What's new

"THX", "Dolby Digital" and "HTF" plaques (1 Viewer)

Bob Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Make sure that the orginal .eps files are stuffed/zipped. The compression sometimes used by various services plays havoc with .eps files.

Chris Kovacik

Auditioning
If anyone is interested, I have been working on collecting some nice signs for printing. I work at a print shop in which everything is digital. I have been able to get some really nice prints of the DD, DTS and THX signs. As soon as I get everything thing tweaked out really nice, if anyone is interested in getting some prints, I would be willing to print extras for whoever. Please be aware though, I would have to charge for this, as I have to pay for the prints also. Would let you know the price once I get it figured out, but dont see it going over $10 a print which would also include shipping.

Let me know if anyone would be interested.

Tim K

Second Unit
No problem....

I think the funniest part of all this is that I sat down and created all of those signs...yet I still haven't gotten around to printing them myself!!!

Mike G

Stunt Coordinator
Antonio, thanks for the link! I was able to use them with Corel Draw, I just had to use the import command.

Randall Z

Stunt Coordinator
Mad props to Tim K! I printed out the DTS ES (RED), DD EX (yellow), and THX (grey). All look great! Thanks for all your hard work. It saved me mad loot!
Now I can waste my money on more DVDs ;)

Todd_B

Second Unit
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread.
..and to those hosting the image files much thanks as well! :)
Now here are my two 'customized' signs that were a direct result of this thread :emoji_thumbsup:

I'll be adding some backlighting (w/Christmas lights) to my signs very soon :D
Todd B

BobMaslen

Grip
Todd,

Love those signs. Can you list what you did to make those. Did you use Tim's designs?

Where did you get the frame and how big is the image and frame?

Please help out the other DIYers

Thanks
Bob

Todd_B

Second Unit
My bad guys..
I used 2 simple 8x10 shadow boxes that I found at Big Lots for less than $5 a piece.
The signs were printed out on a HP Laser printer using glossy paper.
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/gfly1s.../shadowbox.jpg
^ You can see the shadowbox and sign.
The light that you see didn't do the trick, so that is why I'm going w/the Christmas light idea.
Todd B

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I've done my own version of these for DD EX, DTS ES, and THX, I'll try to take a pic of the nearly finished one tonight. There are still a few changes I have to make, mostly just the fit of the frame, but they turned out pretty nicely. I'll post a pic and give a quick rundown on what I did.

Thanks to everyone in this thread who got me inspired!

Kent F

Auditioning
I have been following this thread for awhile, and have been enjoying the results. I plan on doing this project...but, I also thought you could take the same 8x10 shadow boxes/backlight boxes...put old B&W movie photos in them, wire them together, put them side by side to resemble a film strip on the wall. The frames would serve as individual cells in the "filmstrip". Just an idea...

Kent

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
OK, here are some pics of the first one I put together. I think it turned out really nicely, except that the screws I used instead of the little brass pins that came with the plaque don't secure it right to the back. I might have to drill a bit into the MDF.
Anyway, here's a shot of the plaque
And here's a closeup so you can see the detail. I went for a brushed aluminum looking finish, with beveled edges.
What I decided to do was start from scratch to get some really high res vector images, so I took Tim K's images, put them into Corel Draw, and basically traced them. Then I exported them to 600 dpi bitmaps and fixed them up in Photoshop. My dad is in the printing business, so he was good enough to print them out for me at his plant, and I got some great looking 8.5 x 11 copies.
If there are any questions, fire away (but starting tonight I'll be gone till Monday). And thanks for the inspiration everyone! (esp. Tim and Mr. Bond!)

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
Owen, that sign you did looks great. How did you add in the brushed aluminum look to the lettering? Did you do the dts-es or thx signs like that also? any way i could get a hold of your images, they look great and would love to use them in my theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks