1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the skip doctor cd repair thingy

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ChrisHeflen, Nov 16, 2004.

1. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

2. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Eh. I'd guess that people swear by these, but so far I've had 3 skipped disks, and it hasn't fixed a one of them. I think it's mainly a scuff repair. Not too mention the thing is huge and takes up half of my kitchen junk drawer -- and I do mean junk.

Doug

3. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Sometimes its works sometimes it doesnt. Its fixed a few of my cds but not all of them.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

A lot of the CD/DVD resale shops will "repair" your disks for you for a small fee.

Anyone know if they use the same system?

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Sometimes a little water wiped on the surface will get the CD to play. A tiny bit gets into the scratch, filling it in, and stays long enough for the CD to play. I've done this.

I've also fixed one CD by hand polishing it with toothpaste. Toothpaste has mild abrasives and can be used to smooth out small scratches in a CD. However, I also made one CD worse trying this.

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

In my experience, the disk doctor worked very well at repairing damaged video games (had good look fixing a Sega Saturn game, PS1 games, etc).

But I had zero luck with audio CDs.

The used-CD/DVD stores probably have the same thing that the little video gamestore here in town has - it's a big ol disc buffing machine. He puts some compund on it and powers the machine up - buffs the disc down to a finish with it in about 10-15 seconds. Sort of the same principle, but a much different methodology behind it.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It made my Tekken Tag game worse than before the "treatment." I took it to a used CD shop which had a professional resurfacing machine (charged $3) and the game played like new again.

8. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I'd also recommend the professional resurfacing machines. THe place I go to does it for $1 or $2 depending on the severity of the scratch. They've never failed me yet.