What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Mr. Deeds Goes to Town -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For decades the works of Frank Capra, who was a major force at Columbia during his tenure there, were treated as catalog titles. Need a print? Make one from whatever's at the lab.

Slowly things turned, with a new respect for his works.

Robert Gitt's reconstruction of Lost Horizon at UCLA, was a major step.

Over the past 25 years or so, work has progressed slowly, beginning in the analogue world. The Library of Congress' analogue restoration on Mr. Deeds was extremely important.

But now, with digital tool belts at the ready, the Capra films are being restored in fully resolved 4k resolution.

The latest to reach Blu-ray is Mr. Capra's now 80 year-old production, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, with Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur in the leads, and based upon a fully Capra-esqe screenplay by the great Robert Riskin.

Mr. Deeds remains an extraordinary work, that not only stands the test of time, but outshines many current productions. It's that good. Placed alongside Mr. Capra's other major Columbia productions, all produced within an incredibly short six year period, from 1934 to 1939, you'll find similar perspectives toward the finest attributes of the human ethic, with all of its pathos and comedy intact.

With only five films, the concept that we know as love as Capra-corn evolved. It Happened One Night is a wonderful comedy, but beginning with Mr. Deeds, Lost Horizon, You Can't Take it With You, Mr. Smith, and John Doe (not a Columbia picture) one can see his palette evolve.

These are all extremely important productions, and I'm thrilled that the newest 4k restoration has made use of the best elements, the best technology, and the best brainpower possible to put everything in the correct place.

With Columbia's Rita Belda at the helm, what you'll see when you view this Blu-ray is an absolute "Crispian" product. Everything is handled properly. Replaced shots and frames are graded to make them as transparent to the whole as possible by colorist Scott Ostrowsky. Resolution is almost otherworldly.

The track offers audio that I've never heard before, with clarity and depth that can only come from the most original of elements.

Where original material is available, black levels and shadow detail mimic a nitrate print, along with original grain structure. For this one, I invite viewers to place their eyes against the screen, in a totally improper viewing distance, and what you'll see is film.

Up-rezzed to 4k, Mr. Deeds is a testament to modern film restoration.

For those unfamiliar with the production, or (I hate to think it) the work of Mr. Capra, viewing Mr. Deeds is a good start. You can go back and re-visit It Happened One Night. Lost Horizon should arrive in the near future. Mr. Smith and You Can't are currently available.

Once you're acclimated to the major works, best to visit Platinum Blonde, American Madness, Lady for a Day and Bitter Tea, and you'll begin to see where things began and how they progressed. Want to go back even further, check out the works of Harry Langdon.

But whatever you do, run, do not walk, and pick up a copy of Mr. Deeds, while still in it's beautifully produced 80th anniversary packaging.

And whatever you do, don't confuse this with Mr. Deeds, the 2002 film. I mention this, as the new restoration is not yet showing up at Amazon.

It arrives November 22.

At Best Buy, it can be pre-ordered for $15.

Which is an price at which everyman can afford to make the purchase.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
For anyone who can't wait, as mentioned on another thread the blu ray is shipping now from Amazon in Canada. Looking forward to receiving my copy.

Reactions: PMF

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I'm delighted this disc is so good. Mr. Deeds Goes To Town is my favorite Capra film.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
FYI, Barnes & Noble's website currently has it for $13.35, also with the November 22nd release date. Worth it if you're a member and get free express shipping.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
As I mentioned in the other thread, I already have the Blu-ray up in Canada. How that happened, I do not know. I agree with everything Mr. Harris said. I am "pixilated" with the results.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It arrives November 22.

Huh.

It would be nice if this could be confirmed...seeing as to how it was expected (and announced) to make its US release on October 4th (and apparently has seen the light of day in Canada).

Glad to hear it gets such high marks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and You Can't Take It With You came out in Nov/Dec. I think the Oct. release of Mr. Deeds (in the US at least) was temporarily an Amazon exclusive, which appears to now be sold out. The general release looks to be set in November, keeping with the same timeframe as the Capra Collection releases for the past couple years. At least, that's my best attempt at piecing all of this together :)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
What Josh said. The October date was just an Amazon thing. General release is definately set for Nov 22 (although Amazon Canada still has some for $16ish)

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Replaced shots and frames are graded to make them as transparent to the whole as possible by colorist Scott Ostrowsky.

For someone like myself with limited technical knowledge, could someone explain what exactly this means? Thanks!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] Resolution is almost otherworldly.
[...] It arrives November 22.
Due to the other masterful Capra/Crisp restorations, I was already on board for this much-awaited title.
But, at this juncture, I must make charges against our resident Archivist for the use of certain mental tortures and holding us all against our will.
I say this, for there had been a prior time in which one Mr. Harris had used the term "otherworldly". It was for "The Kid". And man, was he more than right about that one.
Now, with "Mr. Deeds", he goes to town with the highest of praise and uses "otherworldly" for a BD not to be released until November 22nd.:mellow:
I want my "Deeds", now.:)
I may be greedy; but RAH is barbarous and cruel.;)

Last edited:

anorthosite

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
For someone like myself with limited technical knowledge, could someone explain what exactly this means? Thanks!

The best surviving elements for older films often contain sections from lower-quality elements used to replace damage. Even if the original camera negative survives, parts of it might have been scratched, torn, or lost, e.g., when making prints. The studio would replace lost or damaged parts with duplicate negative so they could still make prints. The inserted portions had more contrast and grain due to limitations in older duplicating stocks. You can see the lower quality in the inserts.

Digital tools let you manipulate replaced sections to look more like the surrounding original stock, e.g., by reducing grain and contrast to levels that match the original negative. "Grading" is the process of adjusting shots to match each other. The Blu Ray looks more like the original, unrepaired film because the repairs are less conspicuous (i.e., they're "more transparent," meaning invisible, like a clean window). In some digital restorations, optical effects (which also show the limitations of older duplicating stocks) are cleaned up the same way.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
With Columbia's Rita Belda at the helm, what you'll see [...] is an absolute "Crispian" product. [...] Replaced shots and frames are graded to make them as transparent to the whole as possible by colorist Scott Ostrowsky. [...]
Congratulations to Rita Belda and Scott Ostrowsky.
I'm looking forward to seeing your work and efforts on this film.
Meanwhile, this leads to one big question.
Are the rights to "It's a Wonderful Life" accessible to Sony?
If not, could a joint arrangement be worked out?
The honors of restoration must somehow get into the hands of Mr. Crisp, Ms. Belda and Mr. Ostrowsky; especially after this review from RAH.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
As I mentioned in the other thread, I already have the Blu-ray up in Canada. How that happened, I do not know. I agree with everything Mr. Harris said. I am "pixilated" with the results.
Brilliant.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So the job of a colorist on this b&w film would be the blacks and shades to match as closely as possible with the other elements?

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
As it says in the Digibook (which I have and you are all waiting for...dig, dig, dig)...
"In 2014, the original camera negative was in poor physical condition with numerous notches and stressed perforations and was missing footage in nearly every reel....The delicate original negative was evaluated, repaired and scanned at 4K by Cineric, in New York.....But there was still plenty of restoration to be done, especially on the shorter sections of the film that had been lost from the original negative - sometimes a few frames to nearly half a shot or more. For these materials, we turned to the duplicate nitrate negatives and were able, using digital restoration and color correction, to insert just the frames that had been lost from the alternate elements." These are the parts that had to be graded to look as close as possible to the original negative. Can't say I've noticed a lot of them watching the blu-ray. What I notice more is the degradation where there are optical effects like wipes, dissolves, etc., like you usually notice in older films.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I can't imagine that anyone who is reading this thread isn't already a Capra fan; or has yet to purchase at least one of Sony's prior BD offerings of "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", "You Can't Take It With You" or Criterion's "It Happened One Night". BUT, if you have made it this far and have not yet experienced the immense care put into these annual offerings, then do yourself a good "Deed" and go forth without any further thought. They are all precious gems; both as films and as restorations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks