What's new

"THX", "Dolby Digital" and "HTF" plaques (1 Viewer)

MikeWh

Second Unit
heh heh, Tim... And I'll bet someone wants credit for their Dolby D I G I T A L · EX design. Oh, wait. Dolby does want credit... it's called a trademark! Doh! :wink:

Adrian_S

Second Unit
Ok, so I have been following this thread on and off for a while... can anyone print me a DTS, THX and DD plauqe thing for me? I can send you some cash via paypal.

I can get some wally-mart frames... just let me know

Magnus Bond

Auditioning
US guys...
I think this thread run off the track earlier, and I'm very sorry for that.
I suppose I cooperated to that, but I could'nt compress my lips. It was stupid...
But some of the posts really offended me deeply...
Like it's my fault that the shipping is expensive..??
Go to ups.com and calculate the price of shipping 10kg (8 plaques) to Sweden... the result is 196USD !!!
My offer for the other way and same weight was/are 49USD
And my shippingoffer was called "ridiculous"... that hurted me... :frowning:
My plaques are popular in most of the world, and I have no complaint.
If some of you HT-guys still are interested, you can visit my translated website, and send me inquiries...
The time heals all wounds... ;)

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Mr. Bond, you are correct, I also used your gorgeous signs as reference material for my finish, sorry I forgot to mention you in my original post, I was on my way out for the long weekend. Many thanks to you too.
MikeWh... well, if it means anything to them, I even put in the trademark logos! ;)
Brian, all I did was play around in PS a bit. I beveled the edges, chromed them, and then used I think the Xenofex "fur" filter to get the brushed look.
Thanks for the compliments folks, I'll post a pic when I get them all done.

Magnus Bond

Auditioning
Owen.. I'm happy to see that you are making your own plaque, and even use mine as reference, that must mean that they are good... But a little tip is to correct the spelling of "features" on the DTS sign... ;)
Also "Theatre" is the Brittish spelling, and in US people prefer "Theater", what do people prefer in Canada Owen?
(English is not my spoken language, but I've been told so)
Of course it's cheaper to build your own signs...
I've done investments in machines, and I also hire a small factory building for my little business.
It's obvious that I want my money back... and I am quite ready to admit that I'll be pleased if there is a little profit when the outlay is payed... :cool:
So... keep making your own plaques, and post pictures of them here. It's pleasantly to see differnet solutions.
And for the people that don't have machines or the knowledge making thier owns... I can assist...

Dave Getson

Stunt Coordinator
I actually prefer "theatre". I guess that's the traditionalist in me trying to keep alive what remaining part of Britain we have left.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Mr Bond, yes, I think the accepted Canadian spelling would be "theatre" so that's why I used it. And I'll check the DTS misspelling, but I think mine should be ok... (I hope). Also thanks for your good attitude towards people making their own signs. I really would like to have ordered some of yours, but it just wasn't financially possible for me. So I did the next best thing and attempted to make my own. I hope your business flourishes, and you can continue to provide such a fine product.

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Owen,

I love what you've done with Tim's signs. I was thinking of doing something similar, but also changing some colors to better match the "Detroit Red Wings" theme of my theater. One thing I didn't quite understand. You said that you imported Tim's BMPs into CorelDraw and then exported them as 600DPI BMPs. I haven't actually loaded Tim's stuff into Photoshop yet, but why did you have to do this step? I'm a newbie at PS, but I didn't really understand why you couldn't open Tim's drawing in PS and start cleaning stuff up from there.

I know I for one would LOVE to see some step by step instructions and settings for what you did in PS... i.e. the settings you used in the different filters, etc..

Thanks a bunch,
Jeff

PS - I may have missed it... but where did you pickup the frames and plexi that you used to mount your printouts?

Bob Cat

Auditioning
Why settle for "printed" brushed aluminum when you can have REAL brushed aluminum plaques?

I found a thread over at AVS and figured I'd post it here. I think the price for these things are $45 (made in USA, shipped in USA). Other than this, link, I don't know much more.

Ugh, this forum will not let me post a URL. It says that I'm too new. I may be new member to this forum, but I am a long time lurker.

anyway, go to the AVS Forum, do a search and type in "DD DTS THX Plaques For Home Theater". That should do the trick. There is a good photo on page 3 of the thread.

BobCat

JeffHayes

Stunt Coordinator
Bob Cat,
Yeah, I'm subscribed to that thread. That guys has been talking up those plaques for ages, but has nothing to show for it except a few poor imgs. and a vector drawing. It's been months that he has been saying "Just wait and you will be amazed". What will amaze me is if these puppies sell for under $100.. or show up before friggin Christmas. :)
Let us know if you do end up snagging some of these mythical plaques though. I know I would like to hear your impression when they become reality.
Thanks and regards,
Jeff
PS - Honestly, the DIY way just seems a little more cool to me. Plus I can color match them to my theater exactly... add different graphics, make slides to show onscreen, etc. Much tougher to do with a metal plaque. Call it the "tweaker" in me. Just gives me an excuse and a reason to play with Photoshop and learn some new stuff.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
OK Jeff, let me see if I can break this down...

I wanted some very high resolution images to print out on the professional printers at my dad's shop, so the first thing I had to do was scale up the quality of Tim's images. If you simply resize them or increase the resolution in Photoshop, you will have jags and blurry spots, etc., so its no good.

What I decided to do was create a vector based (scalable) copy in Corel Draw. So I imported his images, and pretty much just traced over them with VECTOR bojects that aren't prone to the above problems.

After I recreated the image, I wanted to be able to use photoshop filters and tweaks on them, so I exported them to a compatible RASTER format at 600 dpi. This was high enough that the image still looks very sharp printed out at 8.5 x 11 inches.

Once I got the 2 colour images into photoshop, I don't remember the exact settings I used, but I used the "Chrome" filter from Eye Candy 4000 to get the bevelled edges. I created a new layer (important) then I selected the area just inside the bevel (from the original layer) and applied the "Fur" filter from Eye Candy to the NEW layer. You have to play with that one till you get it all flat and coloured right. Then I faded the opacity of that layer so it wasn't too stark an effect.

I think thats about it... it just took some playing around. Sorry to make this so long for those not into computer graphics stuff!

ryan_kramer

Auditioning
I wanted to tell everyone there's a site you can use where you can find tens of thousands of legitimate vector graphic EPS logos.

Since I'm new, the forum software won't let me post it...

All of the logos you've talked about can be found there.

For those of us with Illustrator or Freehand or Photoshop... this site is an awsome resource.

Any ideas on how I can post it?

Dave_WY

Auditioning
Owen your plaques look great and your subwoofer on your homepage is really nice! Could you PM me please?
Dave

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Thanks to Ryan_kramer for the link.
For everyone's enjoyment, here it is: EPS Logos
edit: How freaky... I did a search on my company's logo and sure enough it's there...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks