What's new

Time Life Dallas Seasons 1-6 on DVD (1 Viewer)

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
This just looks like a re-packaging of what was previously released.

I'm not aware of any previous releases with edited episodes.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
It does look like these are single sided discs. Since the Warner single side re-release is getting hard to find, this may be an alternative. I didn't see any mention of audio commentaries though.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I don't know the purpose of re-releasing "Dallas" on DVD....But Time-Life seems to be in the business lately of re-releasing part of or all of complete series t.v.. series that were already released on DVD (other examples are recently "The Andy Griffith Show", "The Three Stooges" and "I Love Lucy/Lucy Show/Here's Lucy)…..in any case, since "Dallas" is a Warner Brothers property....and Time-Life is testing one of the more popular prime times soaps from the 80's.....wonder if "Knots Landing" and "Falcon Crest" might go this route as well since they are both Warner Brother properties as well. Music rights issues are holding back "Knots Landing" for the most part.....however Time-Life might be the right vehicle for "Knots Landing" to get on DVD in part or complete.....since most of Time-Life are either "high priced" or cut out a lot of "music"......Just an observation.....but "Knot's Landing" does have a 40th Anniversary this year.....so just wondering if this might be a consideration with a Time Life/Warner Brother deal?!?!?

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Looks like only the first 4 seasons so far. I hope they keep going, as I still haven't found Seasons 10 or 11 on single-sided discs!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Perhaps this is why the Dallas single-sided discs re-releases went out of print recently as general wide releases?

Warner wanted to make it a bigger collector's edition via timelife.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Looks like only the first 4 seasons so far. I hope they keep going, as I still haven't found Seasons 10 or 11 on single-sided discs!

Yes. I remember you were looking for those at some time last year. Were you able to get all but 10-11?

Pmprod7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
PM
I just saw the You Tube commercial for this set. They still didn't remaster the picture. It looks no different than the DVD set already out. Why have another chance to get it right and still use the same quality picture.

FrankPitt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frank
I went ahead and ordered the 6-season set. It's a little more costly than I'd like, but I hate the flipper discs on the sets I already have (some of which have freezing issues), so I'm willing to shell out for the upgrade. Hopefully, they'll release the remaining eight (eight!!) seasons, but part of me also hopes that these sell well enough that Time-Life will take mercy on me and package more Knots Landing!

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
I went ahead and ordered the 6-season set. It's a little more costly than I'd like, but I hate the flipper discs on the sets I already have (some of which have freezing issues), so I'm willing to shell out for the upgrade. Hopefully, they'll release the remaining eight (eight!!) seasons, but part of me also hopes that these sell well enough that Time-Life will take mercy on me and package more Knots Landing!

I'm pretty sure that Warner re - released the entire series in season sets with single sided discs last year, or the year before. So there was no need to overpay.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm pretty sure that Warner re - released the entire series in season sets with single sided discs last year, or the year before. So there was no need to overpay.

Yes, but those reissued sets are already scarce. If you want all of them (if you can find them) you will pay for it. I'm STILL hunting for Seasons 10 & 11 myself!

justarandomstan

Second Unit
Real Name
Stan
Yes, but those reissued sets are already scarce. If you want all of them (if you can find them) you will pay for it. I'm STILL hunting for Seasons 10 & 11 myself!

The Complete Series Set (Both the OG and the Re - Release from last year) that got released in the UK also had single sided discs, and was/still is rather a very good value for money. If you had the patience to import it. Warner's DVD's are region free.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The Complete Series Set (Both the OG and the Re - Release from last year) that got released in the UK also had single sided discs, and was/still is rather a very good value for money. If you had the patience to import it. Warner's DVD's are region free.

IIRC, it wasn't quite region free. The old flipper disc versions of Dallas were set to regions 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Regions 5, 6, 7, and 8 were not set. (IIRC, region 5 was most of Africa, India subcontinent and the former Soviet Union. Region 6 was mainland China.)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Regions 5, 6, 7, and 8 were not set. (IIRC, region 5 was most of Africa, India subcontinent and the former Soviet Union. Region 6 was mainland China.)

Though I suspect regions 5 and 6 were rarely ever used formally. Especially if such dvd titles from the above mentioned regions/countries, were also being sold to expats in america / europe.

Almost every dvd I have come across which originated from Russia or China, were almost always ones which were region free. (I suspect some were outright pressed bootlegs).

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thinking about it more, I rarely ever came across dvd discs which were restricted to only region 3 (ie. southeast asia, hong kong, south korea, etc ...). Just about every chinese language dvd I ever came across, were almost always region free. Even ones which look "legitimate" and didn't appear to be bootlegs.

The few region 3 only restricted dvd discs I did come across, were almost always ones which didn't have any encryption. Back in the day it turns out many crappy "made in china" dvd players sold for less than $100 (under brand names which nobody has heard of), were able to play out-of-region discs if there was no css encryption on the discs.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Even in borderline cases such as dvd discs made for the mexico (and/or latin/south american) markets, I frequently came across ones which were set for both region 1 and region 4.

Mexico is technically region 4, but I suspect there was a huge secondary market in the united states for spanish language titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks