What's new

Time Life Dallas Seasons 1-6 on DVD (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In practice, I wouldn't be surprised at all if only regions 1 and 2 were used extensively as intended by the dvd patent holders and mpaa.

KarlB737

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Karl
I went ahead and ordered the 6-season set.

I'm tempted on this package as well however Time-Life has a habit of sending you more and more above and beyond what you originally ordered which can be frustrating until you return what you don't want. Having said that if they just stayed in the Dallas lane and kept sending seasons beyond season six all the way to the end of the series I could live with that. Yes it would be expensive.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm tempted on this package as well however Time-Life has a habit of sending you more and more above and beyond what you originally ordered which can be frustrating until you return what you don't want. Having said that if they just stayed in the Dallas lane and kept sending seasons beyond season six all the way to the end of the series I could live with that. Yes it would be expensive.

Hopefully they'll do that-- I don't think it'd be right for Time-Life to just do 6 seasons' worth.

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
Hopefully they'll do that-- I don't think it'd be right for Time-Life to just do 6 seasons' worth.

Honestly, I'd have preferred for this initial release to go through season 8, ending with Bobby's "death." It feels like a nice cut-off point, if they don't go any further. But if they keep going, I'll keep buying.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I', actually surprised they didn't get to that point either. But maybe they felt a lot of people would drop off then. As much as I hated the "dream" resolution, I gotta say one you got past that first 10 minutes, the season was stellar. One of the best years they had in a while. Once Victoria Principal left, though, the show was never the same.

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
I don't understand why you need to pay Time Life a fortune for 8 seasons, when you can have the whole series, on single sided DVDs + the movies collection, for far less (even if you include the most expensive shipping option on Amazon UK):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dallas-Com...69421020&sprefix=dallas+comple,aps,173&sr=8-1

The DVDs play on R1 players no problem. It will be at your door in less than a week....

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I don't understand why you need to pay Time Life a fortune for 8 seasons, when you can have the whole series, on single sided DVDs + the movies collection, for far less (even if you include the most expensive shipping option on Amazon UK):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dallas-Complete-Collection-1-14-Movies/dp/B007N0IKKM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3VB22Q3II9HGO&keywords=dallas+complete+dvd+box+set&qid=1569421020&sprefix=dallas+comple,aps,173&sr=8-1

The DVDs play on R1 players no problem. It will be at your door in less than a week....

The count of 105 discs appears to be consistent with splitting up each double-side flipper disc into corresponding two single-sided discs. IIRC, the original american version had 50 double-sided flipper discs, except for the movies and final season sets.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
One very good reason for many North American collectors, Pal speedup. If it's a show I really love and will watch a lot, I don't want to hear the change in the actors voices. I have a few American shows from PAL sources, but only ones that aren't available in Region 1.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dallas-Complete-Collection-1-14-Movies/dp/B007N0IKKM/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3VB22Q3II9HGO&keywords=dallas+complete+dvd+box+set&qid=1569421020&sprefix=dallas+comple,aps,173&sr=8-1

One very good reason for many North American collectors, Pal speedup. If it's a show I really love and will watch a lot, I don't want to hear the change in the actors voices. I have a few American shows from PAL sources, but only ones that aren't available in Region 1.

Or perhaps someone isn’t region free.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
The Time Life Dallas DVD set has disapeared from their website. I don't remember their sets selling out that quickly in the past. Anyone here get the set before it vanished?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yes, just like the Warner R1 discs work on R2 players, those R2 Warner discs work on R1 players. I'm yet to find a Warner DVD that's failed to work on any of my systems.

Does that mean that I could possibly purchase any one of the Region 2 Dallas releases and play it on my PS3 here in America?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If I had to guess, TimeLife no longer has an exclusive license for selling these giant sets? (ie. Expired license? )

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
The Time Life Dallas DVD set has disapeared from their website. I don't remember their sets selling out that quickly in the past. Anyone here get the set before it vanished?
I picked it up as soon as it was released, eager to replace my flipper sets. I was hoping they'd continue - especially since I never bought anything past season 9.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I picked it up as soon as it was released, eager to replace my flipper sets
I too wanted to replace the flipper discs. I hesitated because the audio commentaries weren't listed in the extras. I really enjoy commentaries and didn't want to give them up. I replaced my Dukes Of Hazard DVDs for the single sided discs before I realized the commentaries were missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks