What's new

Thundersnow: A thunderstorm featuring snow. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
Has anyone ever experienced a thunderstorm with snow? I only remember it happening once many years ago when I was a little kid. During the storm my dad had to pick me up from preschool and while he was out getting me a tree fell on the house, while only damaging the garage door and doorframe. Strangely enough the damaged spot is still there over 20 yeatrs later.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yep, I've seen this. What I've seen doesn't usually go on for long like a summer thunderstorm, though. One or two rumbles is usually it.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
reminds me of the lewis black stand-up routine. "there was thunder, lightning, snow........to-GETHER!"

CJ

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Unless I'm really confused as to what this is, when it occurred here it went this way:

Thunder
Thunder
Rain, Sleet
give it an hour
pour of snow

Bah!

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I've seen this several times. Most recently was this past winter. We had a decent little snowstorm going, then out of nowhere there was a huge peal of thunder that shook the whole house. There were another half dozen or so blasts of thunder before it ended.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
The Blizzard of '78 that hit New England had thunder, lightning, 75 mph winds and dropped 36" of snow in 24 hrs. The storm surge had 30' waves hitting the shore and parts of the east coast of Mass. were flooded for days. Worst storm I've ever seen.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've seen this, too. In the winter of 1977/78 — in Nashville, Tennessee. A blizzard rushed through the town, and there was lightning and thunder associated with the storm. At the time I wondered if this were common in that state.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
when anyone says 'blizzard of 78' around here, everyone knows what they are talking about. it sounds like it really was a bad storm. luckily for me, i didnt have to do any shoveling. i was born just after it happened (march 78).

CJ

JamesCB

Second Unit
Actually, this is very common in the winter around Buffalo, NY. We get what is called "lake effect snow". Cold, dry air passing over a relatively warm Lake Erie will cause intense snows (6"+ an hour) and thunder and lightning is quite common in some of the worst storms. Happens at least once a year. The weirdest thing is, the lightning is intensly blue due to the ice crystals and snow.

James

StephenA

Screenwriter
I wish I was alive to see the blizzard of '78. I was born a year after it happened. It's funny that people still talk about it to this day, so I can only imagine what it was like.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

I remember being in Piedmont Park playing in the snow and hearing the thunder. Freaked me out a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks