why people shouldn't waste their money on their service.

First, let's talk about Anna Diop, who kept telling fans that Starfire's traditional appearance would make it's way toward the end of the first season. Except ... it didn't. Turned out, it was a nightmare sequence that existed solely in Dick's mind. Oh, and nowhere did we see Starfire's trademarked orange skin, fiery orange/red hair, her ability to fly, etc.

Second, all season long, it was reported that there were going to be 13 episodes for the first season, then it was cut down to 12, then, without notice, the producers and directors decided to let the 11th episode stand as the faux-finale for the first season because they wanted the season to end on a cliffhanger. Maybe that would have been a good strategy if this show didn't already have baggage going into the first season. Turns out, the 11th episode is actually the semi-second season premiere and that the producers and directors decided to trash the 12th episode. According to interviews, they are going to use bits and pieces of the scrapped 12th episode for the first episode of the second season.

D.C. Universe should not have used this strategy for the first season because they needed to accumulate good will on the part of the fans who might have continued to support this show. But, the rug pulls, the fake outs, the scrapped episode was just too much of a risky move and I think that fans are going to end up dumping the show over this. While the first season had some good moments, they were few and far between and they dropped the ball on the character development, focusing more on "filler material" just to get the first season over and done with. What would have gotten fans talking is if they would have showed Trigon in his full demonic glory (as he appears in the comics) as a sort of of "gimme" for the fans to get them to return.

Just sad that this first season missed a lot of opportunities to grab fans by the neck and make them take notice. The episode "Donna Troy" was the brightest standout in the season, with maybe the first episode (sans the costumed Robin, of course).

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
This series has been a mixed bag for me. Overall I give it a C+.
Things I like: DOOM PATROL, Donna Troy(Actress chosen is spot on), the uniforms for both Robins,
Hawk & Dove were excellent.

Just too violet and too much swearing.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This series has been a mixed bag for me. Overall I give it a C+.
Things I like: DOOM PATROL, Donna Troy(Actress chosen is spot on), the uniforms for both Robins,
Hawk & Dove were excellent.

Just too violet and too much swearing.

I'd probably give it a B or B-, but otherwise I agree with everything above. I'm not sure why DC feels it needs to make shows and movies about comic book characters that are so adult that no kids will get to see them. My opinion of this show only would have gone up if it was less violent and less profane.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I have to say that D.C. Universe should have made this series more accessible to everyone. But with the violent content and all of the swearing, no parent is going to let their family watch this series. I've read just about every Titans comic series and not a single one of them was ever as violent as this series is. I think that DCU is just allowing these characters to "swear" to be able to highlight the fact that "we swear on our show". It's why I don't like "The Good Fight" either because they use the same tactic.

The purpose of any studio that is producing a television series, movie, or streaming content is get as many people as possible to watch your content, not to limit who will be able to watch it. The swearing that has been included in the first season had little to do with the plot, the characters or the story. There's just too much emphasis on these studios who think they can market their content by saying "these aren't your father's ____". It's a cheap marketing gimmick. Almost like holographic, 3D or alternate comic book covers.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Looking forward to Stargirl but not Doom Patrol. I hate the design of Cyborg. He looks like someone just took a bunch of miscellaneous metallic parts without using the comic books as a guide for his design. They could have even used the Justice League movie as a guideline on his design. But, it looks like Cyborg was designed with no budget in mind. He just looks like someone's cheap wet dream. LMAO

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks