What's new

Thoughts on refurbed speakers (1 Viewer)

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Any thoughts on refurbed speakers- pro or con? I'm looking at some JBL Northridge E100s for about $580 shipping included. This is about the same price as a pair of new E90s. I was wondering if there are any inherent problems with refurbs. Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Normally, I might shy away from refurb speakers, but it kind of depends on what the original problem was. There isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with a speaker though, so it is highly likely that whatever went wrong was completely replaced (blown driver, x-over, etc...) especially from the factory. I recently purchased some factory refurb Polk LSI 7s and they seem to be pretty much good as new.

Johnny_M

Second Unit
refurbs should usually be fine. i work for a computer company and when we refurb a computer they have basically the same failure rate as new ones. id go for it. ive never bought refurb speakers but i always buy floor speakers, never had a problem.

Johnny

Johnny_M

Second Unit
warrantys are a waste of money IMO. atleast for me, i upgrade every couple years anyway so why do i need something thats going to be covered for 3 years, 5 years, whatever. most items come with a year warranty anyway. i am 28 years old, never purchased an extended warranty, and have never been burned.

maybe i am just lucky,

Johnny

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
Pus,

Right now, J&R are selling brand new pairs of e100's (black ash finish) at just under $600 shipped. I believe that is the cheapest price you'll find among the online retailers that are authorized JBL dealers. The website lists them as temporarily out of stock but when I ordered mine, they were shipped just a couple of days later. I hope to get them today or tomorrow. Sorry for not answering your question regarding refurbed speakers but I thought you'd might like to know.

With regards,
Darren

Jason GT

Second Unit
If you're willing to go refurb you might as well go used. You can get excellent value simply by going used (and if it's a private sale you may save on taxes if "down there" is like up here).

Regarding extended warranties: I generally wouldn't bother with loudspeakers, especially ones that are relatively inexpensive. There are very few failure mechanisms of a speaker that cannot be economically repaired (unlike, say, needed CRT replacements on a RPTV).

Nicer loudspeakers typically already have a decent warranty.
In certain cases I might consider an extra warranty for powered speakers, but that's a different ball of wax.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Geeze, thanks guys. A ton of good info. I've been literally saving my quarters to make this purchase- so I will check out all the options. Thanks Darren_N- I'll check out J&R- just under $600 shipped is exactly my price range- I have to save the rest of my dough for the matching svs sub :) You wouldn't happen to have a link for J&R would you? I'm a total newb, and not familiar with the vendor. I'm gonna take a look at the used angle too. Thanks again fellas. Pus.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
You know what's weird? I buy (and sell) a fair amount of gear, and I've actually never heard of "refurbed" speakers before. B-stock, yes, but not "refurbs". You might want to check exactly what the definition is. I've only ever seen "refurb" associated withe electronics (receivers, DVD players, etc.) I would make sure you at least get *some* warranty with them. I.e., you get them, open up the box, take off the grill, and there's a dimple in one of the drivers or something. :)

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmm Kevin, interesting point you raise. I was looking at an E100 being sold be "Sell2All" on eBay. The auction for the E100 has expired, so here is a sample of an E90 he is selling- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

He has it listed as refurbed- and if you go to the left side of your pc screen, you will see a link for "Report Card." Under "Functionality" it has an "R" which means "Factory Refurbished to Original Working Condition"

Now what that means I have no bloody idea. I have emailed Sell2All to inquire about warranty information. If & when I get an answer back, I will inquire as to what they mean by refurbished.

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased 2 pair of Refurbed S26II's from the Ebay JBL/HK store. Work done by (JBL) and full factory warranty (5 yrs) and arrived in the factory boxes/packing. I have not one clue that they are not brand new speakers. They are perfect.

These were bid items (I won at $122 and $128 plus $26 shipping per pair) , some are buy it now items. I could not be higher with my purchase.

Johnny_M..... While I may agree on things like Receivers (feature change so often) Speakers OTOH should be a very long term investment. (unless this is your first system knowing you will upgrade later) Speakers IMO are the most important aspect and should be purchased with that in mind.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Don't every buy refurbed unless it's direct from said manufacterer and you get a fat warranty with it.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Those JBL's aren't a shabby speaker. Might not be your cup of tea, but not shabby in the least.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
I have ended up following Darren_N's suggestion of picking up the e100s new at J&W. The free shipping put the speakers smack dab at my $600 budget limit- couldn't pass it up.

The HK/JBL store on ebay looks pretty good- and I think I will cruise there for my surround speakers- e20s I think. Refurbed & bought from the manufacturer with a proper warranty seems alright by me.

That other chap who was selling the refurbed e100s only offered a 30 day warranty- not a good deal in my opinion.

Thanks again for all the advice gents- you all have been a big help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks