What's new

THIN SIDE FIRING SUBWOOFER RECOMMENDATIONS (1 Viewer)

coramdeo

Auditioning
Real Name
Rod
I have a mix-match home theater system for our small family room and am looking for a "thin" powered subwoofer to fit behind our entertainment center. I have an Onkyo TX-SR309 receiver with 65w-85w/per channel. I've been looking at the Yamaha NS-SW210 (6.5" wide). The specs sound good, but the $200+ price tag is somewhat high for my budget. I would appreciate any suggestions!!
[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
There aren't a whole lot of options when it comes to those requirements.

Essentially, subwoofers are meant to "move air". Their ability to move lots of air is governed by two factors: 1) the area of the driver surface (so a larger woofer - 12" or more - is a necessity), and 2) the excursion, or travel, of the woofer (in and out) as it produces sound.

Hence, 99% of subwoofers are in big boxes.

With a small, thin enclosure, you're dramatically limiting both of these factors, so don't expect much in terms of performance.

That being said, I did a quick search on Amazon and found this option. Less than 5" deep, so it fits your geometry requirements. I have no firsthand experience with this, but the reviews seem mostly positive.

coramdeo

Auditioning
Real Name
Rod
Thanks for your reply Jason. In your opinion, would the Yamaha Sw210's quality justify the $90 difference in price?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is the best "flat" sub...and I never recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/KEF-T2-Subwoofer/dp/B004ISLCSE/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1356387407&sr=1-2&keywords=kef+t+subwoofer

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
coramdeo said:
Thanks for your reply Jason. In your opinion, would the Yamaha Sw210's quality justify the $90 difference in price?
Hard to say for certain. The Yamaha is smaller, but "claims" to reach 30Hz, while the other is a larger driver and has more power (subs are the only speaker where power actually matters). It's also sort of a no-name brand...
If I had to pick one, I'd probably take a chance with the one from Amazon, just because it's cheaper and I don't think a 50% price jump is going to be worth 5 Hz. With subs you want size, power, and low end. The Amazon sub has the edge in 2 out of 3...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jason Charlton said:
Hard to say for certain. The Yamaha is smaller, but "claims" to reach 30Hz, while the other is a larger driver and has more power (subs are the only speaker where power actually matters). It's also sort of a no-name brand...
If I had to pick one, I'd probably take a chance with the one from Amazon, just because it's cheaper and I don't think a 50% price jump is going to be worth 5 Hz. With subs you want size, power, and low end. The Amazon sub has the edge in 2 out of 3...
Not really. The only true thing to say about subs (or the bass portion of any speaker) is stated in Hoffman's Iron Law - http://www.salksound.com/wp/?p=56
For an odd sized sub like this, I'd go DIY. You have 6.5" of depth but what are your other limitations on size (height and width)?

coramdeo

Auditioning
Real Name
Rod
I don't mean to impose on your time, but I have a couple of additional questions. What are your thoughts about the Yamaha YST-SW80 and would I need to provide space between the subwoofer and the wall. It would be a perfect fit between the wall and my entertainment center.
P.S. Merry Christmas . . .

coramdeo

Auditioning
Real Name
Rod
Enough said!! I get the message. I found the SW80 on ebay. The frequency range 23-170HZ sounded great, but I'll take your hint and stay with the amazon product. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks