What's new

Things that baffle you? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Sams cards have the member's photo on the back (or did - haven't had to get mine replaced in many years) - but they no longer even require you to show your card on entry and scanning it at a register doesn't do anything but verify the account is active and the few checkout lanes actually staffed haven't looked at cards in years - the customer scans it at the register themselves. I assumed they stopped the practice as it could slow entry down considerably, especially if there were more than a few people lined up to get in the store.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Here in southeast Texas, Costco has started to require a photo ID. So far only the Costco "Business" store near me asks to see the photo. I had a new card made with my photo on the back.

The two Sam's I regularly visit do ask for the card upon entering the stores. I simply show them my ID # on the Sam's app on my phone, and I then use the app to check myself out and never go through the checkout lines.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
My Costco card has always had my photo on it. I've assumed they must give it a cursory comparison during checkout which is why they were concerned about self-checkouts where no one was checking the photo against the customer.

But unless they're checking photos at the door, just scanning the card on entry is no different than one person using someone else's card at self-checkout. All it does is verify that the card/account is active.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The two Sam's I regularly visit do ask for the card upon entering the stores. I simply show them my ID # on the Sam's app on my phone, and I then use the app to check myself out and never go through the checkout lines.

My local Sam's does the same thing. I have my Sam's card in the most visible pocket in my wallet, and the one end of the card sticks up out of the pocket, so it's visible. I just hold my wallet open as I walk in, showing it to the checker.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service San Francisco Bay Area
1224 PM PST Thu Feb 8 2024

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM PST
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Temperatures as low as 33 will result in frost
formation.

I was always under the impression that 32F was the freezing point. If temps bottom out at 33, there should be no frost.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why on March 8, the current Top 10 list of most popular film purchases at Amazon has The Grinch at #4 ?

1709924455317.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Makes me think that someone is ready to squawk about something in the film, and it’s going to be censored, or unavailable in its original form.
I thought maybe there was a sale on Illumination Animation titles with the new release of Migration, but I didn't see anything that looked special.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
With all the huge data breaches that take place we're still rushing to put everything "online." Offline is the safest method. Period. I've yet to be convinced that any personal data "needs" to be widely available.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Why this supermarket settled on such an odd "sale" price for this item. Most stores would probably be $3.99. But they want to get that extra nickel, I guess.

View attachment 218512
Strangely, no one could find the page that was on in the weekly ad circular… 🤣

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Anytime I do a "force stop" on an app, it tells me that doing so might cause the app to not function properly.

If it was working properly, I wouldn't be trying to do a "force stop".
So basically, it's not working anyway, so why does the app claim it won't work on a force?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
So basically, it's not working anyway, so why does the app claim it won't work on a force?
Not "won't" but "might not" - if an app is in the process of writing a file, especially if it's a configuration/settings type file, when it's forced shut it's possible the write will corrupt and cause things to not work properly. That said - I've only seen this happen once or twice in the 25+ years I've been doing computer support.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks