Thousand Leggers - the most disgusting creature on Earth?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt MacFarlane, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Matt MacFarlane

Matt MacFarlane Stunt Coordinator

These bugs could easily be the most disgusting creature on Earth with all their legs, crawling all over my wall. [​IMG] I HATE THEM Is there a creature more vile?

2. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Waterbugs - the nexus of all evil. [​IMG]
    --
    Holadem

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Check out these millipedes.
    I think they're cute and would like one as a pet.

5. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

Thousand leggers? Is that what you call a millipede? I've never heard that before.

6. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

If you think millipedes are bad, take a look at a hellgrammite.

8. Matt MacFarlane

Matt MacFarlane Stunt Coordinator

A hellgrammite is definitely worse, but at least they are not crawling around my house.

9. DennisHP

DennisHP Second Unit

10. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Holy shit. I am NEVER going to South America. Read that botfly thing, that is NASTY.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I'd like to light my house with New Zealand glowworms...
    You know what's really scary looking, is those insects that come from Japan that are long, skinny but the kicker is that they have hundreds of legs that are super long compared to their bodies. A millipede, like the kind that Julie has have big body segments and thousands of little legs, whereas this insect has a couple of body segments but hundreds of long and crawly legs that when you step on it turn into a leg and guts gravy.
    Or you could also get a bunch of Wetas
    [​IMG]
    I'm a spyder man myself, I keep tarantulas and also drive a MR2 Spyder :p
    Jay

12. Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin Stunt Coordinator

hehe 1000 leggers. Thanks to my father I still refer to them as bastard bugs.

-Dan

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Thanks Jay - I had been looking for a nice picture of a weta on someone's hand! I think they're most irresistible!

14. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

AHHHHH! BUGS! Oh my god, I'm all itchy now! YUCK!

When I was in college I lived in a house with a punk rock band (they did a speed punk version of The Bay City Rollers' "Saturday Night": "S-A-TUR-DAY!" etc.). Besides the cups filled with solidified chew spit and claw-foot bathtubs falling thru ceilings onto gas ranges, we had THOUSAND-LEGGERS by the thousands! They were the grossest thing ever! Why would nature DO SUCH A THING?!

You'd sit down on YOUR BED and they would shoot up the wall behind you en mass, as if they were all in your covers and stuff! YUCK! I didn't sleep a wink that summer.

Then I moved to AZ, and we had SCORPIONS in the apt instead of roaches. I'd take roaches ANY DAY.

YUCK! I'm itchy!

MC

15. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just thinking about them.... the Jerusalem cricket.... just about the ugliest, nightmare inducing, meanest

looking little bastard I've ever seen. I hate 'em... I hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em. Ok, I'm going to go hide in the

corner now.

16. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I'd rather see a 1000 legger than an earwig.

Just something about those "pinchers" and the fact they're all over the place come spring, summer and fall around my house.

Does anybody know the "scientific" name for 1000 leggers?

Thanks,

Brian

17. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

18. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

19. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

20. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I posted this story over in the "Eight Legged Freaks" anticipation thread over in Movies, but I think a repeat is needed here.

Two years ago I went on an African safari. Much of the time during the day I was in the back of a Land Cruiser (pickup truck style) while it bumped and bounced around the bush. Hazards include coming close to tipping on banks, rain, thorny branches whacking you in the face, and insects.

I really mean it about the insects. You get covered in bugs, insects, arthropods, and all other sorts of creepy crawlies. After a while it becomes way too much trouble to violently react and brush them off. It's just much easier to pick up said creepy crawly and dump him/her over the edge of the truck.

Now, to make a long story short, I dislocated my knee partway through this trip. So here I was sitting in the Land Cruiser with one leg in a full cast. My bare toes stuck out at the end where my foot was resting on part of the roll bar. Along came a very pretty, large hairy spider waddling determinedly towards my big toe. I was a split second from picking it up when my guide went ballistic. He stomped and flailed around (all the while saying it was 'harmless' - yeah right!). After spider was dispatched I learned it was extremely poisonous and I would have probably at least lost that toe had it bit me.

Anyway, you guys want creepy crawlies you should try Africa. There are just some amazing insects there.