What's new

Thoughts on the skip doctor cd repair thingy (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Eh. I'd guess that people swear by these, but so far I've had 3 skipped disks, and it hasn't fixed a one of them. I think it's mainly a scuff repair. Not too mention the thing is huge and takes up half of my kitchen junk drawer -- and I do mean junk.

Doug

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Sometimes its works sometimes it doesnt. Its fixed a few of my cds but not all of them.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
A lot of the CD/DVD resale shops will "repair" your disks for you for a small fee.

Anyone know if they use the same system?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sometimes a little water wiped on the surface will get the CD to play. A tiny bit gets into the scratch, filling it in, and stays long enough for the CD to play. I've done this.

I've also fixed one CD by hand polishing it with toothpaste. Toothpaste has mild abrasives and can be used to smooth out small scratches in a CD. However, I also made one CD worse trying this.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
In my experience, the disk doctor worked very well at repairing damaged video games (had good look fixing a Sega Saturn game, PS1 games, etc).

But I had zero luck with audio CDs.

The used-CD/DVD stores probably have the same thing that the little video gamestore here in town has - it's a big ol disc buffing machine. He puts some compund on it and powers the machine up - buffs the disc down to a finish with it in about 10-15 seconds. Sort of the same principle, but a much different methodology behind it.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It made my Tekken Tag game worse than before the "treatment." I took it to a used CD shop which had a professional resurfacing machine (charged $3) and the game played like new again.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
I'd also recommend the professional resurfacing machines. THe place I go to does it for $1 or $2 depending on the severity of the scratch. They've never failed me yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks