What's new

Thousand Leggers - the most disgusting creature on Earth? (1 Viewer)

TimDoss

Second Unit
"awww, that looks just like a cute little baby weta..."

Cute????? You are a sick and twisted individual... and that's

why we like you so much here... but this... this is not a laughing matter here. So

many times I've been reduced to a quivering crying little

girl because I came across one of these beasts while weeding... just at the sight... if one were to somehow make

its way on me, the level of my scream alone would be enough

to make the little fu$@er explode. How dare you make light

of my trauma. My therapist will be hearing about this.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Here's an earwig story, when I was a little boy, we used to have a swimming pool and one day I went to put on my bathing suit and somehow this earwig thing had gotten in there without me noticing... And of course, it goes straight for my...ummm.. scrotum! OYYYYYEEEOOOUUUUUCCHHHH, ever see a 9 year old kid drop his bathing suit and run like mad??? Of course this was outside and my sisters were all in the pool already at this point while me and my mom are trying to get this bugger off me... I had no idea what it was at the time other than it having these huge pincer things. Later did I find out the proper name for that bastard.... Now I crush them whenever I see them.. :)
Jay

TimDoss

Second Unit
Andy, I knew what would be in that link... I knew I didn't
want to see it.... but I looked anyway. It took me twenty
minutes to convince the gathering crowd outside my office that
it wasn't me they heard scream. Thank you. I hate you. ;)

Julie K

Screenwriter
Hmmm...potato bug is just another variation on a basic 'cricket' theme...looks like cute baby weta :)
Come on guys, we are as GODS to insects. We are HUGE, ALL-POWERFUL, MALIGNANT FORCES not to be TRIFLED WITH! At the merest WHIM we can UTTERLY DESTROY THEM! Bwahh haaa haaa!!!
Or you can just squish them or buy bug-bombs for the house.
Or you can also learn to appreciate (when outside) a very different sort of small life that is, for the most part, completely harmless.

TimDoss

Second Unit
I would rather wake up face to face with Cthulu(which if the rumors of what he was modeled after are true, I have and it

wasn't that scary)than a frickin' potato bug. The potato

bug is the devil. If I had to choose to walk through a place

where potato bugs might live, or go back and face a big guy

in a hockey mask... I'd take the guy in the hockey mask.

Although I think if I had a potato bug in a jar the guy in

the hockey mask would probably run away screaming, brushing

himself off madly thinking there might be one on him, and then

in his mad fit of brushing himself off he would probably cut himself all up with his machete, so really I

guess that ugly little guy isn't so bad after all, he may have just

saved my life.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I thought potato bugs were those cute little rolly polly bugs (like the farting Greek acrobats in A BUG'S LIFE) that curled into a ball when you touched them...
Whatever that mutation is that's in that link, I am freaked out just lookin at it.
Crumb this is a horrible, lunch-spoiling thread. :frowning:
MC

Julie K

Screenwriter
Hmmmm...I worry about what you've been sleeping with, Tim :eek: Anyway, even potato bugs can't drive you insane just by looking at them. (Can they? I seem reasonably sane...)
So, I guess you're not a real big fan of giant bug movies, eh? :D
Hey, there's a cool idea for a movie. A giant potato bug in a hockey mask, chasing people around with a chainsaw. It could work.
Seriously, go to Africa, bounce around in the brush, and you'll either have a heart attack from the bugs getting on you, or you'll just pick them up and toss 'em away, or pick them up and look at them through the opposite end of the binoculars (they act as a magnifyer in this case). There was this really cool fuzzy grasshopper...

TimDoss

Second Unit
Giant bug movies don't bother me... they have yet to use potato bugs. That's really the only one that makes me

cry like a little girl with a skinned knee. Can't wait

for eight legged freaks. And as far as what I've been

sleeping with... all I can say, is stay sober, kids.... stay

sober....

Just about the worst thing I've ever seen in my life was a show a while back on colleges, this one had his students, for

extra credit, eat bugs... this one guy reallllly needed it,

so he ate a potato bug. My god. I've squished my share of

them, and let me tell you, that bag looking thing on the back

of it?? Yeah, it's full of white gunk. That first bite had

to have been really something, I swear I saw his cheek puff

out from the pressure of it. He chewed and chewed and chewed. Horrible. On a brighter note, I finally did get the

urine stain out of the couch.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I'm sorry but I'm becoming convinced that maybe potato bugs are worse that 1000-leggers, since I've been torturing myself looking at "potatobug.com"... That is one HEINOUS bug.
Why on earth is there a "potatobug.com"?! Why oh why?!
YUCK! :frowning:
MC

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
Julie,

The "1000 legger" may be a cousin of a centipede or millapede but it doesn't have a hard exoskeleton like a millipede or centipede.

It's light brown, almost transparent on some parts and moves very fast.

The legs are longer than most centipedes or millipedes and can easily break off kinda like a daddy-long-leg spider.

I still can't find out what it's actually called though.

Brian

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
AH HA!
I finally found a picture and some info.
Here's the little bugger, get it, bug-ger. :D
scutigera.jpg

and here's the web page with some general info
http://www.ent.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/housece.html
Brian

Andy_S

Second Unit
I'm not usually squimish about bugs but potato bugs are just nasty. They're pretty big and have hard feet so you can actually hear their little feet scraping when they're on slippery tile. And those eyes! Those cold, lifeless eyes. Like the eyes of a doll...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
So the thousand-legger is not the same creature as the millipedes (milli-pede = thousand-footed)? In my language it certainly is! Brian's picture looks more like a centipede.
There's also something we call million-leggers (myria-poda), a different specimen. In both cases the count isn't actually correct :). And they're not insects!
In my language a "thousand legger" is also a nickname given to someone who is extremely handy and knows a lot of jobs (is "home on all markets").
Cees

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Drunken Style productions is a DJ collective here in the bay area. They're insane.
The Scorpion Biting videotape is especially crazy. Animal Handler Mitch decided he wanted to eat a live scorpion. DSP videotaped the whole ordeal. He names the scorpion Steve. When asked, 'How is Steve?' Mitch answers in a monotone voice, 'Steve's dead. Steve's dead.'
He starts by riling the (rather large) arachnid in its cage, then picks his up, as it stabs furiously at his hand. He then bites into the scorpion and chews slowly and thoughtfully, stinger and all. Mitch is one brave son of a *****
I never want to see a thousand legger... that's just awful. I'm itching all over just reading this thread.
Skeeter Hawks are common around my apartment right now.. i hate them. They get as large as my palm and hover around my face looking for a way into my mouth.
My theory about all insects, arachnids, etc. They are deeply religous creatures. They are taught from larvae stage to see any human orifice (ear, nostril, mouth) as the path to enlightenment. That's why they are always trying to burrow, scurry or crawl their way in..
Ok.. i'm itching too much now...gotta stop reading this thread.... :D
Joseph

Julie K

Screenwriter
Ah, so 'thousand leggers' are more like a centipede :)
Anyway, Joseph's post reminded me of something I should share.
Did you know it's quite common for roaches to crawl inside a person's ear when they are sleeping? Roaches like small dark places in which to hide (or in which to seek enlightenment) are ears fit the need nicely.
You may all thank me now for keeping you awake tonight :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks