What's new

Thoughts on Sony DVP-NS500V (1 Viewer)

Jon_p_s

Stunt Coordinator
What do you guys think of this dvd player? What is the picture quality like and is the sacd playback any good at all?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jon, for the money ($200 these days), the 'NS500V is an excellent all around value. The picture quality is very good, and SACD playback surprisingly good for the money. Sony's ES SACD players sound better, but for $200, the 'NS500V is quite good. Give it a try.

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
how is it's chroma bug?

/edit: and how is it's picture compared to panasonic RP62, which i might get depending on how much better it's picture is (on a non-hdtv).

Joe.Kuta

Stunt Coordinator
the ns-500v and 700p have the chroma bug. there is a link to it on here somwhere.
i havent' heard much about it however, so i do not think it is that big of a deal.

however someone let me know if it is!!!

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I bought one of these for my brother last year. He watches on a 65 inch Mitsubishi. I have only watched a half dozen things and have not noted anything from this limited exposure. It sounds pretty good on SACDs. Street price is now $179.99 at either bestbuy.com or Crutchfields and you get 5 movies free of their choice (it is on their websites). An open box buy can even more less money at Best Buy. My brother has $2,500 Vienna Acoustics as the left and right and their $1,000 center and my old Mission Argonauts in the rear which are full range and it sounds very good. It is certainly a good deal at this point in time for $180.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Here are the specs per the Crutchfield site:

The DVP-NS500V packages Sony's top-rated picture and sound quality and friendly conveniences in a slim, smart design. Setting up and using this player couldn't be easier thanks partly to onscreen menus that are intuitive and easy to navigate. The first time you zip through a DVD with SmoothScan™ or study a scene frame by frame with SmoothSlow™, you'll agree that Sony has the cleanest-looking search modes in the business.

The DVD experience isn't complete until you've heard your favorite movie in wraparound 5.1-channel surround sound. The DVP-NS500V has built-in Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding and a 5.1-channel output. Connect it to any A/V receiver with a 5.1-channel input for full-on home theater fun. Or connect the player's optical or coaxial digital output to a Dolby Digital/DTS receiver.

This music overachiever not only does a great job playing standard CDs, but also plays stereo and multichannel Super Audio CDs. Hear the full glory of SACD sound in as many as 5.1 channels! (Shop our current list of SACD titles.)

Key Features:
plays DVD-Video discs, CDs, stereo and multichannel SACDs, and audio CD-Rs & CD-RWs
27MHz/10-bit video DAC
SmoothScan search
SmoothSlow forward/reverse
Digital Video Enhancer
DVD/CD Text
Custom Parental Control (50-disc)
Digital Cinema Sound modes
built-in Dolby Digital/DTS decoding with 5.1-channel output
bass management for Dolby Digital, DTS, and SACD
optical and coaxial digital outputs for Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM
2 sets of A/V outputs (2 composite, 2 S-video & 1 component video)
remote control (multibrand for TVs)
192kHz/24-bit audio D/A converter
audio signal-to-noise ratio 115 dB
17"W x 3"H x 11-1/4"D
warranty: 1 year
designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Get a mail-in coupon for 5 FREE DVDs - "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon", "The 6th Day", "Fools Rush In", "Random Hearts", and "Vertical Limit" - from Sony when you purchase the DVP-NS500V! Offer expires 9/30/02. For details, print out this coupon form. (You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this PDF file; if you don't already have Acrobat Reader on your computer, you can download it for free.) A coupon form will also be sent with your order.

Gregg Z

Stunt Coordinator
I've got both the Sony 500V and the Sony 700P. I LOVE the SACD part of the 500V (reviewed favorably in this months "The Absolute Sound" magazine). I think I had the player for about 3 weeks before I ever put my first DVD into it.

My personal opinion is that the 700P produces a better picture on DVD's than the 500V. Unfortunately, the 700P isn't a SACD player. You have to go to the 900V before you get progressive and SACD in the Sony line. I'm not sure about the 900V, but both the 500V and 700P have the chroma bug.

The video quality of the 500V will really depend on the size of your viewing screen. It looked fine on my 36" TV but not so good when the picture was blown up to 110" with my projector. (mpeg decoding artifacts and the chroma bug become much more noticeable at 8 feet wide and almost 5 feet high)

In my opinion, the best bang for the buck right now that covers all of the bases is to buy the 500V to play SACD's (mail order around $179) and buy a Panasonic RP82 (mail order around $220) to play DVD-V and DVD-A discs. Total, both players, would set you back about $400. The RP82 does NOT have the chroma bug and does have the Sage/Faroudja processing chip.

If SACD and DVD-A is of no importance to you, just pick up a Panasonic RP56 or RP62.

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks