What's new

Is this a good build for this room? (1 Viewer)

dsc106

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Hi, pictures attached. As you can see a mid size room with partially open plan to the rear. I currently have a 2010 entry build based on Polk Monitor series and Onkyo receiver and no sub.

I have some spacial/distance challenges for rear surrounds and space behind couch. Otherwise viewing box area seems nice. This is a rental, so I can't drill ceiling holes and I have a lovely lady who doesn't want me to completely take over and turn this into Regal Cinema. Discreet (yet minimizing compromises) is ideal.

I am looking for a killer upgrade that will also give me very strong bang-for-buck, and that makes sense for me in this room. But can also go with me and grow someday in a future, dedicated room. I highly appreciate quality and am a detailed perfectionist, but I am ok with a few compromises to get 80% of the way there with less cost and complexity. I am not an audiophile.

80% movies and games, 20% music, no "critical" music listening.

Here is what I am thinking:

$1150 (Deal!) Front 3: Klipsch RP-280FA Towers & 450c Center.
$750 (Refurb) Receiver: Marantz SR6013 vs Denon X4400H.

PLUS (beyond the scope of this post): HSU/SVS sub, side surround speakers, maybe rear heights to complement the Atmos upfiring.

I thought Atmos upfiring, as controversial and medioce as it is, is extremely cost effective in this setup. But also importantly, simple and discreet. "Better than nothing", no mounting/drilling/wiring needed. The room layout seems conducive to it.

Can I do better for the front 3 for $1150 bang for buck? If so, tell me!

With my goals in mind (and keeping things low profile and discreet, yet still awesome) - what would you do with this room? Should I up the budget a hair ($500ish) to do something way betteer if it exists?

Oh, and uh - Denon 4400H vs Marantz SR6013. Denon has more power, Marantz has more "posh" (whatever that means) and maybe a warmer sound to temper the Klipsch?

Thanks all!

Attachments

• Living Room HT Layout.jpg
    Living Room HT Layout.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Living Room HT Layout - Top Down.jpg
    Living Room HT Layout - Top Down.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 129

dsc106

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
any opinions?

Should I go Chine instead?

Should I push for front heights + rear heights, or too crowded and upfiring best for me?

The Klipsch seem like a great deal on a crowd pleaser.

More power via Denon, better amp via Marantz? I thought they Klipsch were efficient but than many seem to say they also really benefit from more power via the Denon at same price point.

Thanks all

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Denon vs. Marantz, go with which one seems to appeal to you. They're the same company and have shared tech. Some people hate the minimalist, porthole faceplate of Marantz because it's very small and shows very little info. I like it, once I got used to it. I like the ironically low tech look of it. You can always check things with the OSD.

If you go Klipsch, just don't worry about power, plus there is zero real world difference with 10 watts anyway.

For real Atmos, you need reflecting or ceiling mounted speakers. Height speakers aren't true Atmos. You can start with 5.1, then add reflecting modules, or get front speakers with the modules built-in.

I would move the sub from the far left to the far right. As it is in the diagram, it is far too constrained and won't distribute through the room, plus people sitting on the front left of the sofa will be overwhelmed with bass, since it's right next to them, and people on the right side of the sofa will get about 1/20th as much bass. If it's on the front right, it's much more open and all seating will be relatively equal distance from it, so it'll be more consistent.

I have no idea what "chine" is.

dsc106

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Thanks John! Good point on sub.

Ok, so the differences i hear debated are highly negligble for Denon vs Marantz. And neither receivers tuning will do anything to "tame" the klipsch highs (i.e. a warmer marantz sound, or a lower frequency emphasis on the denon)? If that's the case, sounds like I should ignore the power differences and go with the receiver with the best price. Aesthetics are equal to me, I don't care, I will use OSD anyway.

Chine - sorry, typo, I meant Chane, the internet direct speaker company. Also Ascent, HDT, etc.

For Atmos, it seems even if I wanted to follow some people's advice to create a quasi atmos setup with front + side heights, it would be too crowded in my room with insufficient seperation. I am leaning towards 280FA for reflected upfiring modules. I demoed them and compared. In ceiling is better, the upfiring modules still created a more subtle and nice atmosphere. I see the value in them, even if a proper solution is better, it doesnt make them bad (at least from what I demoed).

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Once you’re up to the X4400 levels on Denon there’s not any real performance difference between the brands. The real difference is that Marantz starts at about $1000 retail new where you can get Denons new for $250. The X4400 and the Sr6013 are going to be pretty equivalent, if they’re the same generation. The 6013 was only recently replaced, which might make the 4400 an older model. I don’t keep up on them enough to know for certain.

As far as I know, they both have Audyssey32 and pretty extensive EQs, so you can mold the sound how you want. They both also have mobile apps for adjustment and control.

dsc106

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben
Just for clarity, you say once I'm up to 4400 levels of performance... the 6013 matches denon 3400 levels, right? I think you say this, just to confirm, you mean once I'm up to 4400 / 6013 levels of performance there is no real difference?

Any chance it would be worthwhile for the proposed setup to spend more on Marantz 7000 series, or just overkill / waste for a Klipsch RP 5.1.2 setup?

Would the SR6012 provide enough juice/headroom for an expansion to 7.2.4?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's what happens when I respond on the iPad, because I never explain stuff enough when I'm using it.

In general the Denon X3xxx series is on par with the Marantz SR5xxx, except that the new X3600 kind of bumped things up, along with the price. The Denon X4xxx is about equivalent to the Marantz SR6xxx. The drawback right now on the Marantz SR7xxx series is there don't seem to currently be much in the way of deals.

Keep in mind that if in the future you decide to go all the way to 7.1.4, or not use Klipsch speakers, you can use external amp(s) to get any amount of power you want. When you get into the higher end receivers you have more flexibility.

I'm not up on all the details of the different models, and there's been some rapid change to the hdmi capabilities lately. You want to be certain that any receiver you get is capable of all HDR formats. Honestly, right now, the SR6013 refurb at $750 really is the best deal I see on current models in the range you're considering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhony page
Recent bookmarks