What's new

Thinking about replacing my SVS cylinder with a box? (1 Viewer)

Jim Lyman

Agent
MikeLI,(QUOTE)
I have heard the VTF2... this is not to put down HSU as they are a good company as well but it will not hold a candle to the PB12Ultra in both sound and looks.

I hope so Mike, you are comparing a sub worth almost 3 times the price there. A piano black SVS PB12Ultra $1400. A VTF-2 piano black $470. Then add shipping in, flat rate of $27 for the HSU. SVS ULTRA I don't even want to guess the shipping cost. I'm not knocking SVS I own one but let compare apples to apples alittle closer.

Later, Jim

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
You can get the VTF3 in rosewood for 699$!?!?!?! If so....get it!!

I would rank the VTF2 and the Rocket to be pretty darn close. They both have 10" drivers and go to 25hz. The Rocket has more watts on paper but the Hsu outweighs it by 5 lbs. The VTF3 has a 12" driver and goes to 20hz. It is a beast though and weighs 80lbs!! The Rocket weighs 52 and the VTF2 weighs 57lbs. If you like the looks of the Rocket and it is worth the extra 130$ to you then go for it. If you can swing the VTF3 then I would not hesitate to get it. It is n a different category then the other 2. If it were me it would be a tough call. I love the Rosewood look but that Piano black is very sweet. Tough call.......that's what makes this sooo much fun ;).

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator

I would agree with the above statement, but it actually costs $899. They did have the piano black on sale for $649, but for obvious reasons they are sold out. They are discontinuing this finish, so there will be none in the future. If you like the blond maple, it's $699. If you can spring $899 for the Hsu, then I would listen to Mike Li and get a PB12+ for $999.

Given that, back to question of which sub $600 SW to get? I can't see how you are going to go wrong with Rocket, SVS or HSU. The VTF-2 in glossy piano black was originally $599. I will say again, these look great. Down firing so no cloth cover for the drivers. I believe that this will pass the WAF better than the others.

yc

Check www.av123.com or call them for Bstock, with the various specials you might be able to get the UFW 10 for less than $400...

GregUVA

Auditioning
If you're interested in the Rockets, check the AV123 B-stocks on Monday. They're having a 20% off sale on the B-stocks, and you should be able to get a great deal; you can also buy a gift certificate between now and Wednesday to get a further 5% off. Check often as they'll be updating the page frequently.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Not having heard the VTF-2, my suspicion is that the VTF-2 and UFW-10 are fairly close in performance. The VTF-2 is a ported design while the UFW-10 is sealed. Result being the Hsu will actually probably have slightly better low end extension and output but the UFW-10 will be a bit tighter and more musical. One nice thing the Rocket has that the Hsu doesn't is a single band parametric EQ that will help you tune the sub better to your room. Ultimately both are excellent subs and you can't go wrong with either, it's just a matter of what you're looking for.

You can't really compare the power and weight of these subs as Evan was suggesting. Ported designs require less power than sealed designs (hence the power difference) but as a result of the porting they require a larger box to properly tune the sub (hence the Hsu being larger, requiring more wood, and the additional 5 lbs[or at least some of it]).

Aaron H

Supporting Actor

Thanks for the tip. Jeeze, I never anticipated shopping being this hard. So the regular price of the 10" in rosewood is $599, say the B-stock is $499, and then you get 20% off that? And can you buy yourself a gift vertificate and then get the additional 5% off that? Sounds too good to be true.

And Alex, thanks for the info on the Rocket having the EQ. That is pretty nice, too. I think I'm going to have to pin down the wife for a decision - either gloss black or rosewood. That'll make the decision easier. I could go either way, althought the gloss black would look nice with one of those new, shiney black Pioneer plasma's. :D

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I noticed the EQ on the back of the UFW10 I had a short time to play with yesterday. Wish I had it for a couple of days to play with though.

Jim... you are absolutly right on about the unequal comparison that I made as I was not even thinking dollars for some reason and should have been so thanks for setting the record straight on that... My bad there!

What about the other ULW10's that have the SOS from Rocket? Anyone try or heard these that could compair them to the other 10" Rocket subs. Again I am looking for a small sub or sub(s) if needed just for music. I know that AV123 will have some of these in b stock on monday.

Also again for all of ya... AV123 will have quite a few subs in b stock I think on monday. Don't know what colors and all of that but you better get on the phone and not wait for them to show up on the net if your interested as when I inquired about one last week that was coming up with all the new discounts and such it was an unheard of price... If I was really set on doing what I am thinking of doing... ie; Having two sets of subs, 1 set for HT and one for music in the same system I would be on the phone myself tomorrow. Just not sure I need to add all the extra floor space and such at this point and without one to have and play with for at least a day or two its hard to really get a good ear for it.
MikeL.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Well I hate to throw something else into the mix, but I would also recommend taking a look at http://www.acoustic-visions.com/. I bought a sub from them some 4 years ago and haven't really found a reason to upgrade (yet). They have many levels of subwoofers, which you can get in a variety of colors/veneers to match your room. If nothing else you can check out their customer showcase and check out some of their projects for people.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks