1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Time to replace my Rythmik FV12

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by soapboxpreacher, Nov 25, 2018.

1. soapboxpreacher

soapboxpreacher Auditioning

Erik
    My FV12 has treated me fairly well however it seems to be a boomy sub. I am using it primarily for HT. I have an Atmos setup based around a Sony DN1080. I just recently upgraded my fronts and center to elac debut 2.0 and I have the itch to upgrade the sub as well. The FV12 (I cannot find specs on) has a forward firing port, 12" and it is a 20"x18"x22". My Room is 22'x18' and opens up to the kitchen on one of the 18" sides. I might not need a new sub but I do see the tendency to have stuff in the 40-60hz range (I could be wrong) overwhelmed. I am also stuck where I can put it so it is next to the floor speakers on the left side of the TV. I am considering a Monolith 12 as well as a VTF-2 Mk5. Are these upgrades to what I have? Finally have to stay under 750! Let me know. Thanks

2. Drew Young

Drew Young Auditioning

Drew Young
    I would by a huge media library before upgrading a Rythmic to another enthusiast grade unit with limited room.

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Have you measured your sub's in-room response to see exactly what frequencies are causing the boom? You may need a DSP to tame some room induced peaks.

I built my subs and they were weak when watching movies. No low end at all. When I turned them up for the low end, they were boomy to the point of being unlistenable. I measured the in-room response and I had a 14db peak at 55hz. I added a Behringer Feedback Destroyer and a applied a few filters to tame the output in that range. I'm now + or - 3db from 17hz to 120hz. It took a few hours and a $120 piece of equipment.