What's new

Thousand Leggers - the most disgusting creature on Earth? (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Why why did I have to click on this thread, I hate creepy crawlies, now after seeing that picture my legs are resting over my monitor, its an uncomfortable position, typing this is a bitch, millipedes yeuchh!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Y'know, bugs didn't usually bother me until I went on a trip to Thailand. Yikes! 5 inch long bugs are kinda scary. They're like snakes...you see one, and you freeze on the spot and stare at it. Like watching a snuff-video...you can't tear your eyes away from it.

Africa is crazy for bugs...remember those giant beetles in the Guinness Book of Records? African! They are beautiful to look at, thankfully, unlike some of the ones listed here.

As for bugs going for the ears...remember that movie about the expedition in Africa that found the source of the Nile? The scene where the leader falls asleep in his tent with the flap open...*shudder*.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I highly recommend the book, "Parasite Rex" by Carl Zimmer. The best book on parasites I've ever read...uh, not that I read any others of course. :)
It also explains why the medical symbol is two snakes curled around a stick...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Julie,
:D
Yes, read all about it in your children-friendly thread.. But they don't tickle that much..
Cees

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody bred those giant African millipedes in designer colors? I'd like a green/blue glow-in-the-dark one please! Just like that bunny!

BTW, is PJ's Weta effects shop named after the cute-and-cuddly potato bugs?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaauugh!!!!!!! eww eww eww eww!!!!!!

Yuck! Nasty blech!!!

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Giant Wetas are very docile creatures and quite harmless. They are very popular little critters here in NZ (I see Wetas occasionally when outside: not the giant variety unfortunately), and are a national icon that approaches the Kiwi (that's the bird, not the fruit).

If you were to stumble across a Giant Weta and stomp on it while visitng NZ, you would probably have to deal with a mob of torch and pitchfork wielding locals. Then you'd be sent to jail.

Adam

Matt MacFarlane

Stunt Coordinator
Remember in the Temple of Doom, when they went into that tunnel with all the bugs. That one on the back of her hand was pretty nasty.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I am not leaving the house again. You guys suck.

And Matt (who started this thread and who I know outside of HTF) You should get a picture of a thousand legger the next time one is at your house so people can see what you mean. I've seen them, and they're really small, but Matt's just a wussy when it comes to things smaller than a few inches that are alive and not mammals or fish.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I can't stand june bugs,them damn things scare the hell out of me.Around here they are thick in the first of may through the end of july.
A funny story my wife loves to tell is one year I somehow managed to get one in my shirt without knowing,& when I went inside & set down I felt something pinching my back,so I went to scratch & about jumpt out of my skin when I realized what it was,I can honstely say I screamed like a little gril that day,My wife was rooling on the floor laughing her ass off at me as I stripped my close off in fear of anymore being on me.:eek:
I think the reason I hate these things so much is they seam to chace you around like a bee would & the make a hoorable noise that just sends chills up my back..

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Joe, this will make you feel better....

Back when I was in grade school one of the most fun things we did was blowing up june bugs. I'd collect them off the screen door and put them under a little tupperware cup. I'd then tie the fuses of two or three firecrackers together and slide them under the cup. Then I'd light the fuse and marvel as the cup flew 10 feet in the air and the june bug was vaporized!

Ahhh.... those were the days.

Although I only live 200 miles away from there now, there are no june bugs here. I must live in a great place bug wise because I almost never see any bugs around (besides the occasional little spider). I almost cried when after my first summer here I realized I went the entire summer without one mosquito bite! I HATE mosquitos since I am thier most treasured morsel.

That potato bug is the sickest bug I've ever seen! Do those things bite. I checked out the link provided on the first page of this thread and it said they "gnaw". I take it they dont bite then? and not poison?

-Marshall

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I got a chill that made my hair stand on end when I clicked on that picture!

Centipedes are the very bane of my exsistence in the summer months. I see as many 25-30 of them in the span of a single summer, which is few compared to some here, but when I do see one, IT MUST DIE!! I am not one of these people who see's an insect in their house and just fluffs it off, no no, when I see one of the little bastards, I will wait it out as long as it takes until it's dead, even if it takes a couple of hours!

I've got a real "Ripley" attitude towards bugs, if I see one, I must wipe it out, pure and simple, which explains why I cheered like the 'Phillies' hit a homer when I watched 'Starship Troopers'. "The only good bug, is a dead bug.". The very words I live by.

The key to dealing with Centipedes? Make RAID your best freind, the stuff works wonders one them. Keep your house well updated with RAID, and I guarentee you'll see less of them.

Apparently this is a june bug.
When I was driving through Missoula, Montana years ago, a giant, fat, Link Removed flew through the car window and landed on the back of my hand. I have to admit that it startled the hell out of me and I nearly lost control of the car. Until just now I wasn't certain what taxa it was. I think that's the little fella. I hope he or she went on to have decendants; I have no hard feelings.
I don't have any wonderful childhood memories of killing things, but I know I chopped a few earthworms in half with the belief that they would become two worms. Such a misguided youth.
Allan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks