What's new

Thinking about replacing my SVS cylinder with a box? (1 Viewer)

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hi gang,

Right now I have a theater/bonus room (which hardly gets used, by the way). It's fairly big, about 20x20, and I have a SVS PC-Plus, the 25-31. We are most likely selling this house and moving into something much smaller. The TV/Living room will be all in 1, and no where near the size of the current room.

The PC-Plus was much more than I ever needed. I've never really turned it up past two, so I'm thinking in going to a smaller room, it's probably best to downsize and get something smaller to match the room better. And also, I don't think the wife was ever too pleased with the cylinder look, so I was now thinking box.

I would like to sell this sub and consider an SVS box sub. Although I like the look of real wood and it seems like to have to step it up to the $999 PB-12 to get that. The sub will be out in the open so I was hoping for something other than the regular black.

Any ideas? Comments? Suggestions?

Aaron

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Have your wife pick a fabric and re-cover the cylinder.

You can never have too much sub. So switching to a box would be for aesthetic reasons only.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
You know....I never thought of another fabric. I still need to talk to her to get her opinion, but I am pretty sure she's going to want something more non-obtrusive. That's why I was thinking a box.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
You might consider the HSU VTF-3 HO in maple (vinyl). Pre-order price is $799 + shipping. Can be used as an end table next to the couch. You would lose nothing in performance. If you like real wood, you might also consider the HSU VTF-3 MK II in rosewood. $899 + delivery. Not as poweful as the HO but still an excellent performer.

Last year, HSU had a sale on the rosewood model for $200 off. I have no way of knowing, but it is possible that could happen again.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Arthur beat me to it. There are other subs out there other than SVS....GASP......;) . The HSU models mentioned are fabulous subs and look great. I too am in a similar situation. My HT is my main living area and (no offence) the more inexpensive SVS's are not pretty at all. I really wish they would offer nicer finishes. The solid grey, white, tan and black really do not cut it for those of us who want to consider aesthetics into the decision. I saw and heard both SVS and HSU. Both of them are unreal values and the best bang for the buck BAR NONE!! The reason I am going with an HSU is simply because they are a lot nicer looking and not as HUGE. Both of them are fprum sponcer I see so I would give both places an e-mail and see what would work best in your situation and then choose from there. Good luck!!

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I'll definitely have to consider HSU. Not counting them out at all. I went to the site and saw the "$699" sale price on the VTF-3 and then saw the rosewood, and said that's my sub. And then I noticed the "+$200" price for that. :)

We don't watch all that many movies. In fact, I've had the SVS for maybe 2 years and I bet I have less then 20 movies on it total. ANd maybe 30-40 hours of TV. It's sad, I know, but we just don't make it up in the bonus room very often.

That being said, I really want to keep the price about the same as what I can get for the SVS. I have no idea what these are going for used. Maybe $400-$500? I'm going to try not to come out of pocket for another sub, but that may be the trade off to get something nice looking for all to see.

Note that I think the SVS cylinder is cool. :D

Thanks guys,
Aaron

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
The VTF-2 in high gloss is on sale. That might be something to consider, and might be an even trade for my sub. Decisions...decisions......

meeks

Agent
The box subs will play lower than what you had before since they have a native tune of 20hz. There is a b-stock PB12+ on the svs website now for $875.

Sorry, but I could not Disagree more! The Plus and Ultra finishes in the SVS will put ANY HSU to shame. Like you, my HT is my craddle, and I wouldn't have any other sub in there other than the PB12-Ultra in Rosewood.

Aaron, both SVS and HSU are great subs, and hard to beat. Do a search in this forum for Ed Mullen's $600 shootout between the pb12-ISD and STF-2, and you will see some really nice info on both of these great subs. As for the finishing, sorry (as Evan M said, "no offence") but the wood finishes in the SVS higher tier models are incredible! take a look:

community.webshots.com/user/ssabripo

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Shervin.......re-read my post. I clearly said in the first line you quoted me.......'the more INEXPENSIVE SVS's are not pretty at all."
I certainly would not consider the PB12 Ultra as the inexpensive sub in the SVS lineup. Again, I am not bashing SVS, I am simply saying the the inexpensive subs from SVS are not what I would call.....an attractive sub. The HSU VTF2 and 3 in the "wood" finish or high gloss is soooooo much nicer LOOKING than an inexpensive box or cylinder from SVS. Lets be realistic.....if you took the VTF subs and the inexpensive SVS subs and put them in front of people, which ones do you think people will say look nicer????

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Well, I have an email into HSU. I see the gloss black VTF-2 is on sale and I'm curious to know if that's truly limited stock, or what. And also to see if the VTF-3 in rosewood might be on sale anytime soon again.

Are there pretty substantial differences between those two subs? I need to start doing some reading I guess....

Aaron

Yong Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like you have enough opinions

I'll give you my 2 cents anyways,
I was in a similar situation except without the wife.
I went with the Hsu VTF3MKII in glossy black. I think I got one of the last ones they sold. Originally, they were selling for more than the rosewood finish. IMO, the comparable priced SVS subs did not look nearly as nice as the Hsu's. I have a set up with an Elite plasma in all black. When people come over to watch movies, the first thing they notice is the beautiful looking sub. This includes the women. It just looks so sweet.

YC

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I will have to disagree as well. The new finishes by SVS in different real wood are very well done. They are made by the same folks that make boxes for a lot of well know speakers companies and also the Rockets which are known for their looks. I had the old black PB12+2 which I would still have and put up with the color today if the new line up of real wood SVS subs had not come out. I was in the same boat that the poster at the top was. I did not need all the power this thing had and rarely used it past about 1/4 on the gain. I switched to the Oak PB12Ultra+ and could not be happier. Great sounding sub and super looking that now matches everything in my room. I have heard the VTF2... this is not to put down HSU as they are a good company as well but it will not hold a candle to the PB12Ultra in both sound and looks. Sorry but thats my opinion. These wood cabinets out do even the very expensive show room expensive and well known models.
MikeL

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Hsu subs are an excellent choice. I also strongly suggest checking out the Rocket UFW-10 and UFW-12 from AV123. These are great sounding subs and finished in real wood. These are the folks that make the real wood subs for SVS. [Mike, I'm surprised you didn't suggest this!] The UFW-10 may be just what your wife is looking for as it is relatively small. The new UFW-12 is a fairly large sub though smaller than any of the real wood SVS offerings. Their 12" sub does come with RDES which is a very nice bonus. RDES is a digital equalization system that helps tame a sub to its room and location. The UFW-10 is available in rosewood, ebony, and birdseye maple while the UFW-12 is available in rosewood, piano rosewood, high gloss black, ebony, and birdseye maple.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I'll have to check out the Rockets. I actually have a pair of the Swan 2'1's (in the closet) and I've always been happy with them.

When you say real wood, do you mean real solid wood, or real wood veneer?

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
I mean real wood veneer. I don't know of any that actually use real, solid wood though I'm sure there are a few.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Alex I did mention that AV123 was making the wood cabinets. I did not mention their subs as personally I have not had the opportunity to hear one until today. I sold an SVS PB12+2 and the guy that bought it also had a UFW10 and let me listen to it but we just had a few minutes. I am really wanting to spend more time with these subs. I think the UFW 12 would be too big as what I really am trying to so is see about setting up a dual use system with ported sub(s) for HT and sealed subs as the UFW's by 123 for music. Make any sense..
Mike

Evan M.

Supporting Actor

Maybe I am missing something but what are you disagreeing on? Like I said before......the inexpensive box SVS subs are ugly.......they offer NO wood veneer unless you want to spend $1000. The poster already stated he wants to keep it between 400 and 500$. That would put any wood SVS out of range AND the UFW10 out of range by $100. Now if you can swing an extra $100 than certainly consider the UFW10. If you want to stay in the price range you gave than the Hsu VTF2 in maple (vinyl.....but it look very good) for 499 is still your best bet. Another VERY NICE looking sub is the VTF2 in that piano black finish. It is $469 and man that looks SWEET!!

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I didn't know that you hadn't heard any of their sub offerings until today. If one has the option, I definitely agree with going SVS for HT and the UFW line for music. I'm seriously considering a UFW-10 for the upgrades I hope to do on our 2CH system.

I know the UFW-10 is $100 above what Aaron is looking to spend but give the guys a call and see what they can do. It's a fantastic little sub and will definitely fit receive the WAF.

Alex

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,

the rocket does look nice and the price is reasonable. The budget I initally gave was just sort of a rough number. It obviously all depends on how much the PC+ sells for. My main goal was not to come out of pocket anything at all. But if I had to for $100 or so, that's not a biggie.

Would you guys recommend the Rocket in rosewood at $599 over the VFT-2 in gloss black at $469 or the VFT-3 in rosewood for $699?

Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks