What's new

Timing Belt replacement (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
According to the documentation for our car (92 Nissan Axxess) the manufacturer recommends replacing the timing belt at 95 000 km. It's at somewhere over 100 000 now, and running with no major problems. Since it seems like it'd be a reasonably expensive replacement, I'm just wondering if it's even necessary. Anyone have any thoughts?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Unless you want to buy a new engine, get it replaced. A replacement belt + labor should run you ~$700 or below. Well worth it considering a new engine would run you more :)

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
I would also second the recommendation on getting it replaced. My dad is a mechanic and I work on cars as a hobby('65 cutlass convertible) and I have actually had one fail before. Luckily it didn't do any damage to the engine but that depends on the design of the engine. It can cause bent and or broken valves and major head and piston damage if the engine is designed with little clearance between the pistons and valves. I would say a few hundred dollars is cheap insurance vs. several thousand for a new head/engine. Most manufacturers recommend replacement around 60,000 miles or so.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
what's the axxess? I was under the assumption that nissan uses only timing chains, and not belts. Chains are a little more expensive to replace.
to be honest I've never heard of one failing, but am only familiar with the altima engine.

Brad_V

Second Unit
Another thing when possibly replacing the water pump with a tbelt is to also change the bearings/pulleys the tbelt rides on. I wouldn't worry about them much during the first timing belt job, but after 100k miles things start wearing out, and at maybe $15 or $20 apiece, it's cheap insurance.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Did a little more research, and verified that the car uses a chain and not a belt, and that the chains do not need to be replaced (which makes sense-chains won't wear nearly as quickly).

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the chain has to be replaced eventually, but not for a long long time. Luckily, because it's a big job I've heard.
glad you found your info! nissan rocks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks